Este sitio web utiliza cookies propias y de terceros para su funcionamiento, mantener la sesión y personalizar la experiencia del usuario. Más información en nuestra política de Cookies

Student visa

October 31, 2022

​As of today’s date, we will ONLY be accepting Student visa applications by regular mail, the envelope must be postmarked only from October 28th, 2022 until November 12th, 2022 inclusive.

Please follow the next steps and rules.


The applicant can send all the mandatory requirements by secure regular mail with a tracking number and once the visa process is complete, the applicant must come in person to the consulate to pick up the passport and visa, with no exceptions. 


We will need you to send an extra self-addressed and prepaid US Postal Service, Priority, or Express with tracking number to deliver the confirmation and instructions on how and when to pick up your visa. 
Applications received without this envelope will not be accepted.
The Consulate will not communicate with you when your visa is ready for pick up.
Student visa instructions to follow are located after this notification on this same page below.


Consulate General of Spain


180 N. Michigan Ave, Suite 1500

Chicago, IL 60601

(We will only receive envelopes by secure mail (please keep tracking number for your records). The Consulate is not responsible for the loss or tracking of the package and will not reply to emails requesting confirmation of receiving the package.



1.    Pre-Paid return envelope (mentioned previously) to return your instructions on how to pick up your visa. Please include a self-addressed and prepaid envelope (with a stamp), from the US Postal Service ONLY. The envelope is mandatory even when you are going to come in person to pick up the passport. You can use Priority Mail or Express Mail from the US Postal Service; keep the tracking information for your records. The Consulate is not responsible for such tracking.

2.    Type and print on paper the following information: (name, last name, email, and cell phone number to contact you during business hours). Be alert, you might receive an email or phone call from us in case we need to talk to you about the process of your visa. If you do not hear from us is because the process follows the usual procedure. 

3.    ORIGINAL AND COPY OF ALL THE MANDATORY REQUIREMENTS of pages 1 and 2 of your visa instruction (The Consulate will keep the copies and will return the originals if they were needed by the applicant). PROOF OF RESIDENCE: Please send a copy (not original) of your Student ID and Driver’s License or State ID.

4.     Fill out the disclaimer sign and write down the tracking number of the return envelope, # 14 of student visa instructions below.

5.    FEE. Please include a money order payable to the Consulate of Spain and print your complete name as appears in your passport, please do not sign it. If you are an American citizen the fee is $160, if you are not, please check our complete visa fees #12 of student visa instructions below.

-    The Consulate cannot respond to emails confirming received applications, the status of such applications, or returns of incomplete applications packages. 

-    Your passport must stay at the Consulate for a period of at least 5 weeks, so be aware, the Consulate cannot return your passport during your visa process.

-    The additional return envelope is mandatory. 



Visa for stays exceeding 90 days for studies, training, internships or voluntary work. 

Study stays of less than 90 days do not require a study visa. Depending on the applicant's nationality, a short-stay visa may be required (see “Schengen visas"). 

​The following family members may obtain a visa to accompany the student: 

  • The spouse or unmarried partner.
  • Children who are minors or who have a disability. 

Visas for students' family members do not constitute work permits.  

The Consulate General of Spain in Chicago will consider applications for all kind of visas by appointment and in person only if you study (Student ID card) or your permanent address in your Driver´s License or US State ID shows that you live in: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin

Important information for Universities and P​rograms

​Large group appointment requirement:

The Consulate General of Spain in Chicago will ONLY accept groups of student visa applications from applicants attending a school/university/program located in one of the following states: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin. If the student attends a university in any other state, it is mandatory to contact our consulate in that territory.

Activities for which a student visa may be obtained​​​ 

  • Full-time studies at an authorized school that will lead to the obtainment of a degree or certificate of studies. 
  • Doctorate studies.
  • Training activities.
  • Student mobility programmes at compulsory and/or non-compulsory secondary education level at an officially recognized teaching or scientific centre.
  • Training placements at public or private bodies or entities that cannot be covered by internship visas (see “Internship visa").
  • Volunteer services in the framework of programmes pursuing public interest goals.

