Este sitio web utiliza cookies propias y de terceros para su funcionamiento, mantener la sesión y personalizar la experiencia del usuario. Más información en nuestra política de Cookies

National visas

General information​​ 

Third-country nationals require a national visa when they are going to stay in Spain for more than 90 days (in any 180-day period) for the purposes of work, study or establishing their residence. They also need a national visa when moving to Spain to work for a period of under 90 days. 

Citizens of the European Union or of the States of the European Economic Area or Switzerland do not need a visa to establish their residence in Spain or for long-term studies or to work. However, once in Spain, they must be entered on the Register for Citizens of the Union. Family members accompanying them, and who benefit from the right to free movement, must apply for a residence permit in Spain. If they need a stay visa because of their nationality, they must obtain a visa for family members of a citizen of the Union (see section "Visas for family members of a citizen of the Union"). 

The national visa allows the holder to travel to Spain and to transit through and move around the territory of any Schengen State for a maximum of 90 days. However, it does not automatically entitle them to enter the Schengen area. The border authorities can refuse entry if not all entry requirements are met (See section "Conditions for entry into Spain").

Data protection​​ 

The processing of personal data of visa applicants is done in accordance with the General Data Protection RegulationIt opens in new window

Persons wishing to exercise their rights of access, rectification and erasure of their personal data in the Visa Information System (VIS) may do so by addressing the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the European Union and Cooperation: 

Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores, Unión Europea y Cooperación
Inspección General de Servicios
Postal address: Plaza de la Provincia, 1, Madrid, España
Email:​It opens in new window 

The following forms may be used to do so: 

Persons whose visa application has been refused because they are banned from entering the Schengen area may exercise their rights of access, rectification and erasure of their personal data in the Schengen Information System (SIS) by addressing the Ministry of the Interior. 

To obtain more information on your rights and duties and on how to exercise your rights of access, rectification and erasure of data included in the SIS, please refer to the website of the Spanish Data Protection AgencyIt opens in new window.


Complaints or suggestions​​ 

Complaints or suggestions about the service received or about the visa application procedure can be submitted online through thi​s websiteIt opens in new window. They may also be submitted in writing at this Consular Office.  


Basic Legislation​​ 

  • Organic Law 4/2000 of 11 January, on Rights and Freedoms of Foreigners in Spain and their Social Integration

  • Royal Decree 557/2011 of 20 April, approving the Regulation of Organic Law 4/2000 on the Rights and Freedoms of Foreigners in Spain and their Social Integration, following its amendment by Organic Law 2/2009   

  • Act 14/2013 of 27 September, on Support for Entrepreneurs and their Internationalization ​​