Este sitio web utiliza cookies propias y de terceros para su funcionamiento, mantener la sesión y personalizar la experiencia del usuario. Más información en nuestra política de Cookies

Study visa


Foreigners wishing to conduct research, training (non-salaried basis), and take studies in educational centers (public or private) officially recognized in Spain, or have been accepted as Languages or cultural assistants must apply for this type of visa.

Canadian citizens (or any other nationality that does not require visa to enter in Spain) visiting for less than 90 days for studies purposes do not need to apply for this visa.

All foreign public documents must be translated into Spanish and apostilled by the competent Authority of the issuing country according to the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961, unless said document is exempt from legalization under the International Convention.

​​​Place of submission: The application for authorization to stay for studies may be submitted in person or representation, requesting a prior appointment.

Appointments are personal and may be booked by sending an email to (, indicating the following:

1. Email subjet: First name;Last name;STUDY VISA APPOINTMENT


2. Email body:

    • POSTAL ADDRESS:​ (City, Postal code)
    • INTENDED​ DEPARTURE DATE FROM CANADA: dd/mm/yyyy - The study visa cannot be used for tourist purposes.
    • ONE identification document in PDF format, PASSPORT and PROOF OF RESIDENCE IN CANADA and Certificate of admission issued in Spain by any authorized university or school​
Visa applications must be submitted sufficiently in advance of the beginning of the pertinent study programmes, as the procedure entails ​consultations with other authorities. The process to get this type of visa might take approximately 4 weeks or more. This General Consulate recommends not purchasing plane tickets until your visa has been granted. The validity of the stay authorization will coincide with the official duration of the studies or the activity to be carried out.​

The Consulate General of Spain in Toronto has full authority to evaluate and request documents in addition to those initially submitted by the applicant.
    • Visa for stays exceeding 90 days for studies, training, internships or voluntary work. This visa may also be issued for stays for au pairs and for auxiliares de conversación.  
    • Study stays of less than 90 days do not require a study visa. Depending on the applicant's nationality, a short-stay visa may be required (see “Schengen visas"). 

Only the following family members may obtain a visa to accompany the student: 

    • The spouse or unmarried partner.
    • Children who are minors or who have a disability. 

Visas for students' family members do not constitute work permits. 


All the applications must be submitted unfolded and must include photocopies of the following original documents (if required in your application): Passport, RCMP Criminal records check with fingerprints and photo, medical certificate, birth certificate, marriage certificate and notarized documents). Please note that if you do not send the photocopies, the Consulate will keep the originals. 

Activities for which a study visa may be obtained​​​ 

    • Full-time studies at an authorized school that will lead to the obtainment of a degree or certificate of studies.
    • Doctorate studies.
    • Training activities.
    • Student mobility programmes at compulsory and/or non-compulsory secondary education level at an officially recognized teaching or scientific centre.
    • Training placements at public or private bodies or entities that cannot be covered by internship visas (see “Internship visa").
    • Volunteer services in the framework of programmes pursuing public interest goals.
    • Au pair programmes.
    • Conversation class assistants.



1.  One National visa application formIt opens in new window.   Each applicant must complete and sign a visa application, filling in each of its sectio​​ns. If the applicant is a minor, one of their parents or a duly accredited representative must sign the application.  

* * * Please DO NOT add paper clips, staples, sheet protectors or sticky notes or any other materials to your application.

2. One Photograph. A recent Canadian visa-size (35 mm X 45 mm), colour photograph, taken against a light background, facing forward, without dark or reflective glasses, or any garments concealing the oval of the face. It must conform to ICAO standardsIt opens in new window, stamped with date and place where the photo was taken. The photograph must show the full front view of the head, with the face in the middle of the photograph, and include the top of the shoulders.​​

* * * Please DO NOT staple or use any other option besides glue to attach the photo to the form.

3. Passport. Original and a photocopy of the page or pages with biometric data of the passport. The passport must be valid for at least the entire duration of the planned stay and have two blank pages. Passports issued more than 10 years ago are not accepted.

