Este sitio web utiliza cookies propias y de terceros para su funcionamiento, mantener la sesión y personalizar la experiencia del usuario. Más información en nuestra política de Cookies


Student (National) Visa

Visa for stays exceeding 90 days for studies, training, internships or voluntary work. This visa may also be issued for stays for au pairs and for conversation class assistants.  

Study stays of less than 90 days do not require a study visa. Depending on the applicant's nationality, a short-stay visa may be required (see “Schengen visas"). 

The following family members may obtain a visa to accompany the student: 

  • The spouse or unmarried partner.
  • Children who are minors or who have a disability. 

Visas for students' family members do not constitute work permits. 

Activities for which a study visa may be obtained​​​ 

  • Full-time studies at an authorized school that will lead to the obtainment of a degree or certificate of studies.
  • Doctorate studies.
  • Training activities.
  • Student mobility programmes at compulsory and/or non-compulsory secondary education level at an officially recognized teaching or scientific centre.
  • Training placements at public or private bodies or entities that cannot be covered by internship visas (see “Internship visa").
  • Volunteer services in the framework of programmes pursuing public interest goals.
  • Au pair programmes.
  • Conversation class assistants.

Required documents for the student​​ ​​

1. National visa application formIt opens in new window completed, dated and signed by the applicant. ​

2. Photograph. One recent, passport-size, colour photograph, taken against a light background, facing forward, without dark or reflective glasses, or any garments concealing the oval of the face. 

3. Valid passport. The passport must be valid for the duration of study. Where the passport has been issued less than one year, also present the previous expired passport. For passport holders who are not nationals of Jamaica, Antigua and Barbuda, The Bahamas, Dominica or St. Kitts and Nevis, a copy of the corresponding resident and/or work permit must be submitted.

4. Confirmation of enrolment in programme issued by the institution in Spain. If student is pursuing an exchange programme, a letter from the foreign institution will also be required. 

  • Acceptance at an authorized teaching centre to carry out a full-time study programme.
  • Acceptance at a research or training centre.
  • Acceptance into a student mobility programme (in this case, the applicant must also provide proof of acceptance at a study centre, of having found accommodation with a family or at an institution, and the commitment of the organizer of the programme to bear the costs).
  • Acceptance for a non-remunerated internship on the basis of a signed agreement.
  • An agreement with the organization responsible for the volunteer programme. 

5. Proof of financial means. A recent letter from the bank stating account balance for the last three months, date of the last deposit, and the currency. Applicant must demonstrate monthly source of income (the equivalent of at least 579.02 euros per month).

6. Travel itinerary indicating name of passenger (it is not necessary to purchase the airline ticket prior to the submission of the visa application). Please note that students can enter no earlier than 15 days before the start of their course.​

6. Health insurance. Original and a copy of the certificate accrediting the public or private health insurance contracted with an insurance entity authorized to operate in Spain. The insurance policy must cover all the risks insured by Spain's public health system. 

If the applicant is participating in a volunteer programme, in addition to the medical insurance, they must provide a copy of the civil liability insurance policy taken out by the organization. 

7. Police Record Certificate issued by all countries of residence within the past 5 years. The certificate must bear the Apostille of the Hague and will be translated by this Embassy (fee outlined below). The police record is NOT required for minors (those under 18 years of age) or students spending less than 80 days. ​

8. Medical certificate ​issued by a registered physician (must use the template provided by this Embassy (p​lease e-mail to request document). Applicants requiring a visa for a stay of more than 180 days must submit an original medical certificate accrediting that they do not suffer from any disease that could cause serious repercussions for public health pursuant to the 2005 International Health Regulations.  

9. Minors i.e. children under the age of 18 must submit the following: 

    • Original and photocopy of birth certificate
    • A notarised authorisation letter from their parents or legal guardians to study in Spain
    • Information of the Host Family including: names, addresses, and photocopies of D.N.I.
    • Sworn Declaration of the Host Family expressing their knowledge of the stay of the minor is not for means of adoption, and their promise to return the minor to his/her home country

12. Payment of the visa fees. The visa fees are as follows:


  • J$13,792.00 (national visa processing fee)
  • J$9,244.00 (translation of police record – cost per sheet)

The visa fees are to be paid in cash upon submission of visa application and are non-refundable. 

Please, bring exact change.


National visa processing fee                                      USD90.00

Translation of police record (cost per sheet)          USD60.00

Courier Charges for return of passport                   USD50.00

The total is USD200.00 and should be sent in the form of a Bank Draft made in the name of Embassy of Spain. Payment must be made in US dollars.  The application and supporting documents may be sent to this Embassy via FedEx or DHL (address in footer). It is not necessary to submit in person as biometrics are not required.

Required documents for family members​ 

For each family member accompanying the student, the documents listed above must be provided.

Moreover, the certificates proving kinship with the student (marriage certificate, unmarried couple certificate, or birth certificate, as applicable) must be provided. Foreign documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish. 

When necessary to assess the application, the Consular Office may request additional documents or data and may also ask the applicant to come in for a personal interview.  


This Consular Office is competent to accept visa applications from individuals residing in the consular district or who are regularly in the consular district for study purposes even if they are not a resident. 

Applying for a study visa also entails applying for a study stay permit. 

  • Who can apply for a visa: The application must be submitted no more than 90 days in advance to the intended travel date​

  • Visa application period: Visa applications must be submitted sufficiently in advance of the beginning of the pertinent study programmes, as the procedure entails consultations with other authorities.  
  • Place of submission: Applications must be submitted in person at the Consular Office. An appointment is necessary.   
  • Proof of receipt: The Consular Office will provide the applicant with proof of receipt of the application with a code that enables them to check the status of the dossier through the following link: opens in new window 
  • Rectifying the application: The Consular Office may ask the applicant to submit any missing documents, or to provide additional documents or data that are necessary for a decision regarding the application.   The applicant may also be called in for a personal interview. 
  • Decision period: The legal period for reaching a decision is of 1 month from the day after the application submission date, but this period may be extended if an interview or additional documents are requested. 
  • Collecting the visa: The visa must be collected in person by the applicant or by their representative (if the applicant is a minor) within a maximum period of 2 months, counted as of the day after the date on which the favourable decision is notified. The Consular Office will inform the applicant regarding the procedure for the return of the passport and any other original documentation.  
  • Refusal of the visa or study stay permit: Refusals of the visa or study stay permit will always be notified in writing, setting forth the grounds on which the decision adopted was based. 
  • Appeals: If a study stay permit or visa is refused, the applicant may submit an appeal for reconsideration to this Consular Office within 1 month of the day following the date on which notification of the refusal is received. An application for judicial review may also be filed with the High Court of Justice of Madrid within the 2-month period beginning the day after the date on which the applicant receives notification of the visa refusal or of the dismissal of the reconsideration appeal. 
  • Validity period of the visa: If the study stay does not exceed 6 months, the visa will be valid for the entire stay and it will not be necessary to obtain a Foreigner Identity Card. 

    ​If the study stay is for longer than 6 months, the visa will be valid for a 90-day stay. The student must apply for a Foreigner Identity Card within a period of 1 month from their entry into Spain, at the Foreign Nationals' Office or the Police Station of the province in which the permit was processed.