Este sitio web utiliza cookies propias y de terceros para su funcionamiento, mantener la sesión y personalizar la experiencia del usuario. Más información en nuestra política de Cookies

Study visa


An appointment per person is required. Each visa applicant is not allowed to have more than ONE appointment. If you have more than one, all your appointments will be cancelled.

Visa appointments may be full in busy seasons, please try to schedule your appointment as soon as possible.​

Check visa result: Check visa resul​t - web.pdf


Visa for stays exceeding 90 days for studies, training, internships or voluntary work. This visa may also be issued for stays for au pairs and for conversation class assistants.  

Study stays of less than 90 days do not require a study visa. Depending on the applicant's nationality, a short-stay visa may be required (see “Schengen visas"). 

The following family members may obtain a visa to accompany the student: 

  • The spouse or unmarried partner.
  • Children who are minors or who have a disability. 

Visas for students' family members do not constitute work permits. 

*** This type of visa application is not applicable for a citizen of a State of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland, or a fa​mily member of citizens of these countries.

Activities for which a study visa may be obtained​​​ 

  • Full-time studies at an authorized school that will lead to the obtainment of a degree or certificate of studies.
  • Doctorate studies.
  • Training activities.
  • Student mobility programmes at compulsory and/or non-compulsory secondary education level at an officially recognized teaching or scientific centre.
  • Training placements at public or private bodies or entities that cannot be covered by internship visas (see “Internship visa").
  • Volunteer services in the framework of programmes pursuing public interest goals.
  • Au pair programmes.
  • Conversation class assistants.

Required documents for the student​​ ​​

1. National visa app​lication formIt opens in new window. Each applicant must complete and sign a visa application, filling in each of its sections. If the applicant is a minor, one of their parents or a duly accredited representative must sign the application. 

2. Photograph. A recent, passport-size, colour photograph, taken against a light background, facing forward, without dark or reflective glasses, or any garments concealing the oval of the face. 

3. Valid, unexpired passport. Original and a photocopy of the page or pages of the passport that contain biometric data. The passport must be valid at least for the duration of the planned stay and contain two blank pages. Passports issued more than 10 years ago will not be accepted.   

4. Proof of acceptance for the study, training or volunteer activity or internship. Original and a copy of the document proving:

  • Acceptance at an authorized teaching centre to carry out a full-time study programme.
  • Acceptance at a research or training centre.
  • Acceptance into a student mobility programme (in this case, the applicant must also provide proof of acceptance at a study centre, of having found accommodation with a family or at an institution, and the commitment of the organizer of the programme to bear the costs).
  • Acceptance for a non-remunerated internship on the basis of a signed agreement.
  • An agreement with the organization responsible for the volunteer programme. 

5. Proof of financial means. Original and a copy of the documents (e.g.: 3-months Bank statements issued from a local bank in Hong Kong or Macau) proving that the applicant (or their legal representative or the family member supporting them) has sufficient financial means to cover the expenses of the student's stay and return, as well as the stay and return of the family members accompanying them. The minimum required amount is equivalent to 100% of Spain's Public Multiple Effects Income Indicator (IPREM​). To this amount must be added 75% of the IPREM for the first family member and 50% of the IPREM for each additional family member.  

6. Health insurance. Original and a copy of the certificate accrediting the public or private health insurance contracted with an insurance entity authorized to operate in Spain (Spanish companies offer unlimited coverage)​ . The insurance policy must cover all the risks insured by Spain's public health system, it should not have coverage limits or grace periods for certain benefits, no co-payments or deductible. 

Medical insurance may be accepted from foreign companies that covering at least €30,000 and meet the other required characteristics. 

Travel insurance is not accepted.

This documents must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish. 

If the applicant is participating in a volunteer programme, in addition to the medical insurance, they must provide a copy of the civil liability insurance policy taken out by the organization. 

7. Round trip flight reservation- This is only for SHORT TERM STUDENT VISA applicaiton (less than 180 days).  It is highly recommended not to confirm the reservation or buy the ticket until you get your visa. ​(Date of arriving Spain cannot be more than 15 days before the course start.)

8. Criminal record check certificate. Applicants of legal age who apply for a visa for a stay of more than 180 days must submit the original and a copy of the criminal record check certificate(s) issued by their country or countries of residence for the past 5 years. Foreign documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with an official translation​ into Spanish. 

Please note that the Certificate of No Criminal Conviction must be issued within 6 months.

For CNCC application in Hong Kong, the ​HK Police requires a referral letter from the Consulate or related foreign Authorities. You may send us the followings by email for requesting a referral letter:

  • ​CNCC letter application form (download)

  • Passport copy

  • HKID card copy​​​

  • School admission letter from Spain

​Note: Please apply for the CNCC in advance as the processing time for HK CNCC usually takes 4 weeks. 