4. A document proving the reason of your stay:

a) Certificate of admission issued in Spain by any authorized university or school, verifying enrollment as a full-time student, leading to obtaining a degree or certificate. The certificate must detail: Name of the program, duration (start and end dates), address, phone number, name of the person in charge of the program (the certificate of admission must be presented in Spanish). If you are an AUXILIAR DE CONVERSACIÓN, acceptance letter of the Comunidad Autónoma in Spain.

b) Research or training: Proof of admission to an officially recognized institution in Spain for research or training activities.

c) Internship: Proof of being admitted to a public or private company or training center officially recognized in Spain and copy of the agreement signed with a public or private entity.

d) Au pair: A copy of the agreement signed with the family where you are going to reside as au pair for a maximum of one year. It should state that if you are going to perform domestic work, it should be a maximum of five hours per day; and that you will enjoy a free day per week. This day must be at least one Sunday per month; The address of the house, and that you are going to enjoy a certain independence; The money that you are going to receive as pocket money per month; And the possibility for you or the family to terminate the agreement with a prior notice of two weeks. In order to apply for a student visa, the au pair must be enrolled in a Spanish course of a minimum duration of 20 hours a week.​

e) Volunteer work: A copy of the agreement signed with the organization running the volunteer program and proof of liability insurance.

5. Proof of financial means. Three most recent bank statements. Bank statements from other countries must be legalized. Investments will be considered a supporting document. You must have the total quantity when you apply for the visa. Original and a copy of the documents proving that the applicant (or their legal representative or the family member supporting them) has sufficient financial means to cover the expenses of the student's stay and return, as well as the stay and return of the family members accompanying them. The minimum required amount is equivalent to 100% of Spain's Public Multiple Effects Income Indicator (IPREM). To this amount must be added 75% of the IPREM for the first family member and 50% of the IPREM for each additional family member. If proof is provided that accommodation for the entire stay has been paid for in advance, this amount will be deducted. If your parents are to cover the costs, you must present a notarized letter signed by them indicating their consent and a copy of their bank statement for the last three months. 

      • If the student is a minor. Notarized letter from the parents or legal guardians assuming full financial responsibility for​ at least $1000 per month for room and board. Suggested wording: “I hereby certify that I'm ​​the (father/mother/other) of (...), will support him/her with a monthly allowance of at least $1000 while he/she is in Spain and that I'm financially responsible for any emergency that may arise", along with their bank statements for the last three months and applicant’s Birth certificate.

6. Proof of public or private health insurance from an insurer recognized and authorized to operate in Spain. The insurance must cover all risks normally covered for nationals and must be maintained for the entire duration of the authorization.

It must cover at least all the preventive, diagnostic, treatment and rehabilitation assistance activities that are carried out in health centers or socio-health centers, as well as urgent health transport.

It must be health insurance (not travel). Therefore, it is not necessary to cover repatriations and/or evacuations.

The health insurance must not have a deficiency, copayment, or coverage limit, that is, it must cover 100% of the medical, hospital, and out-of-hospital expenses. Minimum coverage 30,000 EUR.

      • If the applicant is participating in a volunteer programme, in addition to the medical insurance, they must provide a copy of the civil liability insurance policy taken out by the organization. 

7. Criminal Record Certificate no more than five months before the application date (Legalized with the Hague Apostille Certification issued by Global Affairs Canada only and translated into Spanish). Documents issued by the Government of Canada. This includes federal agencies and bodies such as the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) will be apostilled by Global Affairs Canada only. Criminal Record Certificates issued by the RCMP headquarters in Ottawa do not need to be notarized as long as they are signed by the Director General of the Canadian Criminal Real Time/Identification Services, and they contain the official RCMP dry seal. Applicants of legal age who apply for a visa for a stay of more than 180 days must submit the original and a copy of the criminal record check certificate(s) issued by their country or countries of residence for the past 5 years. It must be a negative criminal record issued by the RCMP containing fingerprints and photo of visa applicant. If in the last five years, you have resided in another country, a criminal record from the authorities of that country. 

8. Medical certificate.  (Legalized with the Hague Apostille Certification issued by Global Affairs or the Local Authorities and translated into Spanish).​Applicants requiring a visa for a stay of more than 180 days must submit the original and a copy of a medical certificate accrediting that they do not suffer from any disease that could cause serious repercussions for public health pursuant to the 2005 International Health Regulations. The medical certificate must say: "This medical certificate confirms that Mr./ Ms. […...] does not suffer from any of the diseases that can have serious implications for public health in accordance with the provisions of the 2005 International Health Regulations”.​

9. Proof of residence in the consular district. The applicant must provide proof of their legal residence in the consular district or that they are attending classes, in person, in the consular district. (Accepted documents, * dirver´s licence, * school, college, or university report card or transcript​, * residential lease (rental agreement lease), mortgage statement, or Agreement of Purchase and Sale, * vehicle ownership or insurance document, * recent utility bill (telephone, cable, hydro/power, gas, or water)

10. Proof of the representative's identity and capacity. If the applicant is a minor, it will be necessary to submit copies of the identity document or passport of one of their parents, as well as of the document constituting proof of kinship. The originals must be shown when submitting the application. If the visa application is submitted through a representative, a copy of the identity document or passport of the representative and of the power of attorney or document accrediting representation must be submitted. The originals must be shown when submitting the application. Foreign documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish. 

