Este sitio web utiliza cookies propias y de terceros para su funcionamiento, mantener la sesión y personalizar la experiencia del usuario. Más información en nuestra política de Cookies

Non-Working (Non-Lucrative) Residence Visa

February 28, 2024


Visa to reside in Spain without carrying out any gainful (work or professional) activity, provided that the applicant has sufficient and guaranteed means to live on. This visa does not constitute a work permit. 

The following family members may also obtain the visa: 

  • The spouse or unmarried partner.
  • Dependent children and dependent relatives in the ascending line who form part of the family unit. 
Due to high volumen of request, there may be times when Non Lucrative visa applicants are required to send an email to to request a date to submit the documents with the subject "NON.LUCRATIVE".

Include this mandatory information (Emails that do not follow the below format, won't be answered):​

Name and last name of the applicant (for a family group, include all the applicant's names in the same email).

  • Email address 
  • Phone number 
  • Type of visa  
  • Intended dates of travel  
Visas applications will be accepted BY POSTAL MAIL: No specific carrier is requested but it is necessary that the envelope has a tracking number:

SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94109-5417

Required documents​​ 

1. ​Visa Application form 2024.pdf. Each applicant must complete and sign the visa application, filling in each of its sections. For minors, the visa application and the residence permit application must be signed by all their parents/legal guardians

2. Photograph.pdf​. Recently issued (not older than 6 months).An updated photo-paper picture, passport size, facing forward, light/white background, without dark or reflective glasses, or any garments concealing the oval of the face.Photographs of toddlers or babies must not show any part of the adult holding them.

  • One picture glued (not stapled) to the National Visa application form 
  • Second same picture not glued with the name and last name on the back.​

3. Formulario EX01 - solicitud residencia temporal no lucrativa.pdfIt opens in new window. The applicant must complete all the fields as follows: 

  • ​​1.DATOS DEL EXTRANJERO: address in Spain. If you don´t have an address fields for CITY and PROVINCE in Spain must be filled in.
  • 2.DOMICILIO A EFECTOS DE NOTIFICACIONES: address in the US to be notified.
  • 3. TIPO DE AUTORIZACIÓN SOLICITADA: check INICIAL, check OTROS writing "Residencia no lucrativa".

    Form must be signed by the applicant (For minors, the form must be signed by all their parents/legal guardians)


4. form 790 code 052.Request for Residence Autorizaton permit fees.

  • Include a money order to CONSULATE GENERAL OF SPAIN to pay the $12 fee for the request for residence permit.
  • Applicant must complete all the fields with the address of the place of planned residence in Spain.If you   don't have an address fields for CITY and PROVINCE in Spain must be filled in.
  • Check the box 2.1 (initial temporary residence permit).
  • ​Form must be signed by the applicant (For minors, the form must be signed by all their parents/legal guardians).

5.Payment of the visa fee.  

  • For citizens of the United States of America: reciprovity fee is $140 USD
  • For nationals of Australia, Bangladesh, Canada, and the United Kingdom different rates are applied for reasons of reciprocity. In these cases, the amount of the fee must be consulted with the Consular Office.
  • ​For other nationals, the visa fee is $88 USD.
In order to simplify the process, please send just one Money Order for the total amount to the CONSULATE GENERAL OF SPAIN. It is non refundable.

US CITIZENS IE: $140 + $12 = $152 USD per person

OTHER CITIZENSHIPS $88+12 USD = $100USD per person

6.Valid, unexpired passport. The original and a photocopy of the page or pages of the passport that contain biometric data must be submitted. The passport must have a minimum validity period of 1 year and contain two blank pages. Passports issued more than 10 years ago will not be accepted. 

Adult applicants be sure that you have signed your Passport.

Non-US citizents must also provide: Copy of their U.S. Resident Card or valid U.S. long term Visa.

Holders of B-1 and B-2 Visas cannot apply in the United States; they must apply in their country of residence or country of origin.

Applicants holding Student Visas must also present a copy of their I-20 signed by the university on the last page and a copy of their F-1 valid Visa.

