Este sitio web utiliza cookies propias y de terceros para su funcionamiento, mantener la sesión y personalizar la experiencia del usuario. Más información en nuestra política de Cookies

Non-working residence visa

Visa to reside in Spain without carrying out any gainful (work or professional) activity, provided that the applicant has sufficient and guaranteed means to live on. This visa does not constitute a work permit. 

The following family members may also obtain the visa: 

  • The spouse or unmarried partner.
  • Dependent children and dependent relatives in the ascending line who form part of the family unit. 


Required documents​​ 

1. National visa application formIt opens in new window. Each applicant must complete and sign a visa application, filling in each of its sections. 

2. Non-working residence application formIt opens in new window. ​Each applicant must complete and sign a copy of the EX-01 form, filling in each of its sections. 

3. Photograph. A recent, passport-size, colour photograph, taken against a light background, facing forward, without dark or reflective glasses, or any garments concealing the oval of the face. 

4. Valid, unexpired passport. The original and a photocopy of the page or pages of the passport that contain biometric data must be submitted. The passport must have a minimum validity period of 1 year and contain two blank pages. Passports issued more than 10 years ago will not be accepted.  

5. Proof of financial means. The applicant must submit the originals and a copy of the documents proving that they have sufficient financial means to cover the expenses of residing in Spain for the initial year of the residence permit, or accrediting that they have a regular source of income, for themselves and, where applicable, for the family members accompanying them. The minimum required amount is equivalent to 400% of Spain's Public Multiple Effects Income Indicator (IPREM). To this amount must be added 100% of the IPREM for each family member in the applicant's care. Foreign documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish. 

6. Criminal record check certificate dated no more than six months before the application date, stating that applicant does not have criminal record where they have resided for the past five years. Not applicable for students under 18 years old.

You must request a background check verified by fingerprint comparison. The crimin​al background check must be issued by the US Department of Justice - Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

The background check must be issued within six months prior to the submission of the visa application. We do not accept local police criminal certificates.

The criminal record must be legalized with the Apostille certification and translated into Spanish by a sworn/certified translator. (The translation does not need an Apostille and the Apostille does not need a translation)




If the applicant has spent six month or more during the last five years in another country/State, he/she must submit the police records from that country/State, legalized with the Apostille Certification and translated into Spanish. If the country is not part of the Hague Convention the document must be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then by the Spanish Consulate in that country.​

7. Proof of public or private health insurance from an insurer recognized and authorized to operate in Spain. The insurance must cover all risks normally covered for nationals and must be maintained for the entire duration of the authorization.​

It must cover at least all the preventive, diagnostic, treatment and rehabilitation assistance activities that are carried out in health centers or socio-health centers, as well as urgent health transport.

It must be health insurance (not travel). Therefore, it is not necessary to cover repatriations and/or evacuations.

The health insurance must not have a deficiency, copayment, or coverage limit, that is, it must cover 100% of the medical, hospital, and out-of-hospital expenses.

8. Medical certificate: A recent doctor’s statement, dated no more than three months before the application date, with the doctor or medical center’s letterhead, duly signed, stamped and translated into Spanish by a sworn/certified translator stating (​Please see Appendix I):

"This medical certificate certifies that Mr. / Ms. (...) Does not suffer from any diseases that may have serious implications for public health in accordance with the provisions of the International Health Regulations 2005".

9. Driver's license that proves your legal residence in our jurisdiction. 

10.  Immigration status in US (not applicable for US citizens): Green Card, valid US student visa, work permit (stamp on the passport) or parole.

11. Payment of fees. To pay the fee for the residence permit at the Consular Office, the applicant must complete all the fields of, and sign, two copies of form 790 code 052, ticking box 2.1 (initial temporary residence permit). 

Fees can also be paid online, through the link to form 790-052. In this case, the proof of payment obtained from the same webpage must be attached. 

The visa fee is of an amount equivalent to $88. For citizens of the United States of America, the fee is $140​. For nationals of Australia, Bangladesh, Canada, and the United Kingdom different rates are applied for reasons of reciprocity. 

