Entry Requirements
This section describes the different requirements currently in force for entering Spanish territory.
Entry into Spain for stays not exceeding 90 days within a 180-day period is subject to the conditions provided for in Regulation (EU) Nº 2016/399, of the European Parliament and of the Council, of 9 March 2016 on a Union Code on the rules governing the movement of persons across borders (Schengen Borders Code)
Being in possession of a valid passport or travel document
The document must be valid for al least three months following the projected exit from the territory of the Members States, and must have been issued within the last ten years. Citizens from any State of the European Union, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein only need a valid national identity document or passport. Citizens from the United Kingdom and Ireland will require a passport since their countries are not members of the Schengen Area. In the event of a minor travelling with a national identity document, the latter must be accompanied by parental authorization.
Being in possession of a valid visa

This is required of nationals of third countries included on the list of countries whose nationals must be in possession of a visa when crossing the external borders, unless in possession of a valid residence permit or a valid long-term visa issued by another Member State.
Foreigners holding a valid residence permit or a long-term visa issued by another Schengen State may travel through the territory of the other Schengen States for a maximum of 90 days within any 180-day period, provided that they are in possession of a valid passport or travel document, that they justify the purpose and conditions of their intended stay, substantiate having sufficient means to support themselves for the duration of their intended stay in Spain, and that they can prove they are not threat to public health, public order, national security, or international relations of Spain or of other States with which Spain has an agreement to this end. Furthermore, they must not to appear on the national list of alerts [for refusal of entry] of the Member State in question.
At any event, entry may be refused (even with a valid passport and/or visa) at police checks in the following cases:

-  Journeys undertaken for the purposes of tourism or for private reasons
In these cases, the presentation of any of the following documents may be required:
1.  A supporting document from the establishment providing accommodation or a letter of invitation from a private individual if the foreigner concerned is staying in their home, issued by the Police Station corresponding to their place of residence.
IMPORTANT: Under no circumstances shall the letter of invitation replace the foreigner's accreditation of all other entry requirements.
2.   Confirmation of the booking of an organised trip, indicating the itinerary.
3.   A return or round-trip ticket.
In order to substantiate economic means, the provisions of Order PRE/1282/2007, of 10 May, on economic means, shall be taken into account, which provides that foreigners must demonstrate that they have sufficient means of support available in order to enter Spain. The minimum amount that must be substantiated is € 90 per person per day, with a minimum of € 810 or its legal equivalent in foreign currency.
- Journeys of a professional, political, scientific, sporting or religious nature or undertaken for other reasons

The presentation of any of the following documents may be required:
1.  Invitation from a company or an institution to take part in meetings, conferences, etc., of a commercial, industrial or similar nature.
2. Document proving the existence of commercial, industrial relations, etc.
3. Entry tickets to trade fairs, congresses, conventions, etc.
4. Invitations, tickets, bookings or programmes indicating, as far as possible, the name of the host organisation and the duration of the stay, or any other document indicating the purpose of the visit.
- Journeys undertaken for the purposes of study or other types of training

The presentation of any of the following documents may be required:
1.  Certificate of enrolment at a teaching centre for the purposes of attending theoretical or practical training courses.
2. Certificates related to the courses to be attended.

Exceptionally, the presentation of medical certificates may be required by the Ministry of Home Affairs, in accordance with guidelines from the Ministry of Health, Social Services and Equality or the Ministry of Employment and Social Security, or pursuant to European Union legislation. The need to present these certificates shall be made known sufficiently in advance, as far as possible.
Not being subject to a ban on entry (recorded in the S.I.S. [Schengen Information System] or in the National Register).
The following are causes for refusing entry:
1.  Having previously been expelled or returned by Spain or another Schengen State.
2. Having been expressly denied entry for activities contrary to the interests of Spain, activities against human rights, or for close links with criminal organisations.
3. Being subject to an international arrest for criminal activities.
4. Being considered a threat to the public health, public order, national security, or international relations of Spain or of other States with which Spain has agreements in this end.
5. Having already stayed for 90 days during a 180-day period.


