Student visas

NOTE: The consular jurisdiction of the Spanish Embassy in Ottawa covers only the National Capital Region (Ottawa and Gatineau).
If you live in a city other than Ottawa and Gatineau, you should apply for your visa at the Spanish Consulate General in Toronto or Montreal according to their consular jurisdictions.​

If the studies have a duration of over three months, an applicant must request a visa and MUST submit PHOTOCOPIES OF THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS as well as ORIGINALS for verification:

  • A valid passport or travel document recognized by Spain with a minimum validity equal to the intended stay in Spain.
  • If the applicant is not a Canadian citizen, he/she must provide documentation proving his/her residence status in Canada (permanent residence permit, working permit, study permit, etc.)
  • Confirmation of school registration.- Letter issued by the academic institution in Spain or, if it is a students’ exchange, a letter issued by both academic institutions.
  • Overseas medical insurance coverage.
  • Proof of accommodation: Hotel reservation or confirmation letter from the Academic Institution indicating the conditions of your accommodation. Private housing must be accompanied by a notarized invitation.
  • Proof of financial reliability.- Bank statements, scholarships, etc. An minimum amount of CAN $ 1.000 per month of stay is required.
    If your parents are to cover the costs, you must present a notarized letter signed by them indicating their consent and a copy of their bank statement for the last two months.
  • If the duration of the stay is over six months, a medical certificate issued by your family doctor worded as follows:

“This medical certificate states that Mr./Mrs. ….. does not suffer from any diseases that may have serious consequences on public health in accordance with the provisions contained in the 2005 International Health Regulations.”

  • If the duration of the stay is over six months, a Police Check issued by the authorities of all the countries where an applicant has resided for the last 5 years, including Canada.
    NOTE: The Police Check should be issued by the RCMP and contain the fingerprints of the visa applicant. You can find information on how to obtain one here.
  • We will not accept Police Checks issued by local Police Stations.
  • Flight reservation or travel itinerary.
  • A completed and signed visa application form with one (1) recent full-face photograph attached to its right top corner. The photograph should be a Canadian passport size picture, in color, on a light, plain and uniform background, without dark glasses or any garment that may prevent identification of the applicant
  • Visa fee: CAN $ 88.80 (year 2016), except when a reciprocity fee applies to other countries, such as Canada and USA. Visa processing fee for Canadians is $ CAN 125.00. Please refer to the consular fee chart for other nationalities. Only cash, money order or certified cheque payable to the "Embassy of Spain" will be accepted.

Please note that during the examination of a visa application, some additional documents may be requested in order to determine that all requirements to obtain the visa are met.
Also, a Spanish translation of all submitted documents may be required in accordance to the provisions of Section 36 of the Spanish Public Administration and Administrative Procedures Act 30/1992.
In some cases, a personal interview with an applicant may also be required.
This information is not binding and does not alter or replace the relevant regulations, which shall always prevail.

NOTE: Applicants residing in the National Capital Region must come IN PERSON to the Embassy to apply.
For more information please contact the Visa Department at the Embassy of Spain (Tel: 613 747-2252, ext. 1)
It is advisable not to finalize any plans nor make any payment concerning travel dates until you have been advised that your student visa has been approved.


  • 05 May @MAECgob * Exposición Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
  • 05 May @MAECgob * Presentación moneda de 30€ de plata de 2016, conmemorativa del IV centenario de la muerte de Miguel de Cervantes.
  • 04 May @MAECgob * El #SEUE, Fernando Eguidazu, mantuvo ayer reunión con el secretario de Estado suizo, Jaques de Watteville
  • 04 May @MAECgob * RT @EmbEspRusia: Embajador imparte conferencia sobre España pasado viernes en Univers. de Finanzas de Moscú https:/…
  • 04 May @MAECgob * RT @EmbEspAustria: 29 de abril tuvo lugar mesa redonda bilateral hispano-austriaca “Mujeres, Paz y Seguridad.
  • 04 May @MAECgob * RT @EmbajadaEspBUD: Tras pasar por #Budapest, ¡TAPAS Spanish Design for Food, organizada por @ACEcultura finalista en premios ADI 2016! htt…
  • 04 May @MAECgob * RT @EmbEspTT: #España participando en el homenaje a #Cervantes y #Shakespeare en la Asociación de Estados del Caribe @ACS_AEC
  • 04 May @MAECgob * RT @Defensagob: #VÍDEO Rescate de 430 migrantes en el Mediterráneo. Nuestros compañeros de la @Armada_esp dan los primeros auxilios https:/…
  • 04 May @MAECgob * Hoy a las 19:00 Acto de inauguración de la Exposición Miguel de Cervantes en el Palacio de Santa Cruz @400Cervantes
  • 04 May @MAECgob * RT @SpainOSCE: #NP sistema sera tan seguro como lo sea su nexo mas debil Presidencia #España #1540 #CSNU Debate seguridad @OSCE https://t.c
  • 04 May @MAECgob * RT @SpainOSCE: Importante debate seguridad @OSCE FSC terrorismo y armas destruccion masiva #1540 #CSNU #Polonia #España
  • 04 May @MAECgob * Más información sobre otras contribuciones de #España a @Eurpeace @EEDemocracy @AnnaLindh @IHRA_news y @aseforg en:
  • 04 May @MAECgob * RT @MarcaEspana: ¡@Expofooding1 llega a Madrid! La gran cita de la gastronomía mundial, hasta el 5 de mayo en la capital española https://t…
  • 04 May @MAECgob * El Consejo de Ministros aprobó una contribución de 200.000€ a la Unión por el Mediterráneo @UfMSecretariat
  • 04 May @MAECgob * #GarcíaMargallo, ha recibido hoy al ex MAE de #Serbia y ex presidente de la Asamblea General de #ONU, #VukJeremić
  • MAEC / Sede Palacio de Santa Cruz
    Plaza de la Provincia, 1
    28012 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 379 97 00
  • MAEC / Sede Palacio de Viana
    Duque de Rivas, 1
    28071 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 379 97 00
  • MAEC / Sede Torres Ágora
    Serrano Galvache, 26
    28033 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 379 97 00
    Avda. Reyes Católicos, 4
    28040 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 583 81 00 / 01
    Fax: 91 583 83 10 / 11
  • Dirección General de Españoles en el Exterior y de Asuntos Consulares y Migratorios
    Ruiz de Alarcón, 5 (esq. Juan de Mena, 4)
    28014 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 379 17 00
Gobierno de España
©Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores y Cooperación
Portal gestionado por la Oficina de Información Diplomática