​Additionally, BLS Visa Application Center processing fees must be paid.

Consular fees are updated by law. Please verify the current rate at the time of processing.

Applications submitted to the Spanish Visa Application Center will have a service fee of USD 18 (tax included) payable by debit or cash.

The fee is non-refundable.

12.Test the identity and capacity of the representative. if the visa is requested through a representative, a copy of the representative's identity document or passport and the power of attorney or document proving representation will be presented. The originals will be shown at the time of submitting the application. The presentation can be made by the interested party or through a duly accredited representative (for which​​ the attached notarized form can be used​).

​Required documents for family members.​ For each family member it will be necessary to submit:​

  • All the required documents specified in sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11. For minors, the visa application and the residence permit application must be signed by one of their parents. 
  • Documents constituting proof of family relationship with the applicant accrediting financial means: birth or marriage certificates issued by the civil registry, certificate of registration as an unmarried couple or any other document substantiating an unmarried partnership with the applicant. Foreign documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish.
  • In the case of adult children, documents proving financial dependence, the adult child's civil status and that they continue to form part of the family unit. Foreign documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish.
  • In the case of relatives in the ascending line, documents proving financial dependence and that they form part of the family unit. Foreign documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish. 

When necessary to assess the application, the Consular Office may request additional documents or data and may also ask the applicant to come in for a personal interview.


This Consular Office is competent to accept visa applications from individuals residing in the consular district.

All non-working residence visas require the obtainment of an initial residence permit, which is processed at the same time as the visa application. ​​

Who can apply for a visa: Visa applications must be submitted in person by the applicant, or by one of their parents if the applicant is a minor​​. 

The presentation may be made by the interested party or through a duly accredited representative (for which​​ the attached notarized form can be used​).

​The submission ​period will be three months in advance of the planned date of your trip to Spain​

 Place of submission​​

Honorary Consulates of Spain cannot process visa applications.​​
  • Proof of receipt: The Consular Office will provide the applicant with proof of receipt of the application with a code that enables them to check the status of the dossier through the following link: https://sutramite​consular.maec.e​s/Home.aspxIt opens in new window. The Consular Office will also provide a copy of the application form (form EX-01) and, where applicable, of the receipt of payment of the fee (form 790-52). 
  • Rectifying the application: The Consular Office may ask the applicant to submit any missing documents, or to provide additional documents or data that are necessary for a decision regarding the application. The applicant may also be called in for a personal interview. 
  • Decision period: The legal period for reaching a decision is of 3 months from the day after the application submission date, but this period may be extended if an interview or additional documents are requested. 
  • Collecting the visa: The visa must be collected in person by the applicant or by their legal representative (if the applicant is a minor), with the need for an appointment, within a maximum period of 1 month, counted as of the day after the date on which the favourable decision is notified. The Consular Office will inform the applicant regarding the procedure for the return of the passport and any other original documentation. ​​Once your visa has been processed, you will receive a text message indicating that your passport is ready to be picked up. You must go to the BLS offices (not the Consulate). The hours enabled for collection are from Monday to Friday between 3:00 and 4:30 PM.​​.   
  • Refusal of the residence permit or visa: Refusals of the residence permit or visa will always be notified in writing, setting forth the grounds on which the decision adopted was based. 
  • Appeals: If a residence permit or visa is refused, the applicant may submit an appeal for reconsideration to this Consular Office within 1 month of the day following the date on which notification of the refusal is received. An application for judicial review may also be filed with the High Court of Justice of Madrid within the 2-month period beginning the day after the date on which the applicant receives notification of the refusal of the visa or residence permit or of the dismissal of the reconsideration appeal. 
  • Validity period of the visa: The visa will be valid for 90 days. Once in Spain, a Foreigner Identity Card must be applied for within a period of 1 month from the applicant's entry into Spain, at the Foreign Nationals' Office or the corresponding Police Station.