Original and a photocopy of the page or pages of the passport that contain biometric data. The passport must have a minimum validity period of 1 year and contain two blank pages. Passports issued more than 10 years ago will not be accepted. 

It is an essential requirement that if you wish to process your visa, you must leave the original passport with us. Otherwise, we will not initiate the process. While your application is being processed, you will not be able to travel with your passport. 

Important note: To apply for the visa you must be in the USA and wait in the USA for approval of your visa.​

7.Proof of residence within this Consulate jurisdiction of the Spanish Consulate of San Francisco (original and photocopy). You can provide one of the following documents: U.S. Driver license, State I.D. card.

8. Proof of financial means. The applicant must submit the originals and a copy of the documents proving that they have sufficient financial means to cover the expenses of residing in Spain for the initial year of the residence permit, or accrediting that they have a regular source of income, for themselves and, where applicable, for the family members accompanying them. The minimum required amount is equivalent to 400% of Spain's Public Multiple Effects Income Indicator (IPREM). To this amount must be added 100% of the IPREM for each family member in the applicant's care.

Documentation in original form with an official stamp and seal of the issuing agency that verifies sufficient economic means for the period of residency in Spain or certifies the availability of a non-working monthly income (eg. pension) that satisfies the minimum financial requirements. 

If you are of working age, you will need to prove receipt of a pension or provide a termination letter from your employer stating that you will no longer work for that company or, in case of self-employment, you will need to provide an affidavit before a Notary stating that you agree not to work while residing in Spain. In the case of retirees, the applicant must be a beneficiary of a State pension in convertible currency or be a beneficiary of a life annuity, not capitalizable, payable by a public or private institution in convertible currency and / or investment accounts. Attach bank statements from the last three months and a copy of the last tax return.

For retired:

  • Social Security Benefits or/and Private of Public retirement benefit (Army Veteran, Teacher`s union, etc.).
  • Bank statements of the last 3 months from all bank accounts and any other source of income totaling the minimum required. 

For non-retired people, add:

  • Last 3 years of TAX IRS returns
  • Notarized in Spanish letter committing not to work while in Spain, not even online
  • If the applicant works in a local company, a letter must be presented where they ensure that as soon as the visa is approved the contract will end and the applicant will not work even online. 

Foreign documents must be translated via an official translation into Spanish. 

9. Health insurance.Certificate in Spanish issued by an Insurance Company operating in Spain specifying:

  • Name of applicant.
  • Start date of the coverage.
  • The insurance must cover all risks normally covered for nationals and must be maintained for the entire duration of the authorization.
  • The health insurance must not have a deficiency-exclussion due to pre-existing conditions, copayment, or coverage limit; it must cover 100% of the medical, hospital, and out-of-hospital expenses.
  • Insurances companies registered in Spain: Aseguradoras y Reaseguradoras (
  • An Insurance card will not be accepted as proof of coverage.
  • Travel insurance is not accepted. 

10. Criminal record check certificate. Applicants over 18 must present original and copy of the criminal record certificate(s) issued by their country or countries of residence for the past 5 years.The Criminal record check certificate cannot be issued more than 6 months preceding the submission of the visa application.
  • Residents in the US:

- Certificate must be based on fingerprins and issued by FBI and legalized with the Federal Apostille of the Hague Convention requested to the Department of State in Washington DC and translated via an official Translators - Sworn Interpreters (


Translations: Translators - Sworn Interpreters (

Applicant(s) that has lived outside the United States during the past 5 years must provide an additional criminal background check from every country where he/she has lived, authenticated with the Apostille of The Hague and translated into Spanish, with a notarized copy of both documents.
If the country in which the applicant has lived in the past 5 years does not subscribe to The Hague Convention of 1961, the background check must by authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the issuing country and then by the Consulate of Spain in said country.

Note: Criminal record check certificates issued by US Local/State authorities will not be accepted. Applicant will be informed in the cases when they can be required in addition to the FBI records.
Apostilles are required: Contact Official Apostille authorities to get an estimate on processing times before submitting your visa application.


