Residence Visa for Retirees

The Consulate General in Miami has jurisdiction over the following States: Florida, Georgia and South Carolina. If your permanent residence is in one of these States you must apply at this Consulate. If your permanent residence is in another State contact the Consulate that has jurisdiction over your State.

Honorary Viceconsulates of Spain are not allowed to issue visas. 

This visa allows a foreigner to reside in Spain as a retired without working.

To apply for this visa, the following requirements must be submitted in person:


1. Two National Visa Application forms completed and signed.

2. Two recent pictures, passport size pictures (white background) glued to the application forms.

3. Passport with a validity superior of one year and at least two empty pages (copy of all pages).

4. Permit to return to the United States of America in the form of: a resident card, or a student/work visa that is stamped on the passport and is valid for a period of three months beyond the expected duration of stay in the Schengen area, or the period of validity of the visa, whichever is longer. (N/A TO US CITIZEN).

5. Driver License or State I.D. with current address.

6.  Original certificate of good conduct (police clearance) issued by the US Department of Justice - Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
Contact FBI at (304) 625-3878 or at

Currently, the applicant may choose to bring, instead of the certificate from FBI, the State “Public criminal background check” issued by the Department of Law Enforcement” of Florida, Georgia or South Carolina.

This document, either the FBI one or the Department of Law Enforcement one, has to be translated into Spanish and legalized with the Apostille Certification where police clearance letter was issued.

If the applicant has spent six month or more during the last five years in another country, he/she must submit the police record from that country, legalized with the Apostille Certification and translated into Spanish. If the country is not part of the Hague Convention the document must be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then by the Spanish Consulate of that country.
This certificate cannot be older than 3 months from the application date.

Note: Local police reports or on-line reports are not acceptable.

7.  Local Health Certificate with letterhead, stamp, and signature of the Doctor translated into Spanish.

Effective immediately, June 2009, health certificates submitted to this office must verify that applicant/patient is free of any illnesses that could have serious repercussions to public health and that could easily spread internationally.
The first list includes smallpox, poliomyelitis by wild poliovirus, the human influenza caused by a new subtype of virus and the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). The second list includes cholera, pneumonic plague, yellow fever, viral hemorrhagic fevers (e.g.: Ebola, Lassa, Marburg), West Nile Virus and other illnesses of special importance nationally or regionally (e.g.: Dengue Fever, Rift Valley Fever and meningococcal disease).

For this reason, the mandatory health certificate that should be submitted with residence visa applications and student visa applications for more than 180 days of stay, must verify the information listed above in a manner similar to the following:
"This health certificate verifies that Mr. /Mrs. /Ms (...) does not suffer from any illnesses that could cause serious repercussions to public health according to the specifications of the international sanitary regulation of 2005."
This certificate cannot be older than 3 months from the application date.

8. Original certificate of a public or private institution certifying that you receive a retirement settlement, specifying its monthly amount, translated into Spanish.

9. Proof of any other type of income in Spain or USA (bank statements of the last year and investments).

10. Proof of accommodation in the city where you want to live as follow:

• Notarized invitation letter from a family or friend where he/she asumes responsibility for lodging, or
• Lease, or
• Deed of the property or
• Letter explaining the reason why you have chosen that city in particular.

11. Proof of health insurance with full coverage in Spain.

12. Authorization of residence application EX01-Formulario.pdfEX01-Form.pdf

13. Authorization of initial residence Fee. Tasas extranjería - Modelo impreso 790. Código 052.pdfForm 790. Código 052.pdf

14. Visa Fee, payable with MONEY ORDER to the order of "CONSULATE GENERAL OF SPAIN".

The resolution of your application might take up to 4 months. Be advised that special conditions for certain cases may apply.



  • Atlas Redes Sociales
  • Embajadas y Consulados
  • Sede Electrónica
  • Página de Participación Ciudadana
  • Página Portal de Transparencia
  • Sede Palacio de Santa Cruz
    Plaza de la Provincia, 1
    28012 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 379 97 00
  • Sede Palacio de Viana
    Duque de Rivas, 1
    28071 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 379 97 00
  • Sede Marqués de Salamanca
    Plaza del Marqués de Salamanca, 8
    28006 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 379 97 00
  • Sede Pechuán
    C/ Pechuán, 1
    28002 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 379 17 00
    Avda. Reyes Católicos, 4
    28040 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 583 81 00 / 01
    Fax: +34 91 583 83 10 / 11
Gobierno de España
©Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores, Unión Europea y Cooperación
Portal gestionado por la Dirección General de Comunicación, Diplomacia Pública y Redes
Premio Ciudadanía 2016
Premio Ciudadanía 2016