Este sitio web utiliza cookies propias y de terceros para su funcionamiento, mantener la sesión y personalizar la experiencia del usuario. Más información en nuestra política de Cookies

Study visa

Visa Application must be submitted sufficiently in advance of the beginning of the pertinent study programmes, as the procedure entails consultations with other authorities.​ 

You are responsible for presenting all the documents required with your Visa Application.

This Consulate General recommends not purchasing plane tickets until your visa has been granted. 

Visa for stays exceeding 90 days for studies, training, internships or voluntary work. This visa may also be issued for stays for au pairs and for conversation class assistants.  

Study stays of less than 90 days do not require a study visa. Depending on the applicant's nationality, a short-stay visa may be required (see “Schengen visas"). 

The following family members may obtain a visa to accompany the student: 

  • The spouse or unmarried partner.
  • Children who are minors or who have a disability. 

Visas for students' family members do not constitute work permits. 

Activities for which a study visa may be o​​btained​​​ 

  • Full-time studies at an authorized school that will lead to the obtainment of a degree or certificate of studies.
  • Doctorate studies.
  • Training activities.
  • Student mobility programmes at compulsory and/or non-compulsory secondary education level at an officially recognized teaching or scientific centre.
  • Training placements at public or private bodies or entities that cannot be covered by internship visas (see “Internship visa").
  • Volunteer services in the framework of programmes pursuing public interest goals.
  • Au pair programmes.
  • Conversation class assistants.

Required documents for the s​tudent​​ ​​

1. National visa application formIt opens in new window. Each applicant must complete and sign a visa application, filling in each of its sections. If the applicant is a minor, one of their parents or a duly accredited representative must sign the application. 

2. Photograph. A recent, passport-size, colour photograph, taken against a light background, facing forward, without dark or reflective glasses, or any garments concealing the oval of the face. 

3. Valid, unexpired passport. Original and a photocopy of the page or pages of the passport that contain biometric data. The passport must be valid at least for the duration of the planned stay and contain two consecutive ​blank pages. Passports issued more than 10 years ago will not be accepted.   

4. Proof of acceptance for the study, training or volunteer activity or internship. Original and a copy of the document proving:

  • Acceptance at an authorized teaching centre to carry out a full-time study programme.
  • Acceptance at a research or training centre.
  • Acceptance into a student mobility programme (in this case, the applicant must also provide proof of acceptance at a study centre, of having found accommodation with a family or at an institution, and the commitment of the organizer of the programme to bear the costs).
  • Acceptance for a non-remunerated internship on the basis of a signed agreement.
  • An agreement with the organization responsible for the volunteer programme. 

5. Proof of financial means. Original and a copy of the documents proving that the applicant (or their legal representative or the family member supporting them) has sufficient financial means to cover the expenses of the student's stay and return, as well as the stay and return of the family members accompanying them. The minimum required amount is equivalent to 100% of Spain's Public Multiple Effects Income Indicator (IPREM). To this amount must be added 75% of the IPREM for the first family member and 50% of the IPREM for each additional family member. If proof is provided that accommodation for the entire stay has been paid for in advance, this amount will be deducted. 

6. Health insurance. Original and a copy of the certificate accrediting the public or private health insurance contracted with an insurance entity authorized to operate in Spain. The insurance policy must cover all the risks insured by Spain's public health system. 

If the applicant is participating in a volunteer programme, in addition to the medical insurance, they must provide a copy of the civil liability insurance policy taken out by the organization. 

7. Criminal record check certificate. This requirement is not mandatory if the duration of the requested stay is less than six months. However, if the length of stay requested is longer than six months, a criminal record certificate, together with an official translation into Spanish, is required. It must be issued by the authorities of the country or countries in which you have resided for the last 5 years. In the case of Canada, only the criminal record certificate issued by the RCMP containing the visa applicant's fingerprints will be accepted. You will find more information about how to obtain it here.

Criminal records certificates from local police stations will not be accepted. The Canadian Criminal Record Certificate must be with the Hague Apostille Certification issued by Global Affairs Canada, and translated into Spanish.​ If the criminal record certificate has been issued outside of Canada, it must be legalized by the Spanish Consular Office with jurisdiction in that country, unless the country that issued it has signed the Hague Convention, in which case it must be apostilled. You can check the list of the countries signing the Hague Convention here.

The visa will not be issued without the Criminal record certificate duly apostilled by Global Affairs Canada, so it is recommended you apply  well in advance for it with the Canadian authorities.

8. Medical certificate. This requirement is not mandatory if the duration of the requested stay is less than six months. However, if the length of stay requested is longer than six months, a medical certificate is required. It must be issued by your family doctor and formulated as follows: "This medical certificate certifies that Mr. / Mrs. [...] does not suffer from any of the diseases that may have serious public health repercussions in accordance with the provided in the International Sanitary Regulations of 2005.”

