Obtaining a NIE
You can come Fridays 9AM-12PM without an appointment.
Documentation required to apply for a NIE at the Consular Office
- EX-15 standard application form (original and one copy), completed and signed by the applicant or representative.The form should preferably be completed online and printed.The application form must indicate the economic, professional, or social reasons that justify the NIE application.
- Original of the applicant's valid passport and a copy of the passport's biographical data page.Nationals of Member States of the European Union may identify themselves with their identity document (original and one copy, front and back).If the application is presented by a representative, only the certified copy of the document should be provided.
- If the NIE is requested via a representative, the original and a copy of the representative's identity document or passport must also be presented, together with a power of attorney in which it is expressly stated that this representative is empowered to present the NIE application.
- If the applicant is a minor or is incapacitated, a copy of the family record book or the birth certificate or the guardianship document must be presented. In addition, the valid passport or ID of the parent or guardian must be shown.
- Document proving residence in the Consular area, Driver LIcense or ID: Maryland, Virginia, Washington DC, North Carolina or West Virginia.
- Form 790, code 12, duly completed, and payment of the corresponding fee.
In 2022, the fee is $11 cash or Money Order under Embassy of Spain.
Document processing and delivery time
A NIE is assigned by the General Commissariat for Immigration and Borders, under the aegis of the Spanish Directorate-General for the Police. The Consular Office cannot shorten the document processing time. The NIE is normally issued within 10-15 days, but this period may be extended by factors beyond the control of the administration. The NIE is sent to the applicant by email. Therefore, an email address for notification purposes must be provided on the application form.
Important information about the NIE
The NIE is a personal, unique and exclusive number that is assigned to foreigners who, for economic, professional, or social reasons, are engaged in activities related to Spain and require identification in this country.
A NIE obtained via the Consular Office identifies the bearer to all levels of the Spanish public administration, but does not entitle the holder to reside in Spain or prove residence there.
Foreigners who wish to become residents in Spain must be aware of the possible need to obtain a visa beforehand. Citizens of the European Union, once established in Spain, must register at the Central Registry of Foreign Nationals.
- Organic Law 4/2000, of 11 January, on the rights and freedoms of foreigners and their social integration.
- Royal Decree 557/2011, of 20 April, regulating the implementation of Organic Law 4/2000, on the rights and freedoms of foreigners and their social integration, as amended by Organic Law 2/2009.
Obtaining a HUNTING PERMIT