  • 06 Apr @EmbajadaEspAust * @World_Traveler7 @ConsuladoEspMel @CGEspSydney Con @qatarairways sigue habiendo vuelos con destino final Madrid y B… https://t.co/WHz4tUTdwG
  • 06 Apr @EmbajadaEspAust * @Carmarj65 @CREdeCanberra Si todavía tiene problemas para encontrar un vuelo comercial de regreso a España entre la… https://t.co/14poj7WCKL
  • 06 Apr @EmbajadaEspAust * 3/3 SI AÚN ASÍ TIENES PROBLEMAS PARA ENCONTRAR UN VUELO COMERCIAL DE REGRESO A ESPAÑA: ➡️ Cumplimenta por favor el… https://t.co/5MEhgPqcTn
  • 06 Apr @EmbajadaEspAust * 2/3 Estamos en contacto con dichas aerolíneas para que mantengan sus vuelos y frecuencias a España, ofreciendo la m… https://t.co/yeoGwTGuZM
  • 06 Apr @EmbajadaEspAust * 1/3 ❗️REITERAMOS - NO ESPERES MÁS y reprograma tu vuelo ✈️de regreso a España 🇪🇸 con las líneas aéreas comerciales… https://t.co/oegu9hGZfG
  • 06 Apr @EmbajadaEspAust * @Clariitaii @MAECgob @CGEspSydney @ConsuladoEspMel Si quiere llamar a la Embajada de España en Canberra 0262733555.… https://t.co/J1Jz3BZJwM
  • 06 Apr @EmbajadaEspAust * @Dingoos_ Si aun tiene problemas en encontrar un vuelo comercial de regreso, cumplimente el formulario colgado en n… https://t.co/VDvrjtXfTz
  • 06 Apr @EmbajadaEspAust * @pulguitutos @CGEspSydney @ConsuladoEspMel @MAECgob En el apartado correspondiente indique "no tengo vuelo". Gracias
  • 05 Apr @EmbajadaEspAust * RT @ConsuladoEspMel: Quantas retoma sus vuelos de Melbourne a Londres en 4 domingos consecutivos. @EmbajadaEspAust @CGEspSydney
  • 05 Apr @EmbajadaEspAust * @SandraLM4496 @CGEspSydney @ConsuladoEspMel @MAECgob Gracias por sus amables palabras en estos momentos. Insistimos… https://t.co/lz3vbKc619
  • 04 Apr @EmbajadaEspAust * @Marina38585555 Rogamos contacte directamente con la compañía British Airways para más información ➡️ contact.basyd@ba.com
  • 04 Apr @EmbajadaEspAust * @Isafederer @ConsuladoEspMel @MAECgob @CGEspSydney Puede consultar más información sobre visados en nuestra web
  • 04 Apr @EmbajadaEspAust * RT @MAECgob: 🎥 @AranchaGlezLaya: “Hemos puesto en marcha, a través de un sitio web, un mecanismo de alojamiento solidario de urgencia para…
  • 04 Apr @EmbajadaEspAust * @ConsuladoEspMel @MAECgob @CGEspSydney https://t.co/xWiaX4iNtJ https://t.co/R4V1Y98bOQ
  • 04 Apr @EmbajadaEspAust * RT @ConsuladoEspMel: IMPORTANTE: Gobierno australiano anuncia cambios en materia de visados temporales. Urge a los poseedores de visados de…
  • Cuenta de Twitter del Ministerio en Inglés
  • Blog del Ministerio
  • Página de Participación Ciudadana
  • Página Portal de Transparencia
  • MAUC / Sede Palacio de Santa Cruz
    Plaza de la Provincia, 1
    28012 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 379 97 00
  • MAUC / Sede Palacio de Viana
    Duque de Rivas, 1
    28071 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 379 97 00
  • MAUC / Sede Torres Ágora
    Serrano Galvache, 26
    28033 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 379 97 00
    Avda. Reyes Católicos, 4
    28040 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 583 81 00 / 01
    Fax: 91 583 83 10 / 11
  • Dirección General de Españoles en el Exterior y de Asuntos Consulares
    C/ Pechuán, 1
    28002 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 379 17 00
Gobierno de España
©Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores, Unión Europea y Cooperación
Portal gestionado por la Dirección General de Comunicación, Diplomacia Pública y Redes
Premio Ciudadanía 2016
Premio Ciudadanía 2016