Required documents for the student​​ ​​

Mandatory requirements to be translated only by a certified translator into Spanish language #4, 5, 6, 7  and 8.​

1. National visa application formIt opens in new window. Each applicant must complete and sign a visa application, filling in each of its sections.  ​​​​​

2. Photograph. A recent, passport-size, colour photograph, taken against a light background, facing forward, without dark or reflective glasses, or any garments concealing the oval of the face.​​​​​ Photographs must be glued to the form. ​

3. Valid, unexpired passport. The original and a photocopy of the page or pages of the passport that contain biometric data must be submitted. The passport must have a minimum validity period of 1 year and contain two blank pages. Passports issued more than 10 years ago will not be accepted.​  

4. Proof of acceptance for the study, training or volunteer activity or internship. Original and a copy of the document proving:

  • Acceptance at an authorized teaching centre to carry out a full-time study programme, it is mandatory to indicate: name, address, contact person, telephone and email of the school in Spain, full payment of tuition, dates of the program, subjects of study and hours of study per week (20 hours minimum).

  • Acceptance at a research or training centre.
  • Acceptance into a student mobility programme (in this case, the applicant must also provide proof of acceptance at a study centre, of having found accommodation with a family or at an institution, and the commitment of the organizer of the programme to bear the costs).
  • Acceptance for a non-remunerated internship on the basis of a signed agreement.
  • An agreement with the organization responsible for the volunteer programme. 

5. Proof of financial means. Provide either of the fol​​lowing:

  • Statement from the University/School or US program assuming full financial responsibility.
  • Proof of financial aid or scholarship of at least 100% IPREM. The minimum required amount is equivalent to 100% of Spain's Public Multiple Effects Income Indicator (IPREM​). To this amount must be added 75% of the IPREM for the first family member and 50% of the IPREM for each additional family member​. 
  • Notarized *letter of parents/custodians, assuming full financial responsibility for room and board of the specified amount (or its equivalent in USD). The minimum required amount is equivalent to 100% of Spain's Public Multiple Effects Income Indicator (IPREM​

​*Notarized letter suggested wording: “I hereby certify that I, the (father, mother, other), of (full name), will support her/him with a monthly allowance of  $(monthly allowance indicated at the website) while she/he is in Spain and that I am financially responsible for any emergency that may occur."

  • 3 last bank statements of student's bank account showing a minimum balance for the complete stay in Spain. The minimum required amount is equivalent to 100% of Spain's Public Multiple Effects Income Indicator (IPREM​).​

6. Health insurance. Original and a copy of the certificate accrediting the public or private health insurance contracted with an insurance entity authorized to operate in Spain (Spanish companies offer unlimited coverage) . The insurance policy must cover all the risks insured by Spain's public health system, it should not have coverage limits or grace periods for certain benefits, no co-payments or deductible. Medical insurance may be accepted from international companies that covering up to a maximum of US$500,000 and meet the other required characteristics. 

Travel insurance is not accepted.

If the applicant is participating in a volunteer programme, in addition to the medical insurance, they must provide a copy of the civil liability insurance policy taken out by the organization. 

7. Criminal record check certificate (stays over 180 days). Applicants of legal age must submit both the original and a copy of the criminal record check certificate(s) issued by their country or countries of residence for the past 5 years. Foreign documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish. It cannot be older than 5 months from the application date. 

The certificate must be issued from FBIIt opens in new window and Legalized with the Apostille of the Hague Convention by the Department of State in Washington DCIt opens in new window

Local Police background check will not be accepted. 

8. Medical certificate (stays over 180 days​ and not older than 3 months in doctor's or medical center's letterhead). Original and a copy of a medical certificate accrediting that "the applicant does not suffer from any disease that could cause serious repercussions for public health pursuant to the 2005 International Health Regulations". The medical certificate must have the Doctor's Stamp (in Spanish or translated into Spanish if our template is not used) It is recommended to use our template​​​.

9. Proof of residence in the consular district. Provide the original and a copy of US Driver's license, US State ID or Student ID card.

