If you require a Foreigners' Identity Number (N.I.E.), you could apply for it at the Embassy. Your application will then be forwarded to the Spanish Police.
You can apply for your N.I.E. in person, but also someone else could do it with a power of attorney granted by you.
If someone is applying for N.I.E. on your behalf, it will have to be noted in the appropriate section on the EX 15 the application form.
To obtain a N.I.E., an applicant will have to submit PHOTOCOPIES OF THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS as well as ORIGINALS for verification:
- A completed EX15 application form (Instructions to fill it out)
- A completed 790 código 012 application form which will show proof of fee payment.
- 13.10 CAN $ administration fee (year 2017). Only cash, certified cheque or Money Order made out to "Embassy of Spain" will be accepted.
- Documentation which proves that you require a N.I.E. For instance, a copy of a will as well as a death certificate to accept an inheritance, written communication with a real estate agency for the purchase of a property in Spain, etc..
- Passport. If an applicant is a EU national, an EU Identity Card can be submitted instead.
Processing time to obtain a N.I.E is usually 3 weeks.