IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Spanish Government has signed a contract with an external company (BLS International) for processing visas for Spanish Consular Offices in the United States.
IT IS MANDATORY TO REQUEST AN APPOINTMENT
For AU PAIR Visas must request an appointment through this website https://blssoftwares.com/nationalVisa/appointments/appointment
Visa for stays exceeding 90 days for students linked to Au Pair Program in Spain.
- The applicant must be between 18 and 30.
- The Consulate of Spain in Chicago will consider applications for residents in this jurisdiction: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin.
- Applications are in person by appointment only.
1. National visa application form. The applicant must complete and sign an official application form, filling in each of its sections.
2. Photo has to be glued to the application form. An updated photo-paper picture, passport size, facing forward, without dark or reflective glasses, or any garments concealing the oval of the face.
3. Valid, unexpired passport. Original and copy of the page or pages of the passport that contain biometric data. The passport must have a minimum validity of 1 year and contain at least two blank pages. Passports issued more than 10 years ago will not be accepted.
4. Proof of residence in the consular jurisdiction: State ID, Driver´s License or Student ID.
5. Proof of legal residence in the United States (Non Americans). Must present one of the following documents:
- Original and copy of Permanent Resident Card (Green card).
- Valid US Immigrant visa plus a copy of the I-20 document.
- Holders of B-1/B-2 visas cannot apply in the United States; they must apply in their country of permanent residence.
6. Visa fee. For nationals of Australia, Ethiopia, Canada, the United Kingdom and others, different rates are applied based on reciprocity. Please check the complete most recent visa fees 2024
Present the payment the day of your appointment. Only money orders are accepted, payable to the Consulate of Spain. No cash, personal checks, nor credit cards. The processing fee will not be returned even if the visa is not granted or canceled.
APPLICANT FEE 2024
Americans $ 160
Other Nationalities $ 88
7. Acceptance letter in Spanish issued by a Language school registered in the Instituto Cervantes in Spain indicating:
- Applicant`s full name.
- Passport number.
- Initial and ending dates of the course.
- Minimum 20 h per week.
- Contact name, phone number and email of the person at the school.
8. Proof of financial means. The minimum required amount is equivalent to the100% of IPREM . For 2023 is aprox. US$ 700 per month, provide either of the following:
- Three (3) last bank statements of the applicant's bank account showing a minimum balance for the complete stay in Spain.
- Notarized letter of parents/custodians, assuming full financial responsibility, along with their bank statements of the last three months.
Suggested wording: "I hereby certify that I the (name of: father, mother, other) of (applicants' name), will support her/him with a monthly allowance of us$700 per/month while she/he is in Spain and that I am financially responsible for any emergency that may arise."
9. Health insurance/Proof of public or private health insurance: Certificate in Spanish issued by an Insurance Company operating in Spain specifying:
- Name of applicant.
- Start date of the coverage.
- The insurance must cover all risks normally covered for nationals and must be maintained for the entire duration of the authorization.
- The health insurance must not have a deductible, copayment, or coverage limit; it must cover 100% of the medical, hospital, and out-of-hospital expenses. The coverage has to be minimum $50.000 (30.000 Euros).
- An Insurance card will NOT be accepted as proof of coverage.
- Travel insurance is not accepted.
- It is not necessary to cover repatriations and/or evacuations.
10. Contract/Agreement based on the rules and conditions of the Au Pair program, in Spanish signed by the family and Au pair, legitimated “legitimación" by a Notary in Spain. It must content at least these sections:
- Duration of the placement agreement.
- Participation in services or chores.
- Provision of one full day off per week.
- The address, which the placed Au pair will share with the host family.
- A commitment of the host family to allow the person time to attend language courses.
- The money pocket amount that the Au pair will receive monthly.
The Consular Office may request additional documents or data.
For stays over 180 days, add:
Criminal record check certificate (valid for 6 months). Applicants over 18 must present original and copy of the criminal record check certificate issued by FBI and legalized with the Federal Apostille of the Hague Convention requested to the Department of State in Washington DC
- The applicant must present criminal record certificates from the countries of residence of the last 5 years.
- The certificates must be translated into Spanish by a certified. translator : American Translators Association
- Local State Apostille is not valid.
Bilingual Medical certificate, accrediting student´s good health pursuant to the 2005 International Health Regulations. It must have the Doctor's Stamp, or can be printed on medical center´s letterhead; it must not be older than 3 months. It is recommended to use our template
Applying for a study visa also entails applying for a study stay permit.
- Who can apply for a visa: This Consular Office is competent to accept visa applications from individuals residing in the consular district or who are regularly in the consular district for study purposes even if they are not a resident. Visa applications must be submitted in person by the applicant or may also be submitted through a duly accredited representative.
- Visa application period: Visa applications must be submitted sufficiently in advance of the beginning of the pertinent study programs, as the procedure entails consultations with other authorities.
- Place of submission: Applications must be submitted in person by appointment at BLS International Office, located at 121 W Wacker Dr. Suite 1307, Chicago, IL. Book it through this link: https://blssoftwares.com/nationalVisa/appointments/appointment
- Rectifying the application: The Consular Office may ask the applicant to submit any missing documents, or to provide additional documents or data that are necessary for a decision regarding the application. The applicant may also be called in for a personal interview.
- Decision period: The legal period for reaching a decision is of 1 month from the day after the application submission date, but this period may be extended if an interview or additional documents are requested.
- Collecting the visa: BLS International will inform the applicant regarding the procedure for the return of the passport and any other original documentation.
- Refusal of the visa or study stay permit: Refusals of the visa or study stay permit will always be notified in writing, setting forth the grounds on which the decision adopted was based.
- Appeals: If a study stay permit or visa is refused, the applicant may submit an appeal for reconsideration to this Consular Office within 1 month of the day following the date on which notification of the refusal is received. An application for judicial review may also be filed with the High Court of Justice of Madrid within the 2-month period beginning the day after the date on which the applicant receives the notification of the visa refusal or of the dismissal of the reconsideration appeal.
- The validity period of the visa: If the study stay does not exceed 6 months, the visa will be valid for the entire stay and it will not be necessary to obtain a Foreigner Identity Card.
If the study stay is for longer than 6 months, the visa will be valid for a 90-day stay. The student must apply for a Foreigner Identity Card within a period of 1 month from their entry into Spain, at the Foreign Nationals' Office or the Police Station of the province in which the permit was processed.