11.Medical Certificate.pdf ​Applic​ants must submit the original and a copy of a recently issued medical certificate, cannot be older than 3 months, accrediting that they do not suffer from any disease that could cause serious repercussions for public health pursuant to the 2005 International Health Regulations.It must have the Doctor's Stamp, or can be printed on medical center´s letterhead​, must be signed by an MD – Medical Doctor: name,last name and license number of the MD must clearly appear in the document,  also contact information.​It is recommended to use our template.​If the certificate is only in English it will be required to provide a translation in Spanish via official translator.

12. Self-addressed and Pre-Paid US “Express-Mail" envelope from the Post Office to have your passport returned by mail. We do NOT accept any other type of courier or messenger service (No FEDEX – No UPS). Tracking of mailed items is the sole responsibility of the applicant. (MANDATORY)​.

Required documents for family members.​ For each family member it will be necessary to submit:​

  • All the required documents specified in sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10 if applicable and 11.
  • For minors: all 3 forms (National visa application forms and residence permit application froms: EX01 Form and Form 790 052) must be signed by all their parents/legal guardians. 
  • Documents constituting proof of family relationship with the applicant accrediting financial means: birth or marriage certificates must be recently issued (cannot be issued more than 6 months ago) by the civil registry, certificate of registration as an unmarried couple or any other document substantiating an unmarried partnership with the applicant. Foreign documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish.
  • For adult children, documents proving financial dependence, the adult child's civil status and that they continue to form part of the family unit. Foreign documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish.
  • In the case of relatives in the ascending line, documents proving financial dependence and that they form part of the family unit. Foreign documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish

​When necessary to assess the application, the Consular Office may request additional documents or data and may also ask the applicant to come in for a personal interview.


This Consular Office is competent to accept visa applications from individuals residing in the consular district.

All non-working residence visas require the obtainment of an initial residence permit, which is processed at the same time as the visa application. 

  • Who can apply for a visa: Visa applications must be submitted in person by the applicant, or by one of their parents if the applicant is a minor. 
  • Place of submission: Applications must be submitted in person at the Consular Office. An appointment is necessary to be requested by email. Applicants must legally reside within the jurisdiction of the Consulate General.  B1/B2 visa holders must apply for the visa in their country of legal residence. The Honorary Consulates of Spain are not authorized to process visa applications.
  • Proof of receipt: The Consular Office will provide the applicant with proof of receipt of the application with a code that enables them to check the status of the dossier through the following link: https://sutramite​consular.maec.e​s/Home.aspxIt opens in new window. The Consular Office will also provide a copy of the application form (form EX-01) and, where applicable, of the receipt of payment of the fee (form 790-52). 
  • Rectifying the application: The Consular Office may ask the applicant to submit any missing documents, or to provide additional documents or data that are necessary for a decision regarding the application. The applicant may also be called in for a personal interview. 
  • Decision period: The legal period for reaching a decision is of 3 months from the day after the application submission date, but this period may be extended if an interview or additional documents are requested. 
  • Collecting the visa: The visa must be collected in person by the applicant or by their legal representative (if the applicant is a minor) within a maximum period of 1 month, counted as of the day after the date on which the favourable decision is notified. The Consular Office will inform the applicant regarding the procedure for the return of the passport and any other original documentation.   
  • Refusal of the residence permit or visa: Refusals of the residence permit or visa will always be notified in writing, setting forth the grounds on which the decision adopted was based. 
  • Appeals: If a residence permit or visa is refused, the applicant may submit an appeal for reconsideration to this Consular Office within 1 month of the day following the date on which notification of the refusal is received. An application for judicial review may also be filed with the High Court of Justice of Madrid within the 2-month period beginning the day after the date on which the applicant receives notification of the refusal of the visa or residence permit or of the dismissal of the reconsideration appeal. 
  • Validity period of the visa: The visa will be valid for 90 days. Once in Spain, a Foreigner Identity Card must be applied for within a period of 1 month from the applicant's entry into Spain, at the Foreign Nationals' Office or the corresponding Police Station.