Previously the five sub-committees that make up the Bi-national Commission had met: Political Affairs; Economic-Financial Affairs; Legal-Consular and Home Affairs; Cooperation – under its headings of Scientific-Technical Cooperation, Educational-Cultural Cooperation and Legal-Consular and Home Affairs; and Defence.
This is the 12th edition of the Bi-national Commission – our framework for benchmark institutional relations – since it was set up in October 1977. This year’s meeting takes on a special importance since 2017 is not only the 40th anniversary of its creation, but also the 40th anniversary of a renewed period in diplomatic relations between our two countries. For that reason, Mexico and Spain wanted to place particular importance on the meetings being held over these two days. To this end the meetings have also included the presence of the Mexican Ministers for Culture and for Labour, Mª Cristina Cepeda and Alfonso Navarrete, respectively.
The 12th Bi-national Commission has allowed us to observe that on this 40th anniversary, thanks to the hard work of recent decades, our diplomatic relations are now much closer.
On the occasion of the present edition of the Bi-national Commission, in addition to the Final Act of the 12th Spain-Mexico Bi-national Commission, six texts of differing legal natures were also signed between the two countries:
- Agreement on Air Transport between the United Mexican States and the Kingdom of Spain.
- Partnership Agreement between ICEX-Spanish Exports and Investments [Institute of Foreign Trade] and ProMéxico.
- Memorandum of Understanding on Academic-Diplomatic Collaboration between the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the United Mexican States and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation of the Kingdom of Spain.
- Memorandum of Understanding on Consumer Protection Affairs between the Federal Consumer’s Agency of the United Mexican States and the Spanish Agency for Consumption, Food Security and Nutrition of the Kingdom of Spain.
- Memorandum of Understanding on cooperation and technical assistance on labour matters between the Ministry of Employment and Social Security of Spain and the Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare of Mexico.
- Joint Declaration on the handover of Casa Buñuel.
During the meetings, we have been able to once again observe that the Bi-national Commission is an excellent instrument for the governments of our two countries to turn those ties of mutual understanding and reciprocal interest that unite our citizens, into progress on the continued improvement, extension and enhancement of certain already strategic relations.
-NON OFFICIAL TRANSLATION-