Este sitio web utiliza cookies propias y de terceros para su funcionamiento, mantener la sesión y personalizar la experiencia del usuario. Más información en nuestra política de Cookies

NALCAP. American Language​ and Culture Assistant Program

​​Study stays of less than 90 days do not require a study visa. Depending on the applicant's nationality, a short-stay visa may be required (see “Schengen visas").

Visa for stays exceeding 90 days to participate in the North American Language and Culture Assistant program  (NALCAP) 2023-2024 sponsored by the Ministry of Education of Spain.


The visa must be requested sufficiently in advance of the start of the program, since the procedure involves consultations with other authorities.


The following family members may obtain a visa to accompany the student:

"Relative" means for this purpose, the spouse, common-law partner and children under eighteen or children with disabilities and not objectively able to provide for their own needs due to their health status. Relatives will not be allowed to work during their stay in Spain. ​

​Visas for students' family members do not constitute work permits.​ 

Visas for those language assistants who are residents of the States of Florida, Georgia and South Carolina will be processed at the Consulate of Spain in Miami. 

Required documents for the North American Language and Culture Assistant Program 2023-2024​​

1. National visa application form​It opens in new window (original). You will find specific instructions for the different items of this form in Appendix II of this document.

Do not forget to indicate your email in section #17. 

​2. Photograph. A recent color photograph (U.S. passport size), with a light, uniform background, preferably white. Photos with a dark background or with objects or people that can be seen from behind the head and that are not photographic paper will not be accepted. Please do not staple or use anything other than glue to attach the photo to the form.
3. Passport or travel document recognized as valid with duration of at least the requested time of stay and must contain at least two free pages in the visa section (copy of the page where your data and photos appear). ​Passports issued more than 10 years ago will not be accepted.

4. Copy of the Acceptance Letter by the Regional Education Authorities (“Nombramiento"). This letter must provide information on the school the applicant has been appointed to (address, phone number, contact email). It must also contain information about the grant, the duration of the program and the insurance policy. The Consulate of Spain will ONLY accept original signatures or electronically signed letters. No FAX or copies will be accepted for any reason.

5. For the visa validity. Fill out numbers 21 (date of entry) and 28 (complete information related to university in Spain) on application form. It is highly recommended not to purchase the travel tickets until the visa has been approved. 

6. Background check (status over 180 days). Certificate of criminal record dated no more than five months before the application date, stating that applicant does not have criminal record where they have resided for the past five years. Not applicable for students under 18 years old. 

You must request a background check verified by fingerprint comparison. The criminal background check must be issued by the US Department of Justice - Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

The background check must be issued within five months prior to the submission of the visa application. We do not accept local police criminal certificates.

The criminal record must be legalized with the Apostille certification and translated into Spanish by a sworn/certified translator. (The translation does not need an Apostille and the Apostille does not need a translation).

The certificate from the US must be issued from FBIIt opens in new window and Legalized with the Apostille of the Hague Convention by the Department of State in Washington DCIt opens in new window.

Local Police and State background checks will not be accepted.

If the applicant has spent six months or more during the last five years in another country, he/she must submit the police records from that country, legalized with the Apostille Certification and translated into Spanish. If the country is not part of the Hague Convention the document must be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then by the Spanish Consulate in that country.

7. Medical certificate: A recent doctor’s statement, dated no more than three months before the application date, with the doctor or medical center’s letterhead, duly signed, stamped and translated into Spanish by a sworn/certified translator stating (Please see Appendix I):

"This medical certificate certifies that Mr. / Ms. (...) does not suffer from any diseases that may have serious implications for public health in accordance with the provisions of the International Health Regulations 2005".

8. Proof of residence in the consular district. Provide a copy (not the original) of US Driver's license or US State ID or Voter´s Registration card.

9. Payment of the visa fee. At the Consular Office. Only money orders are accepted (not refundable). No personal checks, no credit cards, no cash. Please visit our website to check the most recent visa  (American citizen fee is $160, for the rest please check our website).

10. One Express Mail envelope self-addressed and with prepaid stamps from the US Postal Service per applicant.

11. Disclaimer form must be presented with application. Please download it  from our web page.

12. Evidence of Immigration Status in the US, for non US passport holders only. Please provide a copy of Permanent Resident Card or US Immigrant visa.       

13. Type and print on a piece of paper the following applicant´s information. Name, last name, email and cell phone number to contact the applicant during business hours if necessary.

