Este sitio web utiliza cookies propias y de terceros para su funcionamiento, mantener la sesión y personalizar la experiencia del usuario. Más información en nuestra política de Cookies

Telework (Digital nomad) Visa

​Before applying for a telework visa, it is necessary to obtain a N.I.E.  (Número de Identidad de Extranjero / Foreigner Identity Number). Please check the procedure and the necessary documentation in the following link: ​Foreigner Identity Number (N.I.E.)​​

This visa is intended for nationals of third countries who travel to Spain to carry out a remote work or professional activity for companies located outside the national territory, through the exclusive use of computer, telematics and telecommunication media and systems.

This visa does not apply to citizens of the European Union or to those to whom European Union law applies. 

In the case of exercise of a labor activity, the holders of a telework authorization of international character will only be able to work for companies located outside the national territory.

In the case of exercise of a professional activity, the holders of a telework authorization of international character will be allowed to work for a company located in Spain, as long as the percentage of the above-mentioned work does not exceed 20% of the total of his/her professional activity.

Qualified professionals may apply for a visa or telework authorization if they accredit being graduates or postgraduates from universities of recognized prestige, professional training and business schools of recognized prestige, or a minimum of 3 years of professional experience.

The following family members of the worker may also obtain a family visa: 
  • ​The spouse or unmarried partner.
  • Children and adult children who are financially dependent on the worker and who have not created a family unit of their own.
  • Relatives in the ascending line under the worker's care.


1. National visa application form.pdf:  Each applicant, or their representative, must complete and sign a visa application form, filling in each of its sections. 

2. Photograph: 1 recent, passport-size, color photograph, taken against a light background, facing forward, without dark or reflective glasses, or any garments concealing the oval of the face.

3. Valid, unexpired passport: Original and photocopy of the page (or pages) of the passport that contain biometric data. The passport must have a minimum validity period of 1 year and contain two blank pages. Passports issued more than 10 years ago will not be accepted. 

​Non-U.S. citizens must also submit their U.S. Green Card or long-term stay visa (original and a copy). B-1 and B-2 visa holders cannot apply for a visa in the United States; they must apply in their country of residence or origin.

4. Proof of residence in the consular district: The applicant must be a legal resident in our consular jurisdiction (Washington, D.C., Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia and North Carolina). 

​Residence must be proved by one of the following, valid documents: U.S. Driver’s License, State ID. Original and photocopy.

5. Foreign Identification Number (N.I.E.): Certificate of Assignment of N.I.E.

6. Certificate of the state Division of Corporations (similar institution to the Mercantile Registry in Spain) showing the date of Constitution of the company and the type of activity performed. This certificate must prove real and continuous activity for at least 1 year of the company or group of companies with which the worker maintains a labor or professional relationship.

This document must be apostilled and submitted together with an official translation into Spanish.

7. Company certificate, reflecting:

  • If the worker is employed: Seniority of the worker in the company (at least 3 months), the worker’s income, and explicit permission from the company for the worker to carry out his/her job remotely from Spain. 
  • If the worker is self-employed: Length of the contractual relationship, as well as the terms and conditions under which the worker will exercise the professional activity remotely. ​
This document must be submitted in Spanish or accompanied by a translation to Spanish.

8. Financial means: Documents proving sufficient own financial means, or accrediting a regular source of income for the teleworker and, where applicable, for the family members accompanying them.

The minimum required amount is equivalent to 200% of Spain's Minimum Interprofessional Salary (in 2023, aprox. $2.300) (SMI in 2023: 1.088 €). 
For accompanying family members, an additional 75% of the SMI (in 2023, aprox. $810) is required for the second family member and an additional 25% of the SMI (in 2023, aprox. $270) must be added for each additional member counting from the third member of the family.

These amounts can be accredited, among others, with a contract, certificate of the company, etc.

9. Criminal background check certificate: Applicants of legal age (18 years and older) must submit the original and photocopy (not notarized) of their criminal background check certificate(s) issued by the country or countries of residence for the past 2 years.

  • The criminal background check must be issued by the U.S. Department of Justice – Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). We do not accept State or Local Police Background Check.
  • The background check must be issued within the 6 months preceding the submission of the visa application.
  • The background check must be authenticated with The Hague Apostille. We do not accept background checks without the Hague Apostille.
  • The Apostille must certify the signature on the Criminal Background check, not any other signatures. We do not accept apostilles that certify the signature of a notary that stamps a seal on the criminal background check.
  • The criminal background check will not be accepted if it has been altered or damaged in any way, including damage caused by removing staples. 
  • The background check must be accompanied by an official translation into Spanish by a sworn/certified translator (the translation does not need an Apostille and the Apostille does not need a translation). 
If the applicant has spent more than 6 months (more than 180 days) during the last 2 years in another country (outside the USA or Spain), an additional criminal background check from every country of residence must be provided. The criminal background checks must be authenticated with the Hague Apostille, unless it is issued by an EU member state. The criminal background check issued by an EU authority does not need to be apostilled to be accepted. If the country in which the applicant has lived in the past 2 years does not subscribe to The Hague Convention of 1961, the background check must by authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the issuing country and then by the Consulate of Spain in said country. The background check must be accompanied by an official translation into Spanish (if the original is not written in Spanish).

