Long-Term Visas
These visas entitle their holders to reside, work, study or research in Spain.

Procedures and conditions for issuing these visas can be found in Organic Law 4/2000 and in its Regulations, approved by Royal Decree 557/2011.
These visas entitle their holders to reside, to reside and work, to study, or to research in Spain. All foreigners wishing to enter Spain to reside, reside and work, or study, need to hold a visa of this kind, unless they are citizens of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland

Applications for long-term visas must be submitted through a duly completed application form (original and copy), which may be downloaded for free on this website or may also be obtained for free at Spain's Diplomatic Missions or Consular Posts abroad.


Visa applications must be filed in person. However, applications may also be filed by a duly accredited representative if you do not reside in the town or city where the Diplomatic Mission or Consular Office is located and you can demonstrate due cause preventing you from travelling, such as the distance from the Diplomatic Mission or Consular Office in question, transport difficulties that make the journey particularly problematic or accredited reasons related to a sickness or physical condition that significantly reduces your mobility.
When submitting an application for a visa, an established fee must be paid (generally € 60), which shall not be refunded in the event of the application being denied. In certain cases, which should be consulted at Spanish Diplomatic Missions or Consular Posts, current legislation sets forth a reduction or waiver of the fee. Other requirements should be consulted at the Diplomatic Mission or Consular Post where the visa is to be applied for, because they can vary depending on the reason for the trip and the applicant's country of origin.

Persons wishing to reside in Spain must obtain prior information about the procedures from the relevant bodies, mainly from the Ministry of the Interior and the Ministry of Employment and Social Security.


The deadline for processing long-term visa applications is one month after the application has been submitted, except for the case of non-lucrative residence visas, in which the deadline shall be three months. In the event that a visa is issued, it must be collected personally at the relevant Diplomatic Mission or Consular Post within a month after notification of issuance.
In the event that a visa is refused, the applicant shall be notified. In this case, a contentious-administrative appeal may be lodged before the High Court of Justice of Madrid within two months after the notification date, or, optionally, an appeal for reversal before the same Diplomatic Mission or Consular Post within a month after the refusal notification date.

Long stay (more than 90 days out of every 6 months).
All foreign citizens who do not hold the nationality of a European Union member state, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, must obtain a Long Stay Visa if they wish to stay in Spain for a period of over 90 days per semester.
There are three types of Long Stay Visas:
Residency: This visa allows the holder to live in Spain without working or performing any professional activities.
Work and residence: This visa allows the holder to work while living in Spain.
Student: This visa allows the holder to live in Spain while studying, researching or participating in an internship.
If you are a dependent of a citizen of one of the EU member states or a citizen of Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, you will only  need to apply for a Long Stay Visa if you are required to do so and wish to live in Spain.
For obtaining a Visa, please, click on the correspondent button at "More information"


  • 17 Jul @CogLosangeles * Nos sumamos a la celebracion del #17July "Dia de la Justicia Internacional" #JusticeMatters
  • 16 Jul @CogLosangeles * Tercer aniversario de #3MarcaEspana https://t.co/0YeFmH0Z0I
  • 15 Jul @CogLosangeles * Estreno mundial de la película española "Last Strike" este viernes 17 de julio. http://t.co/LbttWaOSbM
  • 16 Jun @CogLosangeles * Como complemento información nacionalidad sefardíes: http://t.co/SdyvdWTq7M
  • 16 Jun @CogLosangeles * Próximo 1 octubre entrará en vigor Ley Concesión Nacionalidad Española a sefardíes originarios de España, aprobada en Cortes pasado día 11.
  • 04 Jun @CogLosangeles * Inicio temporada teatral espanola en LA con: http://t.co/lQqIeeFi6S http://t.co/LAvufrleBK http://t.co/s5shl8JBHL
  • 04 Jun @CogLosangeles * RT @MAECgob: Desarrollamos la campaña #ViajaSeguroMAEC para tus viajes al extranjero. ¡Mira el anuncio! http://t.co/QrqKeazivE" target="_blank">http://t.co/QrqKeazivE http://t.co/
  • 30 May @CogLosangeles * Primer festival internacional de paella y vino en San Diego. Asistiran Alcalde y Cónsules Generales Mexico y Espana. http://t.co/Vtfl1SLdP7
  • 30 May @CogLosangeles * Gran éxito de público en la ceremonia de entrega premios 23 certamen literario "Escribo en Español en Los Ángeles http://t.co/Be4YJ0GyW2
  • 13 May @CogLosangeles * Exposición fotográfica de Rubén Afanador: Angel Gitano explora y celebra el mundo masculino del flamenco gitano. http://t.co/xesjcZOGgO
  • 13 May @CogLosangeles * Andre & Dorine by Kulunka Teatro: A poignant depiction of love and aging disrupted by Alzheimer’s disease. http://t.co/lQqIeenHfk
  • 08 May @CogLosangeles * Sesión informativa sobre fiscalidad para españoles no residentes en España, ahora en youtube. Mas informacion: http://t.co/Yt03WZ8h3E
  • 08 May @CogLosangeles * Primera visita del Consul General a comunidades de españoles en Arizona y Utah ha resultado muy satisfactoria http://t.co/vlnRQYicIK
  • 30 Apr @CogLosangeles * El Consulado General está muy satisfecho de estar conectado a Twitter y espera contar con muchos seguidores. Estamos a su disposición.
  • MAEC / Sede Palacio de Santa Cruz
    Plaza de la Provincia, 1
    28012 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 379 97 00
  • MAEC / Sede Palacio de Viana
    Duque de Rivas, 1
    28071 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 379 97 00
  • MAEC / Sede Torres Ágora
    Serrano Galvache, 26
    28033 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 379 97 00
    Avda. Reyes Católicos, 4
    28040 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 583 81 00 / 01
    Fax: 91 583 83 10 / 11
  • Dirección General de Españoles en el Exterior y de Asuntos Consulares y Migratorios
    Ruiz de Alarcón, 5 (esq. Juan de Mena, 4)
    28014 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 379 17 00
Gobierno de España
©Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores y Cooperación
Portal gestionado por la Oficina de Información Diplomática