Este sitio web utiliza cookies propias y de terceros para su funcionamiento, mantener la sesión y personalizar la experiencia del usuario. Más información en nuestra política de Cookies

National visas

July 6, 2022
Third-country nationals require a national visa when they envisage staying in Spain for more than 90 days (in any 180-day period) for the purposes of work, study or establishing their residence. They also need a national visa when moving to Spain to work for a period of under 90 days. 

Citizens of the European Union or of the States of the European Economic Area or Switzerland do not need a visa to establish their residence in Spain or for long-term studies or to work. However, once in Spain, they must be entered on the Register for Citizens of the Union. Family members accompanying them, and who benefit from the right to free movement, must apply for a residence permit in Spain. If they need a stay visa because of their nationality, they must obtain a visa for family members of a citizen of the Union (see Schengen visas | Relatives of an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen​​).

The national visa allows the holder to travel to Spain and to transit through and move around the territory of any Schengen State for a maximum of 90 days. However, it does not automatically entitle them to enter the Schengen area. The border authorities can refuse entry if not all entry requirements are met (See section Conditions for entry into Spain​).


Applications for a residence visa must be submitted at the Spanish consular office of your place of legal residence. Legal residents in Ireland should submit their applications at the Embassy of Spain in Dublin. Please write an email to and ask for an apointment.

If you are not a legal resident in the Republic of Ireland, the Embassy of Spain in Dublin will not accept your application for a visa, whatever your nationality.


Fees for residence visas must be paid by credit card or in cash. The standard consular fee for a national visa application is now 80 euros.


Personal data of visa applicants is processed in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation.  Those wishing to exercise their rights of either access, rectification or erasure of their personal data in the VIS can do so by writing to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the European Union and Cooperation.


Postal address
Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the European Union and Cooperation
Inspección General de Servicios
Plaza de la Provincia, 1
28012- Madrid

The following forms may be used: 

a) Right of access (Spanish-English version)
b) Right of rectification (Spanish-English version)
c) Right of erasure​ (Spanish-English version) 

Those ​whose visa application has been refused because they are banned from entering the Schengen area may exercise their rights of access, rectification and erasure of their personal data in the Schengen Information System (SIS) by writing to Spain’s Ministry of the Interior. 
For more information on your rights and duties and on how to exercise your rights of access, rectification and erasure of data included in the SIS, please visit the website of the Spanish Data Protection Agency.


Your views are important to us. Should you have any complaint, remark or suggestion about our visa procedures, please send an email to