Please submit the original and photocopy of all the documents: Background check, Apostille and official translation.

You may find certified translators through the AMERICAN TRANSLATORS' ASSOCIATION​

10. Declaration of responsibility (original and photocopy) of the absence of criminal records in the countries in which you have resided during the past 5 years. Signed declaration template.docx

11. Health insurance: Proof of public or private health insurance arranged with an insurance company authorized to operate in Spain, that covers all the risks insured by Spain's public health system for the entire duration of the authorization. 

The health insurance must not have a deficiency, copayment, or coverage limit; that is, it must cover all of the medical, hospital and out-of-hospital expenses, preventive, diagnostic, treatment and rehabilitation assistance that are carried out in health centers as well as urgent health transport. Travel insurance is not accepted.

12. Proof of coverage in the Social Security system. This can be:
a) Certificate of Coverage issued by the US Social Security, indicating that the worker meets the conditions of the US – Spain Agreement on Social Security (in case of coverage by international standard of coordination of Social Security Systems, as the US–Spain Agreement, regarding retirement, survivors and disability insurance);


b) Proof of registration (or having requested registration) in the Spanish Social Security System.
Responsible declaration of the company (or of the self-employed worker) where the commitment appears, prior to the start of  work or professional activity, to comply with the obligations of the Spanish Social Security System.

The Proof of registration can be: 
  • Registration of the company in the Spanish Social Security System, or;
  • Registration of the teleworker as a Self-Employed worker (RETA: Régimen de Trabajadores Autónomos de la Seguridad Social española) in the Spanish Social Security System.​
Please note that, if you do not have (as a non-resident foreigner) an electronic certificate or CLAVE, you will not be able to make the electronic registration request or obtain the aforementioned proof. In this case, you can obtain it through an authorized legal representative in Spain who will use a valid electronic certificate to interact and carry out all types of procedures with the Spanish administration.

13. Copy of the degree or documentation that proves a professional experience of at least 3 years.

14. Payment of the visa fee: In cash or via money order. 
  • Citizens of the U.S.: $190
  • Other nationalities: $88
  • For nationals of Australia, Bangladesh, Canada, Ethiopia, Mauritania and the United Kingdom, different rates are applied for reasons of reciprocity. In these cases, the amount of the fee must be consulted with the Consular Office. ​
15. Self-addressed and Pre-Paid US “Express-Mail" envelope from USPS to have your passport returned by mail. We do NOT accept any other type of courier or messenger service (NO FEDEX OR UPS). Tracking of mailed items is the sole responsibility of the applicant.


​For each family member accompanying the worker, the following must be submitted:

  • All the required documents specified in sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 11, and 14. Where applicable, those specified in 9, 10 also. In the case of minors, the visa application must be signed by one of their parents or by a duly accredited representative;
  • Documents proving family relationship with the worker: Birth or marriage certificates issued by the civil registry, certificate of registration as an unmarried couple or any other document proving that the relationship is an unregistered partnership. Foreign documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish.
  • In the case of adult children, documents proving their financial dependence and civil status. Foreign documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish. 
  • In the case of relatives in the ascending line, documents that prove they are under the worker's care. Foreign documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish.  ​


This Consular Office is competent to accept visa applications from individuals residing in the consular district. 

  • Who can apply for a visa: Visa applications must be submitted in person by the applicant, or by one of their parents if the applicant is a minor. They may also be submitted through a duly accredited representative.
  • Place of submission: Applications must be submitted in person at the Consular Office by appointment only.
Once you have all the required documents you must scan and email them to If there is not enough space to include all the attached documents, you can send them in different, numbered emails. Please do not send emails if you do not have all the required documents yet. When we receive all the required documents, we will answer your mail and schedule an appointment to come in person to the Consular Section of the Embassy to submit the application.
Please write the email subject as follows: “APPOINTMENT REQUEST. TELEWORK VISA. Given Name FAMILY NAME. Email Number

  • Proof of receipt: ​The Consular Office will provide the applicant with proof of receipt of the application with a code that enables them to check the status of the dossier through the following link: 
  • Rectifying the application: The Consular Office may ask the applicant to submit any missing documents, or to provide additional documents or data that are necessary for a decision regarding the application. The applicant may also be called in for a personal interview. 
  • Decision period: The legal period for reaching a decision is 10 days as of the day after the submission date of the application, but this period may be extended when an interview or additional documents are requested. 
  • Collecting the visa: The Consular Office will inform the applicant regarding the procedure for the return of the passport and any other original documentation.
  • Visa refusal: Visa refusals will always be notified in writing, setting forth the grounds on which the decision adopted was based.
  • Appeals: If a visa is refused, the applicant may submit an appeal for reconsideration to this Consular Office within 1 month of the day following the date on which notification of the refusal is received. An application for judicial review may also be filed with the High Cour​t of Justice of Madrid within the 2-month period beginning the day after the date on which the applicant receives notification of the visa refusal or of the dismissal of the reconsideration appeal.
  • Validity period of the visa: The visa is valid for a maximum of 1 year, unless the work period is shorter, in which case the visa will have the same validity as this period.
The telework visa is sufficient title to reside and work remotely in Spain during its period of validity, so it is not necessary for the worker to obtain the Foreigner Identity Card. However, the worker may request this card at the Immigration Office or at the corresponding Police Station.