9. Medical certificate. Applicants requiring a visa for a stay of more than 180 days must submit the original and a copy of a medical certificate accrediting that they do not suffer from any disease that could cause serious repercussions for public health pursuant to the 2005 International Health Regulations. This documents must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish. ​ 

Alternatively, you may use this template.

10. Hong Kong or Macau Residence Permit -- Original and photocopy of Hong Kong or Macau ID Card. If you are not a permanent HK resident, a valid HK residence visa will also be needed.

11. Authorization from parents. If the applicant is a minor, it will be necessary to provide the original and a copy of the parents' or guardians' authorization of the minor's temporary relocation to Spain, certified by a notary. In the parent's authorization, parents must expressly state the period of time that the minor is authorized and: the name, last name, DNI or NIE numbers and address of the responsible people of the child in Spain. Foreign documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish. 

At least one parent  have to be present with the minor; the absent parent must give notarized authorization to the present parent to apply in his/her behalf. If both parents are not in Hong Kong or Macau, the tutor, duly represented by a notary authorization from parents must be present.

​12. Responsibilities of tutor in Spain. Express authorization of the person who represents/coexists with the child during the child's stay in Spain, to carry out the necessary consultation in the Registry of Crimes of a Sexual Nature. They should provide notarized copies of the DNI´s or TIE cards of all members of the household. ​

13. Notarized copy of parent passports.  

14.- Original and copy of minor's Birth Certificate. The certificate must be legalized or apostilled , where applicable. 

This documents must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish. ​

15. Payment of the visa fee (in cash or through FPS). The visa fee is of an amount equivalent to 80 euros. For nationals of Australia, Bangladesh, Canada, the United States of America and the United Kingdom different rates are applied for reasons of reciprocity. In these cases, the amount of the fee must be consulted with the Consular Office.


Required documents for family members​ 

For each family member accompanying the student, the following must be submitted: 

  • The documents listed above as 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 15. Where applicable, 11 must also be provided.

Moreover, the certificates proving kinship with the student (marriage certificate, unmarried couple certificate, or birth certificate, as applicable) must be provided. Foreign public documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish. 

When necessary to assess the application, the Consular Office may request additional documents or data and may also ask the applicant to come in for a personal interview. 



This Consular Office is competent to accept visa applications from individuals residing in Hong Kong or Macau with a valid residence permit.


An appointment per person is required. Each visa applicant is not allowed to have more than ONE appointment. If you have more than one, all your appointments will be cancelled.

Visa appointments may be full in busy seasons, please try to schedule your appointment as soon as possible.​​

Applying for a study visa also entails applying for a study stay permit. 

  • Who can apply for a visa: Visa applications must be submitted in person by the applicant.
  • Visa application period: Visa applications must be submitted sufficiently in advance of the beginning of the pertinent study programmes, as the procedure entails consultations with other authorities.  
  • Place of submission: Applications must be submitted in person at the Consular Office. An appointment is necessary.   
The address of this Consulate General is: 
Suite 5303, Central Plaza, 18 Harbour Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong​

  • Proof of receipt: The Consular Office will provide the applicant with proof of receipt of the application with a code that enables them to check the status of the dossier through the following link: opens in new window 
  • Rectifying the application: The Consular Office may ask the applicant to submit any missing documents, or to provide additional documents or data that are necessary for a decision regarding the application.   The applicant may also be called in for a personal interview. 
  • Decision period: The legal period for reaching a decision is of 1 month from the day after the application submission date, but this period may be extended if an interview or additional documents are requested. 
  • Collecting the visa: The visa must be collected in person by the applicant or by their representative (if the applicant is a minor) within a maximum period of 2 months, counted as of the day after the date on which the favourable decision is notified. The Consular Office will inform the applicant regarding the procedure for the return of the passport and any other original documentation.  
  • Refusal of the visa or study stay permit: Refusals of the visa or study stay permit will always be notified in writing, setting forth the grounds on which the decision adopted was based. 
  • Appeals: If a study stay permit or visa is refused, the applicant may submit an appeal for reconsideration to this Consular Office within 1 month of the day following the date on which notification of the refusal is received. An application for judicial review may also be filed with the High Court of Justice of Madrid within the 2-month period beginning the day after the date on which the applicant receives notification of the visa refusal or of the dismissal of the reconsideration appeal. 
  • Validity period of the visa: If the study stay does not exceed 6 months, the visa will be valid for the entire stay and it will not be necessary to obtain a Foreigner Identity Card. 

    ​If the study stay is for longer than 6 months, the visa will be valid for a 90-day stay. The student must apply for a Foreigner Identity Card within a period of 1 month from their entry into Spain, at the Foreign Nationals' Office or the Police Station of the province in which the permit was processed.