9. Proof of residence in the consular demarcation. Provincial health card, driver's license, etc., original and copy. If you do not hold a Canadian passport, you must submit a document proving your status in canada (permanent resident card, work permit, or study permit with certification of studies).

The Consulate General of Spain in Montreal only accepts applications from residents of Quebec (except​ Gatineau), Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island. If you reside in any other place, you must apply for your visa at the Consulate General of Spain in Toronto (provinces of Ontario (except Ottawa), Manitoba, Nunavut, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Northwest Territories, Yukon, and British Columbia) or at the Embassy of Spain in Canada (Ottawa and Gatineau), according to the demarcations of the aforementioned institutions. 

10. Proof of the representative's identity and capacity. If the applicant is a minor, a copy of the identity document or passport of the parent and the document that proves the relationship must be presented. The originals will be shown at the time of submitting the application.
If the visa is requested by a representative, a copy of the identity document or passport of the representative and the power of attorney previously legalized or apostilled or document proving the representation, must be submitted. Original documents will be shown when submitting the application. 

11. Authorization of legal representatives. If the applicant is a minor, it will be necessary to provide the original and a copy of the parents' or guardians' authorization of the minor's temporary relocation to Spain, certified by a notary, which must also name the individual who will be responsible for the minor in Spain. 

12. Payment of the visa fee. The consular fee is of 117.20 Canadian dollars (year 2024) to be paid the day of your appointment, preferrably in cash or by money order or certified cheque to "The Consulate General of Spain in Montreal". You can check the fees for nationalities other than Canadian in Tasas Montreal​. ​

Required documents for family memb​ers​ 

For each family member accompanying the student, the following must be submitted: 

  • The documents listed above as 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 12. Where applicable, 10 must also be provided.

Moreover, the certificates proving kinship with the student (marriage certificate, unmarried couple certificate, or birth certificate, as applicable) must be provided. Foreign documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish. 

When necessary to assess the application, the Consular Office may request additional documents or data and may also ask the applicant to come in for a personal interview. 


This Consular Office is competent to accept visa applications from individuals residing in the consular district or who are regularly in the consular district for study purposes even if they are not a resident. 

Applying for a study visa also entails applying for a study stay permit. 

  • Who can apply for a visa: Visa applications must be submitted in person by the applicant or by one of their parents if the applicant is a minor. They may also be submitted through a duly accredited representative. 
  • Visa application period: Visa applications must be submitted sufficiently in advance of the beginning of the pertinent study programmes, as the procedure entails consultations with other authorities.  
  • Place of submission: The Application must be submitted in person with a previous appointment to be scheduled by writing an email to cog.m​​​​​ ​​. In your email you must identify yourself with your full name, indicate the date of travel, and attach a scanned copy of your passport, of a document proving your residence in this consular demarcation and of your admission at the centre of studies.
  • Proof of receipt: The Consular Office will provide the applicant with proof of receipt of the application with a code that enables them to check the status of the dossier through the following link: opens in new window 
  • Rectifying the application: The Consular Office may ask the applicant to submit any missing documents, or to provide additional documents or data that are necessary for a decision regarding the application.   The applicant may also be called in for a personal interview. 
  • Decision period: The legal term to make a decision is 1 month from the day after the application is submitted, but this term may be extended when additional documents are requested or an interview is held. 

  • Collecting the visa: The visa must be collected in person by the applicant or by their representative (if the applicant is a minor) within a maximum period of 2 months, counted as of the day after the date on which the favourable decision is notified. The Consular Office will inform the applicant regarding the procedure for the return of the passport and any other original documentation.  
  • Refusal of the visa or study stay permit: Refusals of the visa or study stay permit will always be notified in writing, setting forth the grounds on which the decision adopted was based. 
  • Appeals: If a study stay permit or visa is refused, the applicant may submit an appeal for reconsideration to this Consular Office within 1 month of the day following the date on which notification of the refusal is received. An application for judicial review may also be filed with the High Court of Justice of Madrid within the 2-month period beginning the day after the date on which the applicant receives notification of the visa refusal or of the dismissal of the reconsideration appeal. 
  • Validity period of the visa: If the study stay does not exceed 6 months, the visa will be valid for the entire stay and it will not be necessary to obtain a Foreigner Identity Card. 

    ​If the study stay is for longer than 6 months, the visa will be valid for a 90-day stay. The student must apply for a Foreigner Identity Card within a period of 1 month from their entry into Spain, at the Foreign Nationals' Office or the Police Station of the province in which the permit was processed.