- Degree in Law and Economy from Deusto University, Bilbao, Spain (1965).
Validates his Degree in Law before the National Tribunal (1965), cum laude.
- State Fiscal Auditor (1968).
- International Tax Program, Harvard Law School (1972).
- Master of Laws, Harvard Law School (1972-1973).
- Doctor of Law, Miguel Hernández University, Elche, Spain (2002), cum laude.
- Professor, School of Law, San Sebastián (1970).
- Head of Studies and Programming, Technical Secretariat-General of the Finance Ministry (1974).
- Member of Parliament (1977-1979, 1979-1982, 1986-1989, 1989-1993, 1993-1994).
- Director-General for Community Development, Ministry of Culture (1977-1979).
- Chairman of the Petitions Committee, Congress of Deputies (1979-1982).
- Secretary-General of the Centrist Parliamentary Group (1981-1982).
- Executive Secretary and Training Secretary of the UCD party (1981).
- Rapporteur, Central Economic Administrative Tribunal (1982-1986).
- Professor, Master in the European Communities, Polytechnic University of Madrid (1982-1989).
- Secretary of International Relations for the Christian Democrats (1983-1989).
- Professor of Community Taxation, Instituto de Empresa Business School of Madrid (1985-1986).
- Economy and Taxation Spokesman of the PDP (1986-1989).
- Economy and Taxation Spokesman of the Popular Group of the Congress of Deputies (1989-1994).
- Member of the European Parliament (1994-2011).
- Deputy Chairman of the Subcommittee on Economic and Monetary Affairs (1994-1999).
- Chairman of the Intergroup on Financial Services (1994-1999).
- Deputy Chairman of the Delegation for Central America and Cuba (1994-2004).
- Deputy Chairman of the Economic and Monetary Affairs Committee (1999-2011).
- Member of the Delegation in the Euro-Latin American Parliamentary Assembly (1999-2004).
- Member of the Delegation to the EU-Mexico Joint Parliamentary Committee (1999-2004).
- Member of the Delegation to the ACP-EU Joint Parliamentary Assembly (2004-2009).
- Chief of the EU Election Observation Mission in Togo (2010).
- Chief of the Parliamentary Delegation for Election Observation in Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico and Peru.
- Member of the Parliamentary Delegation for Election Observation in Mozambique, Rwanda, Sudan, Uganda, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama and Peru.
- Member of Parliamentary Delegations in China, India, Japan, New Zealand, Egypt, Namibia, Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay.
- Grand Cross for Civil Merit (1982).
- Order of Constitutional Merit (1983).