10. For current College students: Letter from University/School in the US explaining that: “credits obtained by student in Spain will be transferred to the University in the US towards student's graduation". The letter can also mention that the US college/school has an agreement with school in Spain.​

11. Proof of accommodation​. Provide one of the following documents:

  • Statement from the University/School or US program assuming accommodation

  • Lease (minimum of 3 months) signed by the two parts of the lease The owner of the place must request a  “Nota Simple" (issued in the last 3 months by​It opens in new window).

  • Hotel reservation for at least 3 months.

  • If you are staying with a Spanish family or a legal resident:
    • If the family is assigned by the program, present an official letter from the program with all the details.
    • If the family owns the property provide: “Acta de Manifestaciones" signed by the family in front of a Public notary in Spain + “Nota Simple" (see above).
    • If the family doesn't own the property provide “Acta de Manifestaciones" see above + lease of the property + "Nota Simple" of the owner of the property.

12. Payment of the visa fee. At the Consular Office. Only money orders are accepted. No personal checks, no credit cards, no cash. Please visit our website to check the most recent visa fees.​ 

13. One Express Mail envelope self-addressed and with prepaid stamps from the US Postal Service per applicant. Once the visa is approved, the Consulate will return applicant's passport inside the Express Mail envelope. Applicant can check the status of the shipment by tracking the envelope at

14. Disclaimer form must be presented with application. Please download it here 

15. Evidence of Immigration Status in the US, for non US passport holders only: Please provide a Permanent Resident Card or US Immigrant visa.

Translations into Spanish: AMERICAN TRANSLATORS ASSOCIATION  ​ opens in new window

​The Consulate does not track mail or answer emails asking for visa status.

When necessary to assess the application, the Consular Office may request additional documents or data and may also ask the applicant to come in for a personal interview.

Required documents for family members​ 

For each family member accompanying the student, the following must be submitted: 

  • The documents listed above as 1, 2, 3, 5, ​6, 7, 8, 9 , 12, 13, 14 and 15. ​

Moreover, the certificates proving kinship with the student (marriage certificate, unmarried couple certificate, or birth certificate, as applicable) must be provided. Foreign documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish. 

When necessary to assess the application, the Consular Office may request additional documents or data and may also ask the applicant to come in for a personal interview. 


This Consular Office is competent to accept visa applications from individuals residing in the consular district or who are regularly in the consular district for study purposes even if they are not a resident. 

Applying for a study visa also entails applying for a study stay permit. 

  • Who can apply for a visa: Visa applications must be submitted in person by the applicant or by one of their parents if the applicant is a minor. They may also be submitted through a duly accredited representative. 
  • Visa application period: Visa applications must be submitted sufficiently in advance of the beginning of the pertinent study programmes (not before 90 days prior to the beginning of the studies in Spain​), as the procedure entails consultations with other authorities.   
  • Proof of receipt: The Consular Office will provide the applicant with proof of receipt of the application with a code that enables them to check the status of the dossier through the following link: opens in new window 
  • Rectifying the application: The Consular Office may ask the applicant to submit any missing documents, or to provide additional documents or data that are necessary for a decision regarding the application.   The applicant may also be called in for a personal interview. 
  • Decision period: The legal period for reaching a decision is of 1 month from the day after the application submission date, but this period may be extended if an interview or additional documents are requested. 
  • Collecting the visa:  The Consular Office will inform the applicant regarding the procedure for the return of the passport and any other original documentation.  
  • Refusal of the visa or study stay permit: Refusals of the visa or study stay permit will always be notified in writing, setting forth the grounds on which the decision adopted was based. 
  • Appeals: If a study stay permit or visa is refused, the applicant may submit an appeal for reconsideration to this Consular Office within 1 month of the day following the date on which notification of the refusal is received. An application for judicial review may also be filed with the High Court of Justice of Madrid within the 2-month period beginning the day after the date on which the applicant receives notification of the visa refusal or of the dismissal of the reconsideration appeal. 
  • Validity period of the visa: If the study stay does not exceed 6 months, the visa will be valid for the entire stay and it will not be necessary to obtain a Foreigner Identity Card. 

    ​If the study stay is for longer than 6 months, the visa will be valid for a 90-day stay. The student must apply for a Foreigner Identity Card within a period of 1 month from their entry into Spain, at the Foreign Nationals' Office or the Police Station of the province in which the permit was processed.