Este sitio web utiliza cookies propias y de terceros para su funcionamiento, mantener la sesión y personalizar la experiencia del usuario. Más información en nuestra política de Cookies

Non-working residence visa

Visa to reside in Spain without carrying out any gainful (work or professional) activity, provided that the applicant has sufficient and guaranteed means to live on. This visa does not constitute a work permit and does not allow any type of work or professional activity, including remote, as this is not a digital nomad visa.

The following family members may also obtain the visa: 

  • The spouse or unmarried partner.
  • Dependent children and dependent relatives in the ascending line who form part of the family unit.
The Consulate General of Spain in Boston will only consider applications if you are a permanent resident in one of the states of our jurisdiction: Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont.


Required documents​​ 

All the mandatory* requirements must be translated into Spanish. *(#5, 6, 7 and 8).

1. National visa application form​It opens in new window. Each applicant must complete and sign a visa application, filling in each of its sections. 

2. Non working residence application formIt opens in new window. ​Each applicant must complete and sign a copy of the EX-01 form, filling in each of its sections. 

3. Photograph. A recent, passport-size, colour photograph, taken against a light background, facing forward, without dark or reflective glasses, or any garm​ents concealing the oval of the face. Photograph must be glued to the form.

4.Valid, unexpired passport. The original and a photocopy of the page or pages of the passport that contain biometric data must be submitted. The passport must have a minimum validity period of 1 year and contain two blank pages. Passports issued more than 10 years ago will not be accepted. Emergency passports are not accepted.

5. Proof of financial means. The applicant must submit the originals and a copy of the documents proving that they have sufficient financial means to cover the expenses of residing in Spain for the initial year of the residence permit, or accrediting that they have a regular source of income, for themselves and, where applicable, for the family members accompanying them. The minimum required amount is equivalent to 400% of Spain's Public Multiple Effects Income Indicator (IPREM). To this amount must be added 100% of the IPREM for each family member in the applicant's care. These documents are the following:

  • Bank statements of the last 3 months from all your bank accounts (no need to be translated into Spanish).
  • Social Security Benefits, Private of Public retirement benefit other than the Social Security Administration (Army Veteran, Teacher´s union, etc.).
  • Any other source of income totalling the minimum required. 
  • Non officially retired people: the retirement plan (IRA, 401-K) is not admitted as a proof. 
  • Only for non retired people, last 3 years of complete TAX IRS returns (no need to be translated into Spanish).​

6. Health insurance. Original and a copy of the certificate accrediting the public or private health insurance contracted with an insurance entity authorized to operate in Spain. The insurance policy must cover all the risks insured by Spain's public health system and all the preventive, diagnostic, treatment and rehabilitation assistance activities that are carried out in health centers or socio-health centers, as well as urgent health transport. It will need to cover the whole stay in Spain.

The health insurance must not have a deficiency, copayment, or coverage limit, that is, it must cover 100% of the medical, hospital, and out-of-hospital expenses.

Travel insurances and insurance cards are not accepted.​

7. Criminal record check certificate dated no more than six months before the application date, stating that the applicant does not have criminal record where he has lived in the last five years. Not applicable for students under 18 years old.

You must request a background check verified by fingerprint comparison. The crimin​al background check must be issued by the US Department of Justice - Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). We do not accept state or local police criminal certificates.

The criminal record must be legalized with the FBI Apostille certification and translated into Spanish by a sworn/certified translator. The translation does not need an Apostille and the Apostille does not need a translation.




If the applicant has spent six month or more during the last five years in another country/State, he/she must submit the police records from that country/State, legalized with the Apostille Certification and translated into Spanish. If the country is not part of the Hague Convention the document must be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then by the Spanish Consulate in that country.​

8. Bilingual medical certificate (not older than 3 months in doctor's or medical center's letterhead). Original and a copy of a medical certificate accrediting that the applicant does not suffer from any disease that could cause serious repercussions for public health pursuant to the 2005 International Health Regulations. The medical certificate must have the Doctor's Stamp and signature (in Spanish or translated into Spanish).

