Este sitio web utiliza cookies propias y de terceros para su funcionamiento, mantener la sesión y personalizar la experiencia del usuario. Más información en nuestra política de Cookies

Frequently Asked Questions

March 30, 2022

​Click on the question to reveal its answer.

How can I get the Foreigner Identification Number (NIE)? 

 It is very easy to request the NIE, but you will need to come to the Embassy. It is fully explained h​ere​It opens in new window

I have been given a traffic fine/ticket in Spain. How can I pay for it? 

You will have to pay through the Sede E​le​ctrónica​It opens in new window​ of the Spanish Traffic Authority (Dirección General de Tráfico).

Can I travel to Spain with my pet?  

 Travelling with pets is regulated by the EU. Please be aware of the restrictions posed by AENA  (Spanish Airport Authority) and check the website of the Spanish Ministry of Agriculture. The rules are different if you travel ​with a cat, dog or ferret (perros, gatos y huro nesIt opens in new window) than if you travel with other animals (otros animal​es​). It is also advisable to check with your airline and your vet whether other rules apply. ​

I got married in Spain. How can I request a marriage certificate?  

You have to request it to the Civil Registry in Spain. Please refer to this web​​site​It opens in new window​ for further information.

​My underage son/daughter is travelling to Spain on his/her own or with relatives other than his/her parents. Does he/she need documents other than his/her passport? 

As a general rule, a child under 18 years of age can travel on his own to Spain if he holds a valid passport. It is always advisable to check whether the airline the child is travelling with needs supplementary documentation.   

Even in the absence of any requirements, it is always good to​ have the parents' written consent. The parents can compose a letter of consent themselves. It can be in the language of the country of destination or in English. The letter should include the travel details and the parents' contact information and be signed by them.

More information is available in the webs​ite​It opens in new window of the Finnish Ministry for Foreign Affairs. 

I'm travelling from Finland to Spain and I have to carry prescription medication with me. What should I do?

You can travel to Spain from any EU airport with medication bought in Finland as a part of a treatment. If you need to travel with your medicines, please bear in mind the following: 

- Carry your medication in your hand luggage (check your airline's regulations before travelling). If you can, pack a spare supply of medication in your checked-in or hold luggage. Bear in mind that if your baggage is lost, you will also lose your medication. Although it is possible that your treatment is available in Spain, it is also possible that it is only available through hospital or medical prescription. 

- Always carry your medication in its original, correctly labelled package. Do not extract it to put it in a pillbox or a different box. 

- Take your doctor's prescription with you. The prescription should show the treatment that has been prescribed, its dosage and the names of both doctor and patient. Also carry a translation of the prescription into Spanish or English. Bear in mind that Border Control or Customs Agents may ask you to prove that the medication you carry is really yours. 

-Do not carry other people's medications in your luggage. 

-It is also good to have a medical report (translated into Spanish ​or English) with your personal data, the illness the medication was prescribed for, the treatment that has been prescribe and its dosage. It can be very useful in case of inspection or if you need a new prescription in Spain. 

- If you need to take other medical equipment (e.g.  needles or syringes) with you, you will need a medical report that certifies the need to use that equipment, as it can be requeste​d by Customs Agents or airline/airport Security Officers. Check if your airline has any restrictions regarding this type of equipment.  

- There are specific rules that apply to controlled substances (in Spanish: medicamentos psicotrópicos y/o estupefacientes sometidos a fiscalización internacional), i.e. medicines that are included in the Lists I to IV of the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs of 1961 as amended by the 1972 Protocol​It opens in new window. These medicines are controlled by EU authorities, so if you need to take them with you to Spain as part of a treatment, you will need a document called a Schengen Certificate. In Finland these documents are obtained at pharmacies. Please read the information in the kanta.fiIt opens in new window and Finnish C​ustoms​​ websites.

If you need further information, y​ou can visit A​E​NA​'s​It opens in new window website (in​ English).​