Este sitio web utiliza cookies propias y de terceros para su funcionamiento, mantener la sesión y personalizar la experiencia del usuario. Más información en nuestra política de Cookies

Residence Visa with Work Permit Exemption


An appointment per person is required. Each visa applicant is not allowed to have more than ONE appointment. If you have more than one, all your appointments will be cancelled.

Visa appointments may be full in busy seasons, please try to schedule your appointment as soon as possible.​

Check visa result: Check visa resul​t - web.pdf


This visa allows the applicant to live and work in Spain without the need of applying previously for a work permit. This is a national visa which means that it is valid to live and work only in Spain. This type of visa is not for EU, EEA or Switzerland citizens, or a family member of these countries to which the regime of citizen of the Union applies​.


There are 2 types of residences:

a)       Less than 180 days,

b)      Over 180 days. The foreigner should apply in person within 1 month after he/she enters into Spain for an ID card (Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero) at the Oficina de Extranjería or the Police Station (Comisaría de Policía), ​​

Who can apply for this Visa?

A)  Technicians, researchers and Scientifics invited or contracted by Spanish Authorities.

B)  Teachers, technicians, researchers and Scientifics invited or contracted by a Spanish University.

C)  Directors and teachers of cultural organizations who will do cultural/teaching programs in Spain.

D)  Civil servants or Military officers who will perform activities in Spain according to bilateral cooperation agreements.

E)   Correspondents of foreign media.

F)   International Scientific Missions members.

G)  Artists who will perform in Spain for a period up to 5 days in a row, or up to 20 days in a period of 6 months.

H)  The members of religious orders.

I)   Members of the board of directors/administration of international trade/labor unions.

J)   Minors who are under the tutelage/protection of a child protection organization.

Where should I apply for a Visa?

Only Hong Kong / Macau residents can apply for a visa at this Consulate General of Spain in Hong Kong. 

Required documents: 

  1. One form 'Application for a Nat​ional Visa', duly filled in and signed by the applicant.  

  2. One Ex-09 form

  3. One 790-052 form

  4. One recent colour photos, passport size, with white background.

  5. Passport original + 1 photocopy. The passport must be valid at least 1 year.

  6. Hong Kong / Macao ID (for non-permanent resident, the residence visa for HK or Macau is also required).

  7. Document(s) which prove the work exemption. (Click here to see details in Spanish).

  8. Criminal record check certificate. Applicants of legal age must submit both the original and a copy of the criminal record check certificate(s) issued by their country or countries of residence for the past 5 years. Foreign documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish. Please note that the Certificate of No Criminal Conviction must be issued within 6 months.

    For CNCC application in Hong Kong, the ​HK Police requires a referral letter from the Consulate or related foreign Authorities. You may send us the followings by email for requesting a referral letter:

    • ​CNCC letter application form (downloadIt opens in new windowIt opens in new window)
    • Passport copy
    • HKID card copy​​​

    ​Note: Please apply for the CNCC in advance as the processing time for HK CNCC usually takes 4 weeks. 

  9. Medical certificate, letter typed on doctor's stationery stating that the applicant does not suffer from any of the diseases which need quarantine under the International Health Regulation. It has also to state which tests were done and their results.

  10. Official translation​ to Spanish of item 7, 8, and 9. 

  11. Payment of Consular Fee​ (in cash or through FPS).

*** Your Certificate of No Criminal Conviction and your medical certificate should be issued within 2 months prior to the application. 


SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENTClick HereIt opens in new window    

An appointment per person is required. Each visa applicant is not allowed to have more than ONE appointment. If you have more than one, all your appointments will be cancelled.

Visa appointments may be full in busy seasons, please try to schedule your appointment as soon as possible.​​

The Residence Visa with Work Permit Exemption​ requires the obtainment of an initial residence permit, which is processed at the same time as the visa application. 

  • Who can apply for a visa: Visa applications must be submitted in person by the applicant.
  • Place of submission: Applications must be submitted in person at the Consular Office. An appointment is necessary. 
The address of this Consulate General is: 
Suite 5303, Central Plaza, 18 Harbour Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong

  • Proof of receipt: The Consular Office will provide the applicant with proof of receipt of the application with a code that enables them to check the status of the dossier through the following link: https://sutramite​consular.maec.e​s/Home.aspxIt opens in new windowIt opens in new window. The Consular Office will also provide a copy of the application form (form EX-09) and, where applicable, of the receipt of payment of the fee (form 790-52). 
  • Rectifying the application: The Consular Office may ask the applicant to submit any missing documents, or to provide additional documents or data that are necessary for a decision regarding the application. The applicant may also be called in for a personal interview. 
  • Decision period: The legal period for reaching a decision is of 3 months from the day after the application submission date, but this period may be extended if an interview or additional documents are requested. 
  • Collecting the visa: The visa must be collected in person by the applicant or by their legal representative (if the applicant is a minor) within a maximum period of 1 month, counted as of the day after the date on which the favourable decision is notified. The Consular Office will inform the applicant regarding the procedure for the return of the passport and any other original documentation.   
  • Refusal of the residence permit or visa: Refusals of the residence permit or visa will always be notified in writing, setting forth the grounds on which the decision adopted was based. 
  • Appeals: If a residence permit or visa is refused, the applicant may submit an appeal for reconsideration to this Consular Office within 1 month of the day following the date on which notification of the refusal is received. An application for judicial review may also be filed with the High Court of Justice of Madrid within the 2-month period beginning the day after the date on which the applicant receives notification of the refusal of the visa or residence permit or of the dismissal of the reconsideration appeal. 
  • Validity period of the visa: The visa will be valid for 90 days. Once in Spain, a Foreigner Identity Card must be applied for within a period of 1 month from the applicant's entry into Spain, at the Foreign Nationals' Office or the corresponding Police Station.