Frequently Asked Questions
Click on the question to reveal its answer.



How can I get the Foreigner Identification Number (NIE)? 

It is very easy to request the NIE, but you will need to come to the Embassy. It is fully explained here.

I have been given a traffic fine/ticket in Spain. How can I pay for it? 

You will have to pay through the Sede Electrónica of the Spanish Traffic Authority (Dirección General de Tráfico). 

Can I travel to Spain with my pet?  

Travelling with pets is regulated by the EU. Please be aware of the restrictions posed by AENA (Spanish Airport Authority) and check the website of the Spanish Ministry of Agriculture. The rules are different if you travel with a cat, dog or ferret (perros, gatos y hurones) than if you travel with other animals (otros animales). It is also advisable to check with your airline and your vet whether other rules apply.

I got married in Spain. How can I request a marriage certificate? 

You have to request it to the Civil Registry in Spain. Please refer to this website for further information.

My underage son/daughter is travelling to Spain on his/her own or with relatives other than his/her parents. Does he/she need documents other than his/her passport? 

As a general rule, a child under 18 years of age can travel on his own to Spain if he holds a valid passport. It is always advisable to check whether the airline the child is travelling with needs supplementary documentation.   

Even in the absence of any requirements, it is always good to have the parents' written consent. The parents can compose a letter of consent themselves. It can be in the language of the country of destination or in English. The letter should include the travel details and the parents' contact information and be signed by them.

More information is available in the website of the Finnish Ministry for Foreign Affairs.

I’m travelling from Finland to Spain and I have to carry prescription medication with me. What should I do?


You can travel to Spain from any EU airport with medication bought in Finland as a part of a treatment. If you need to travel with your medicines, please bear in mind the following:

- Carry your medication in your hand luggage (check your airline’s regulations before travelling). If you can, pack a spare supply of medication in your checked-in or hold luggage. Bear in mind that if your baggage is lost, you will also lose your medication. Although it is possible that your treatment is available in Spain, it is also possible that it is only available through hospital or medical prescription.

- Always carry your medication in its original, correctly labelled package. Do not extract it to put it in a pillbox or a different box.

- Take your doctor’s prescription with you. The prescription should show the treatment that has been prescribed, its dosage and the names of both doctor and patient. Also carry a translation of the prescription into Spanish or English. Bear in mind that Border Control or Customs Agents may ask you to prove that the medication you carry is really yours.

-Do not carry other people’s medications in your luggage.

-It is also good to have a medical report (translated into Spanish or English) with your personal data, the illness the medication was prescribed for, the treatment that has been prescribe and its dosage. It can be very useful in case of inspection or if you need a new prescription in Spain.

- If you need to take other medical equipment (e.g.  needles or syringes) with you, you will need a medical report that certifies the need to use that equipment, as it can be requested by Customs Agents or airline/airport Security Officers. Check if your airline has any restrictions regarding this type of equipment. 

- There are specific rules that apply to controlled substances (in Spanish: medicamentos psicotrópicos y/o estupefacientes sometidos a fiscalización internacional), i.e. medicines that are included in the Lists I to IV of the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs of 1961 as amended by the 1972 Protocol. These medicines are controlled by EU authorities, so if you need to take them with you to Spain as part of a treatment, you will need a document called a Schengen Certificate. In Finland these documents are obtained at pharmacies. Please read the information in the and Finnish Customs websites.

If you need further information, you can visit AENA’s website (in English).


  • 22 Jan @EmbEspFinlandia * RT @rajavartijat: The Government has decided to tighten restrictions on border traffic in order to improve the infectious disease situation…
  • 22 Jan @EmbEspFinlandia * ⚠️Mañana sábado 23.01 la Embajada abrirá de 10h a 13h para atención de solicitudes de voto ERTA.
  • 22 Jan @EmbEspFinlandia * RT @SpainMFA: The Spanish Government has approved the "Universal Access Plan: Sharing COVID-19 #Vaccines", jointly drafted by @SpainMFA and…
  • 20 Jan @EmbEspFinlandia * RT @MAECgob: 🗳️ Por decisión del Tribunal Superior de Justicia de #Cataluña, se ha adoptado como medida cautelar la reanudación de las #ele…
  • 19 Jan @EmbEspFinlandia * RT @MAECgob: 📢 @ACEcultura abre una nueva #convocatoria de #ayudas a la #movilidad en el marco del Programa para la Internacionalización de…
  • 19 Jan @EmbEspFinlandia * RT @EspanjaSuomessa: How well do you know some of Spain's most emblematic monuments? Here's the basilica of #LaSagradaFamila, a masterpiece…
  • 19 Jan @EmbEspFinlandia * RT @TurismoEspGob: 🌐El secretario de Estado de @TurismoEspGob, Fernando Valdés, ejerce de anfitrión en la reunión del Comité Mundial de Cri…
  • 19 Jan @EmbEspFinlandia * RT @oapngob: 🏔️🌃Pueblos blancos. El macizo principal de la Sierra de las Nieves domina el paisaje desde cualquier punto, siendo la principa…
  • 18 Jan @EmbEspFinlandia * RT @SpainMFA: 🌐 Why invest in #Spain? ✅ 4th economy of the #EU ✅ Leader in infrastructure ✅ A competitive global economy and in the 🇪🇺…
  • 18 Jan @EmbEspFinlandia * RT @culturagob: 📚 ‘La familia de Pascual Duarte’, ‘La colmena’, ‘Viaje a la Alcarria’, ‘San Camilo, 1936’… Premio Nobel, Premio Cervantes,…
  • 18 Jan @EmbEspFinlandia * RT @MAECgob: 🔴 #EleccionesCataluña: ante la situación epidemiológica del #COVID19, se ha suspendido la celebración de las elecciones al Pa…
  • 15 Jan @EmbEspFinlandia * RT @edu_deu: Consulta el último número de @red_ele con artículos y entrevistas de interés para el profesorado de español @AccEducativaExt @…
  • 14 Jan @EmbEspFinlandia * RT @IC_Bremen: 💡¿Sabías que la #BibliotecaElectrónica de @Bibliotecas_IC mantiene una colección super actualizada de #cómics y novela gráfi…
  • 14 Jan @EmbEspFinlandia * Para vuestra agenda 📆 cultural @IGNSpain
  • Atlas Redes Sociales
  • Embajadas y Consulados
  • Sede Electrónica
  • Página de Participación Ciudadana
  • Página Portal de Transparencia
  • Sede Palacio de Santa Cruz
    Plaza de la Provincia, 1
    28012 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 379 97 00
  • Sede Palacio de Viana
    Duque de Rivas, 1
    28071 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 379 97 00
  • Sede Torres Ágora
    Serrano Galvache, 26
    28033 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 379 97 00
  • Sede Pechuán
    C/ Pechuán, 1
    28002 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 379 17 00
    Avda. Reyes Católicos, 4
    28040 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 583 81 00 / 01
    Fax: +34 91 583 83 10 / 11
Gobierno de España
©Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores, Unión Europea y Cooperación
Portal gestionado por la Dirección General de Comunicación, Diplomacia Pública y Redes
Premio Ciudadanía 2016
Premio Ciudadanía 2016