11. Authorization of legal representatives. If the applicant is a minor, it will be necessary to provide the original and a copy of the parents' or guardians' authorization of the minor's temporary relocation to Spain, certified by a notary, which must also name the individual who will be responsible for the minor in Spain. Foreign documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish. 

12. In the case of a minor student, you must also submit an authorization of your parents or guardian/legal tutors signed in front of a Notary and then legalized with the Hague Apostille Certification and translated into Spanish. It must indicate the dates that the child will be staying in Spain, the school where the studies are going to take place, the information about the legal tutor who will take care of the minor while in Spain. This legal consent document for the minor can also be signed at the Consulate of Spain and will not need to go to Global Affairs Canada. Furthermore, a Sexual police certificate from the tutor in Spain. In addition, a Notarized letter from the tutor indicating that the minor will be taken care of while in Spain and including this text: "This placement will not mean any kind of adoption and the legal tutor will make sure that the minor returns to Canada when they wish or when finish the study period in Spain."

13. Proof of accommodation. Sometimes the institutions where you are going to study, do research or be ACCA include in their letter of admittance that they will provide you with accommodation. That is enough. Otherwise, you need to prove that you have arranged a place to stay in Spain. Private housing must be accompanied by a letter of invitation issued at a police station in Spain. Your host will know how to obtain it.

14. Payment of the visa fee. CHECK THE VI​SA FEE HEREIt opens in new windowWe ONLY accept cash, money order or bank draft (no personal checks) payable to the Consulate General of Spain in Toronto. For nationals of Australia, Bangladesh, Canada, the United States of America and the United Kingdom different rates are applied for reasons of reciprocity. 

Required documents for family members​ 

For each family member accompanying the student, the following must be submitted: 

      • The documents listed above as 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 12. Where applicable, 10 must also be provided.

Moreover, the certificates proving kinship with the student (marriage certificate, unmarried couple certificate, or birth certificate, as applicable) must be provided. Foreign documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish. 

When necessary to assess the application, the Consular Office may request additional documents or data and may also ask the applicant to come in for a personal interview. 


This Consular Office is competent to accept visa applications from individuals residing in the consular district or who are regularly in the consular district for study purposes even if they are not a resident. 

Applying for a study visa also entails applying for a study stay permit. 

    • Who can apply for a visa: Visa applications must be submitted in person by the applicant or by an authorized representative just in cases of long distances or proven difficulties in traveling. Appointment must be requested in advance by sending an email to If the applicant is a minor, the application must be submitted by his/her parents or legal guardian. 
    • Visa application period: Visa applications must be submitted sufficiently in advance of the beginning of the pertinent study programmes, as the procedure entails consultations with other authorities.  
    • ​​Rectifying the application: The Consular Office may ask the applicant to submit any missing documents, or to provide additional documents or data that are necessary for a decision regarding the application.   The applicant may also be called in for a personal interview. 
    • Decision period: The legal period for reaching a decision is of 1 month from the day after the application submission date, but this period may be extended if an interview or additional documents are requested. In order to avoid inconveniences and delays, please make sure to submit your visa application at least 60 days in advance to the intended travel date as the final desicion is made by Immigration Department in Spain. 
    • Collecting the visa: The visa must be collected personally by the applicant without the need for a prior appointment, within a maximum period of 1 month, counting from the day following the date on which the favorable resolution is notified.​ The Consular Office will inform the applicant regarding the procedure for the return of the passport and any other original documentation.  ​ ​
    • Refusal of the visa or study stay permit: Refusals of the visa or study stay permit will always be notified in writing, setting forth the grounds on which the decision adopted was based. 
    • Appeals: If a study stay permit or visa is refused, the applicant may submit an appeal for reconsideration to this Consular Office within 1 month of the day following the date on which notification of the refusal is received. An application for judicial review may also be filed with the High Court of Justice of Madrid within the 2-month period beginning the day after the date on which the applicant receives notification of the visa refusal or of the dismissal of the reconsideration appeal. 
    • ​Validity period of the visa: 

​a) If the study stay does not exceed 6 months, the visa will be valid for the entire stay and it will not be necessary to obtain a Foreigner Identity Card.

​b) ​If the study stay is for longer than 6 months, the visa will be valid for a 90-day stay. The student must apply for a Foreigner Identity Card within a period of 1 month from their entry into Spain, at the Foreign Nationals' Office or the Police Station of the province in which the permit was processed.