Este sitio web utiliza cookies propias y de terceros para su funcionamiento, mantener la sesión y personalizar la experiencia del usuario. Más información en nuestra política de Cookies

Non-working residence visa

Visa to reside in Spain without carrying out any gainful (work or professional) activity, provided that the applicant has sufficient and guaranteed means to live on. This visa does not constitute a work permit. 

The following family members may also obtain the visa: 

  • The spouse or unmarried partner.
  • Dependent children and dependent relatives in the ascending line who form part of the family unit. ​
We will only answer questions which cannot be resolved with the information on the website.​​

All applications must be submitted unfolded and must include photocopies of the following original documents (if required in your application): Passport, RCMP Criminal records check with fingerprints and photo, medical certificate, birth certificate, marriage certificate and notarized documents). Please note that if you do not send the photocopies, the Consulate will keep the original copies.

Required documents​​ 

1. National visa application formIt opens in new window. Each applicant must complete and sign a visa application, filling in each of its sections. Please include the Spanish province where you are going to live.​

2. Non-working residence visa application formIt opens in new window. ​Each applicant must complete and sign a copy of the EX-01 form, filling in each of its sections, and two copies of Form 790-052It opens in new window (There is a fee associated to this form, 16.00 CAD).​​​

3. Photograph. A recent, passport-size, colour photograph, taken against a light background, facing forward, without dark or reflective glasses, or any garments concealing the oval of the face. It must conform to ICAO standardsIt opens in new window, stamped with date and place where the photo was taken.

4.Valid, unexpired passport. The original and a photocopy of the page or pages of the passport that contain biometric data must be submitted. The passport must have a minimum validity period of 1 year and contain two blank pages. Passports issued more than 10 years ago will not be accepted.  

5. Proof of financial means. Three most recent bank statements. Bank statements from other countries must be legalized. Investments will be considered a supporting document. You must have the total quantity when you apply for the visa. The applicant must submit the originals and a copy of the documents proving that they have sufficient financial means to cover the expenses of residing in Spain for the initial year of the residence permit, or accrediting that they have a regular source of income, for themselves and, where applicable, for the family members accompanying them. The minimum required amount is equivalent to 400% of Spain's Public Multiple Effects Income Indicator (IPREM). To this amount must be added 100% of the IPREM for each family member in the applicant's care. You must prove that you have enough economic means to live in Spain without working for the whole period that you want to stay in Spain. You must justify CAN $ 3500 per month, and CAN $ 900 per month for every member of your family.

6.Proof of public or private health insurance from an insurer recognized and authorized to operate in Spain. The insurance must cover all risks normally covered for nationals and must be maintained for the entire duration of the authorization.​ ​It must cover at least all the preventive, diagnostic, treatment and rehabilitation assistance activities that are carried out in health centers or socio-health centers, as well as urgent health transport. It must be health insurance (not travel). Therefore, it is not necessary to cover repatriations and/or evacuations. The health insurance must not have a deficiency, copayment, or coverage limit, that is, it must cover 100% of the medical, hospital, and out-of-hospital expenses.​

7. Criminal Record Certificate no more than five months before the application date (Legalized with the Hague Apostille Certification issued by Global Affairs Canada only and translated into Spanish). Documents issued by the Government of Canada. This includes federal agencies and bodies such as the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) will be apostilled by Global Affairs Canada only. Criminal Record Certificates issued by the RCMP headquarters in Ottawa do not need to be notarized as long as they are signed by the Director General of the Canadian Criminal Real Time/Identification Services, and they contain the official RCMP dry seal. Applicants of legal age who apply for a visa for a stay of more than 180 days must submit the original and a copy of the criminal record check certificate(s) issued by their country or countries of residence for the past 5 years. It must be a negative criminal record issued by the RCMP containing fingerprints and photo of visa applicant. If in the last five years, you have resided in another country, a criminal record from the authorities of that country. 

8. Medical certificate.  (Legalized with the Hague Apostille Certification issued by Global Affairs or the Local Authorities and translated into Spanish).​Applicants requiring a visa for a stay of more than 180 days must submit the original and a copy of a medical certificate accrediting that they do not suffer from any disease that could cause serious repercussions for public health pursuant to the 2005 International Health Regulations. The medical certificate must say: "This medical certificate confirms that Mr./ Ms. […...] does not suffer from any of the diseases that can have serious implications for public health in accordance with the provisions of the 2005 International Health Regulations”

9.Proof of residence in the consular district. The applicant must provide proof of their legal residence in the consular district or that they are attending classes, in person, in the consular district. (Accepted documents, * dirver´s licence, * school, college, or university report card or transcript​, * residential lease (rental agreement lease), mortgage statement, or Agreement of Purchase and Sale, * vehicle ownership or insurance document, * recent utility bill (telephone, cable, hydro/power, gas, or water)

10.Payment of fees. CHECK THE VISA FEE HEREIt opens in new window​. We ONLY accept cash, money order or certified cheque payable to the Consulate General of Spain in Toronto. For nationals of Australia, Bangladesh, Canada, the United States of America and the United Kingdom different rates are applied for reasons of reciprocity. All the fees can be paid in the same cheque. 

