Nationals of the following countries require a visa to transit through the international area of any airport located in the territory of the Schengen States in order to take a connecting flight to a country outside the Schengen area: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia and Sri Lanka.
In addition, nationals of the following countries require a visa to transit through the international area of any airport located in Spain in order to take a connecting flight to a country outside the Schengen area: Cameroon, Côte d'Ivoire, Cuba, Djibouti, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, India, Liberia, Mali, Republic of Congo, Sierra Leone, Syria, Togo and Yemen. Holders of passports issued by the Palestinian Authority also require a visa.
Nationals of the States included on the foregoing lists do not require an airport transit visa if they have a Schengen visa, or another type of visa, or a residence card permitting their return, issued by a Member State of the European Union or of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, or by Andorra, Canada, the United States of America, Japan, or San Marino, or by any of the overseas countries and territories of the Netherlands, or if they are a diplomatic passport holder, or a family member of a citizen of the EU or of the EEA, or a flight crew member of a State that is party to the International Civil Aviation Organization.
The airport transit visa enables transit through the international area of airports located in the Schengen area but does not permit entry into the territory of the Schengen States. When a connection entails a change in airport terminal that requires going through a border control, it will be necessary to apply for an ordinary Schengen visa.
The following documents should be submitted alongside any application for a Schengen airport transit visa. Please note that the Embassy may contact you later on and request additional information.
• Passport of the applicant with at least two consecutive blank pages, valid for at least three months after the duration of the anticipated stay and issued in the last ten (10) years.
• One copy of the page of the passport with biographic data.
• One Schengen visa application form completed, dated and signed.
• One recent passport-sized photograph of the applicant (35-45 mm), on a white background, full front, on which the applicant must be bareheaded, without dark glasses or any other item that may hinder identification. Veils or head coverings are permitted on religious grounds, provided all facial features are clearly shown on the photograph. Photographs of minors must not show any part of the adult holding them.
• Irish certificate of registration (GNIB card) valid for at least three months after the visa expiry date (original and copy).
• Copy of earlier Schengen visas on previous passports
• Documentary evidence of the continuation of the journey onto the final destination following the planned transit. Applicants must provide proof that the journey they are taking involves an international layover in an airport in Spain
• Entry permits for the country of destination and any other layovers.
• In case of minors (below 18 years), the application form must be signed by both parents.
• If just one parent will accompany the minor during his travel to Spain, a notary authorisation by the other parent. In case of sole custody, official document proving such.
• If the minor will travel unaccompanied by any of their parents, a no objection affidavit from both parents.
• Evidence of residence in Ireland: GP or school letter.