If the studies have a duration of over three months, an applicant must request a visa and MUST submit PHOTOCOPIES OF THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS as well as ORIGINALS for verification:
- A valid passport or travel document recognized by Spain with a minimum validity equal to the intended stay in Spain.
- If the applicant is not a Canadian citizen, he/she must provide documentation proving his/her residence status in Canada (permanent residence permit, working permit, study permit, etc.)
- Confirmation of school registration.- Letter issued by the academic institution in Spain or, if it is a students’ exchange, a letter issued by both academic institutions.
- Overseas medical insurance coverage.
- Proof of accommodation: Hotel reservation or confirmation letter from the Academic Institution indicating the conditions of your accommodation. Private housing must be accompanied by a notarized invitation.
- Proof of financial reliability.- Bank statements, scholarships, etc. An minimum amount of CAN $ 1.000 per month of stay is required.
If your parents are to cover the costs, you must present a notarized letter signed by them indicating their consent and a copy of their bank statement for the last two months.
- If the duration of the stay is over six months, a medical certificate issued by your family doctor worded as follows:
- If the duration of the stay is over six months, a Police Check issued by the authorities of all the countries where an applicant has resided for the last 5 years, including Canada.
We will not accept Police Checks issued by local Police Stations.
NOTE: The Police Check should be issued by the RCMP and contain the fingerprints of the visa applicant. You can find information on how to obtain one here.
- Flight reservation or travel itinerary.
- A completed and signed visa application form with one (1) recent full-face photograph attached to its right top corner. The photograph should be a Canadian passport size picture, in color, on a light, plain and uniform background, without dark glasses or any garment that may prevent identification of the applicant
- Visa fee: CAN $ 88.80 (year 2016), except when a reciprocity fee applies to other countries, such as Canada and USA. Visa processing fee for Canadians is $ CAN 125.00. Please refer to the consular fee chart for other nationalities. Only cash, money order or certified cheque payable to the "Embassy of Spain" will be accepted.
Please note that during the examination of a visa application, some additional documents may be requested in order to determine that all requirements to obtain the visa are met.
Also, a Spanish translation of all submitted documents may be required in accordance to the provisions of Section 36 of the Spanish Public Administration and Administrative Procedures Act 30/1992.
In some cases, a personal interview with an applicant may also be required.
This information is not binding and does not alter or replace the relevant regulations, which shall always prevail.
NOTE: Applicants residing in the National Capital Region must come IN PERSON to the Embassy to apply.
For more information please contact the Visa Department at the Embassy of Spain (Tel: 613 747-2252, ext. 1)
It is advisable not to finalize any plans nor make any payment concerning travel dates until you have been advised that your student visa has been approved.
PROCESSING STUDENT VISAS NORMALLY TAKES 4 WEEKS.