Foreign citizens wishing to engage in gainful or professional activity or employment, must meet the following requirements:
- Being over the age of 16, except for self-employment, in which case it is necessary to be over 18.
- Obtaining the corresponding prior authorization to reside and work in Spain. This authorization must be requested by the employer offering the labour contract.
- Obtaining a visa once the residence and work authorization has been issued.
What must a foreign worker do when arriving in Spain?
After arriving in Spain, foreign workers must:
- Register in the corresponding Social Security scheme.
- Apply for a foreigner identity card.
Citizens of the European Union and their family members, provided that the latter travel with or meet said citizens, are subject to a specific legal system based on the rights recognized in the Treaties.