9. Proof of residence in the consular district. ​​​

10. Proof of accommodation. Provide one of the following documents (in Spanish):

  • Lease of minimum 3 months signed by two parts of it.
  • If the applicant own a property must present Title deed of property  or Nota Simple.​

11.Payment of fees. Only money orders are accepted. No personal checks, no credit cards, no cash.​ Do not forget to fill all the information: pay to: "CONSULADO GENERAL DE ESPAÑA” and your name. U.S citizens must bring two money orders: one for $140 (the visa fee) and one for $12 (the 790 form fee). If the 790 form has already been paid en Spain, the applicant must present the receipt instead of the money order for $12. For other nationalities, the amount of the fee must be consulted with the Consular Office. ​

The applicant must complete all the fields and sign this form 790 code 052​It opens in new window, ticking box 2.1 (initial temporary residence permit).

The processing fee will not be returned even if the visa is not granted or cancelled. 


Required documents for family members

For each family member it will be necessary to submit:​

  • All the required documents specified in sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (except minors), 8, 9 and 10. For minors, the visa application and the residence permit application must be signed by one of their parents. 
  • Documents constituting proof of family relationship with the applicant accrediting financial means: birth or marriage certificates issued by the civil registry, certificate of registration as an unmarried couple or any other document substantiating an unmarried partnership with the applicant (all of them except the birth certificate must be issued in the last 12 months). All documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with a translation into Spanish.
  • In the case of descendants older than 18, documents proving financial dependence, the adult child's civil status and that they still are part of the family unit. All documents must be apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with a translation into Spanish.
  • In the case of relatives in the ascending line, documents proving financial dependence and that they form part of the family unit. All documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with a translation into Spanish. 

When necessary to assess the application, the Consular Office may request additional documents or data and may also ask the applicant to come in for a personal interview.


This Consular Office is competent to accept visa applications only from individuals residing in this consular district.

All non-working residence visas require the obtainment of an initial residence permit, which is processed at the same time as the visa application. 

  • Who can apply for this visa: Visa applications must be submitted in person by the applicant.
  • How to apply for this visa: Through email to (These visas are not proceeded through BLS but directly at the Consulate).
  • ​Proof of receipt: The Consular Office will provide the applicant with proof of receipt of the application with a code that enables them to check the status of the dossier through the following link: https://su​tramite​consular.maec.e​s/Home.aspxIt opens in new window. The Consular Office will also provide a copy of the application form (form EX-01) and, where applicable, of the receipt of payment of the fee (form 790-52). 
  • Rectifying the application: The Consular Office may ask the applicant to submit any missing documents, or to provide additional documents or data that are necessary for a decision regarding the application. The applicant may also be called in for a personal interview. 
  • Decision period: The legal period for reaching a decision is of 3 months from the day after the application submission date, but this period may be extended if an interview or additional documents are requested. 
  • Collecting the visa:  Once it is ready, the applicant will be informed and will need to come in person to the Consulate to pick up the visa.
  • Refusal of the residence permit or visa: Refusals of the residence permit or visa will always be notified in writing, setting forth the grounds on which the decision adopted was based. 
  • Appeals: If a residence permit or visa is refused, the applicant may submit an appeal for reconsideration to this Consular Office within 1 month of the day following the date on which notification of the refusal is received. An application for judicial review may also be filed with the High Court of Justice of Madrid within the 2-month period beginning the day after the date on which the applicant receives notification of the refusal of the visa or residence permit or of the dismissal of the reconsideration appeal. 
  • Validity period of the visa: The visa will be valid for 90 days. Once in Spain, a Foreigner Identity Card must be applied for within a period of 1 month from the applicant's entry into Spain, at the Foreign Nationals' Office or the corresponding Police Station.