Este sitio web utiliza cookies propias y de terceros para su funcionamiento, mantener la sesión y personalizar la experiencia del usuario. Más información en nuestra política de Cookies


November 27, 2023
Please, read every requirement detailed in this page until the end

The applicant must be a permanent student at an educational institution or a legal resident in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont or Maine.

Stays shorter than 90 days do not require a study visa for holders of United States passports. Depending on your nationality, a short-stay visa may be required (see “Schengen visas").

An applicant will be considered an “au pair" when there is not a working but a collaborative relation with the family characterized by the following:

  • The au pair will have the same address of the family with whom she/he will live.
  • Services or housework will be only complimentary to the main purpose.
  • ​The au pair will not receive a salary for services.

The applicant must be between 17 and 30 years of age. 

Applications must be submitted in person at BLS Boston: 15 Court Square, suite 520, Boston MA 02108. A​ previous appointment is always requested. Appointments must be requested through  ​

​There are not paid appointments or expedited processes. If you do not see appointments available, it means that the slots are full.

​Documents required:

1. One national visa application form​It opens in new window. Each applicant will complete all sections and sign one application form. If the applicant is a minor, one of her parents or a duly accredited representative will sign the application, either through a notarized letter from the applicant or through a letter from the university or educational center. 

2. One photograph. A recent passport-size, in color, with a light background, taken from the front, without dark glasses, reflections, or clothing that hides the oval of the face. Copies of photos are not accepted.

3. Payment of the visa fee with cash. The fee is  USD 160 for American citizens. For other citizens​ please check the fee. 

4. Valid and current passport with at least 2 blank pages and valid for at least the entire duration of the intended stay and have two blank pages. Passports issued more than 10 years ago are not accepted. They must also be valid at least until 3 months after the end of the stay in Spain. Emergency passports are not accepted.

5. NOTARIZED COPY of proof of residence in this consular jurisdiction. The visa applicant must be legally residing or studying on-site in the consular demarcation of this Consulate General, which includes the states of Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Maine and Vermont. The residence must be accredited through the student card of a university center or valid ID. 

In the case of non-US applicants, they must also present a NOTARIZED COPY of their residence card in the United States (in our jurisdiction) or​​​​​ a long-term visa. B-1/B-2 visa holders cannot apply for a study visa in the United States; they must apply in their country of residence or country of origin.

6. Au pair Contract signed by the family and Au pair and legitimated “legitimación" by a Notary in Spain (in Spanish) or a Notarized statement from the host family stating the conditions mentioned below. The statement must be signed by the host family before a notary public in Spain. It should contain (In Spanish):

  • ​Duration of the placement agreement, with a maximum of one year.
  • Participation in services or chores, no more than 5 hours a day.
  • Provision of one full day off per week. At least one of the days off each month will be a Sunday and the au pair must be given the best facilities to participate in religious activities.
  • The address which the placed "au pair" will share with the host family, and enjoy a certain degree of independence.
  • Commitment of the host family to allow the person sufficient time to attend language courses and to improve their cultural and professional knowledge.
  • ​The pocket money concept “amount that the au pair will receive monthly".
  • The agreement must allow both parties to terminate the contract by giving a two weeks notice.​​

7. Acceptance letter in Spanish issued by an approved Language school in Spain indicating: 

  • ​Applicant´s full name.
  • Passport number.
  • Initial and ending dates of the course.
  • Minimum 20 hours of class per week.
  • Contact  name, phone number and email of the person at the school. 

The duration of the program and the au pair activity must be around the same time. The student must be registered full time and successfully complete the program.

8. Health insurance from an insurer recognized and authorized to operate in Spain. ORIGINAL AND COPY. The insurance must cover all risks normally covered for nationals and must be valid during the whole stay in Spain. It must cover at least all the preventive, diagnostic, treatment and rehabilitation assistance activities that are carried out in health centers or socio-health centers, as well as urgent health transport. The health insurance must not have a deficiency, copayment, or coverage limit, that is, it must cover 100% of the medical, hospital, and out-of-hospital expenses.

It must be health insurance. Travel insurances and insurance cards are not accepted. ​

If the student's letter of admission does not indicate it, then the student must bring a letter from their private health insurance indicating that they are insured internationally at no additional cost.

​The document from your health insurance company must show that covers you​:

    • At least $500,000 ​
    • Without deductibles, copays or wai​ting periods
    • 100% of medical/hospital/out-of-h​​ospital expenses (all risks insured by the Public Health System in Spain).
    • T​he entire length of studies in Spain.

9. Disclaimer form​It opens in new window signed.

10. Minor applicants.  These documents must be submitted:

  • Photocopies of both parents passports legalized with the Apostille of The Hague Convention;
  • Birth certificate of the minor issued in the last 12 months, and legalized with the Apostille of The Hague Convention;
  • Authorization to travel from both parents: Notarized written authorization of both parents/custodians to travel abroad, legalized with Apostille. This authorizacion must expressly state the  time that the minor is authorized and:  name, last name, DNI or NIE numbers and address of the responsible persons of the minor in Spain;
  • At least one parent  have to be present with the minor; the absent parent must give a notarized authorization to the present parent to apply in his/her behalf;
  • ​Tutor Responsibilities in Spain: Express authorization of the person who represents/coexists with the child during her/his stay in Spain  to carry out the necessary consultation in the Registry of Crimes of a Sexual Nature, unless it is provided by the staff of the Educational Institution in Spain. They also must provide copies of the DNI/NIE of each member of the household. 

WHEN THE STAY EXCEEDS 180 DAYS applicants must also send:

- Criminal record certificate​: original and copy of the criminal record certificate issued by the country or countries of residence in the last 5 years.

In the US the criminal record certificate must be issued by the US Department of Justice – Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Certificates issued at the state level by the Department of Law Enforcement, nor those issued at the local level, are not accepted.

The criminal record must be legalized with the FBI Apostille certification and translated into Spanish by a sworn/certified translator. The translation does not need an Apostille and the Apostille does not need a translation.




Any criminal record certificate that has been tampered with or damaged (including staple remo​val damage) will not be accepted.

If you have lived outside the United States for the last five years, you must also submit a criminal record certificate (legalized with the Hague Apostille) and its translation into Spanish (and a notarized copy of both documents). If you have lived in countries that are not part of the 1961 Hague Convention, the certificate must be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of that country and then by the Consulate of Spain in that country.

-  Medical certificate. Original and copy of a medical certificate accrediting that "the applicant does not suffer from any disease that could cause serious repercussions for public health pursuant to the 2005 International Health Regulations". 

The certificate must have been issued within 90 days prior to the visa application, and must include a doctor's signature and stamp/letterhead. If it is written in English, it must be accompanied by a translation into Spanish. Medical certificates do not need Apostille.

When necessary to assess the application, this Consular Office may request additional documents and/or ask the applicant to come personally for an interview.​

V​isa validity period: The applicant must enter the Spanish territory during the period of validity of the visa. The visa must be stamped upon entry into the Schengen area.

The visa will be issued considering the dates of studies and au pair services: we can approve 5 days before and 5 days after BUT in these cases you must be covered by the health insurance these 10 extra days.

If the stay is shorter than 6 months, the visa will be valid for the whole stay and it will not be necessary to obtain a Foreigner Identity Card. 

If the stay is longer than 6 months, the visa will be valid for a 90-day stay and the applicant will need to apply for a Foreigner Identity Card (TIE) within the first month in Spain, at the Comisaría de Extranjería y Documentación in the city where the applicant will stay.