To pay the fee for the residence permit at the Consular Office, the applicant must complete all the fields of, and sign, two copies of Form 790-052It opens in new window, ticking box 2.1 (initial temporary residence permit). 


In this case, the parent who is not travelling to Spain will have to sign a letter of consent in front of a Notary, after that the letter has to be authenticated by Global Affairs Canada and after it has to be legalized by our Consulate.

If the parent who travels with the minor has share custody of the child, they will have to submit a legal document in which the parent not travelling states to be aware that the child is going to Spain with the other parent and gives the permission for this. This needs to be a court sentence and has to be authenticated by Global Affairs Canada and then legalized by the Consulate.

If the custody is not shared custody, that document needs to be a court sentence and has to be authenticated by Global Affairs Canada and then legalized by the Consulate. For more information about the legalization process, check this LINK​It opens in new window.

Required documents for family members.​ For each family member it will be necessary to submit:​

  • All the required documents specified in sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. For minors, the visa application and the residence permit application must be signed by one of their parents. 
  • Documents constituting proof of family relationship with the applicant accrediting financial means: birth or marriage certificates issued by the civil registry, certificate of registration as an unmarried couple or any other document substantiating an unmarried partnership with the applicant. Only documents from outside of Canada must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with an official translation into English or Spanish. If the applicant travels with the family, each member of the family must submit an independent visa application, the documents to be enclosed and a document proving the relationship (marriage or birth certificate, as the case may be). All family applications can be sent in the same envelope.​
  • In the case of adult children, documents proving financial dependence, the adult child's civil status and that they continue to form part of the family unit. 
  • In the case of relatives in the ascending line, documents proving financial dependence and that they form part of the family unit. Foreign documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish. Please not that it is not necessary for the visa application, but you will need them to be legalized or apostilled and translated in order to be valid in Spain.

When necessary to assess the application, the Consular Office may request additional documents or data and may also ask the applicant to come in for a personal interview.


This Consular Office is competent to accept visa applications from individuals residing in the consular district.

All non-working residence visas require the obtainment of an initial residence permit, which is processed at the same time as the visa application. 

  • Who can apply for a visa: Visa applications must be submitted in person by the applicant or by an authorized representative just in cases of long distances or proven difficulties in traveling. ​Appointments are personal and may be booked by sending an email to (, indicating the following:

    1. Email subjet: First name;Last name;NLV VISA APPOINTMENT​​


    2. Email body:

    • POSTAL ADDRESS:​ (City, Postal code).
    • The first page of your passport showing the photo.

  • ​​Rectifying the application: The Consular Office may ask the applicant to submit any missing documents, or to provide additional documents or data that are necessary for a decision regarding the application. The applicant may also be called in for a personal interview. 
  • Decision period: The legal period for reaching a decision is of 3 months from the day after the application submission date​, but this period may​ be extended if an interview or additional documents are requested. 
  • Collecting the visa: The visa must be collected personally by the applicant without the need for a prior appointment, within a maximum period of 1 month, counting from the day following the date on which the favorable resolution is notified.​ The Consular Office will inform the applicant regarding the procedure for the return of the passport and any other original documentation.   
  • Refusal of the residence permit or visa: Refusals of the residence permit or visa will always be notified in writing, setting forth the grounds on which the decision adopted was based. 
  • Appeals: If a residence permit or visa is refused, the applicant may submit an appeal for reconsideration to this Consular Office within 1 month of the day following the date on which notification of the refusal is received. An application for judicial review may also be filed with the High Court of Justice of Madrid within the 2-month period beginning the day after the date on which the applicant receives notification of the refusal of the visa or residence permit or of the dismissal of the reconsideration appeal. 
  • Validity period of the visa: The visa will be valid for 90 days. Once in Spain, a Foreigner Identity Card must be applied for within a period of 1 month from the applicant's entry into Spain, at the Foreign Nationals' Office or the corresponding Police Station.