Translations into Spanish: AMERICAN TRANSLATORS ASSOCIATION  ​​​​​https//www.atanet.orgIt opens in new window

The Consulate does not track mail or answer emails asking for visa status.

​​When necessary to assess the application, the Consular Office may request additional documents or data and may also ask the applicant to come in for a personal interview. ​

Required documents for family members​​

For each family member accompanying the student, the following must be submitted:

The documents listed above as 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 and

Proof economic means to cover the expenses of stay and return to his/her country. For the support of family members during their stay in Spain: the last three personal bank account statements showing at least a minimum amount of $525 for the first family member per month of stay and $350 per month for each of the remaining family members who will integrate the family unit in Spain.​

- Original Birth Certificate of children legalized with the Apostille certification and translated in Spanish. Attach a copy of identifications of both parents. If the parents are divorced, submit the final divorce and custody sentence of the child legalized with the Apostille certification. If the country is not part of The Hague Convention the document must be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then by the Spanish Consulate in that country. (Notarized copy).

- Original Marriage Certificate legalized with the Apostille certification and translated into Spanish. If the country is not part of the Hague Convention the document must be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then by the Spanish Consulate in that country. (Notarized copy).

- Original Domestic Partnership Certificate legalized with the Apostille certification and translated into Spanish. If the country is not part of the Hague Convention the document must be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then by the Spanish Consulate in that country. (Notarized copy).

- Proof of public or private health insurance (travel insurance will not be accepted) from an insurer recognized and authorized to operate in Spain. The insurance must cover all risks normally covered for nationals and must be maintained for the entire duration of the authorization. No deductible or copayments. 

It must cover at least all the preventive, diagnostic, treatment and rehabilitation assistance activities that are carried out in health centers or socio-health centers, as well as urgent health transport. (Copy).​

When necessary to assess the application, the Consular Office may request additional documents or data and may also ask the applicant to come in for a personal interview.​


This Consular Office is competent to accept visa applications from individuals residing in the consular district.

Applying for a NALCAP visa also entails applying for a study stay permit if studies are longer than 180 days.

Visa application period. Visa applications must be submitted sufficiently in advance of the beginning of the pertinent study programs, as the procedure entails consultations with other authorities.  Incomplete applications will be returned, only complete applications will be admitted.

This Consulate will accept visa applications ONLY BY POSTAL MAIL (No specific carrier is requested but it is necessary that the envelope has a tracking number):

Consulado General de España en Miami
Visa Department
2655 Le Jeune Road, Suite 203
Coral Gables, FL 33134

Rectifying the application: The Consular Office may ask the applicant to submit any missing documents, or to provide additional documents or data that are necessary for a decision regarding the application. The applicant may also be called in for a personal interview.

Decision period: Once the application is accepted as complete, the legal period for reaching a decision is of 1 month from the day after the application has been registered on the visa system (not from the date of the application is received in this Consulate General), but this period may be extended if an interview or additional documents are requested.

Collecting the visa:  You must check the status of your visa using the receipt sent by this Consulate in the envelope provided by you. Use the following link , when your visa status shows "RESUELTO", means that is your visa is ready to pick up.

You can pick your passport up in person at this consulate from Monday thru Friday from 11:30 a. m. to 12:30 p. m. 

​Refusal of the visa or study stay permit. Refusals of the visa or study stay permit will always be notified by mail, setting forth the grounds on which the decision adopted was based.

Appeals. If a study stay permit or visa is refused, the applicant may submit an appeal in Spanish language (by mail with tracking number) for reconsideration to this Consular Office within 1 month of the day following the date on which notification of the refusal is received. An application for judicial review may also be filed with the High Court of Justice of Madrid within the 2-month period beginning the day after the date on which the applicant receives notification of the visa refusal or of the dismissal of the reconsideration appeal.

Once the visa has been collected, the applicant must enter the Spanish territory during the period of validity of the visa. Upon entry and within the first thirty days, applicant must apply for a Foreigner Identity Card or TIE (“Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero”) at the "Comisaría de Extranjería y Documentación" in the city where the person will be a language assistant. The TIE will be valid for as long as the language assistant is part of the program in Spain. In the case of minors, this procedure may be carried out by a representative. Besides, the visa must be stamped upon entering the Schengen States. 

You can also make an appointment online:

When the applicant collects his/her visa, he/she must enter Spain within the validity period of the visa (no more than three months if the duration of the activity exceeds six months).

The initial authorization for temporary residence (TIE) will last for one year and its validity will begin on the date of entry into Spain.

If the duration of the activity does not exceed six months, the visa will be sufficient to document the stay.​