Visa for an Aupair Agreement
VERY IMPORTANT: We cannot overstate the importance of paying the utmost attention to filling out the application and the accompanying information. INCOMPLETE OR INCORRECT APPLICATIONS WILL BE REJECTED, REQUIRING THE APPLICANT TO MAKE A NEW APPOINTMENT AT A LATER DATE.
• Applicant must be between 17 and 30 years old.
• This visa must be applied for in person or through a legal representative (only parent or guardian). 
• Applications will not be accepted more than 120 days in advance.

1. Visa application form (Original and photocopy): The application form must be filled out and signed.
2. One passport-type photo. (White Background, 2x2") glued to the form.
3. Passport or Travel Document. (Original and photocopy of the main page). Passport should be no older than 10 years. Please make sure your passport has at least one blank page for the new visa.
4. I.D. Card that proves your place of residence is within the jurisdiction of the Spanish Consulate of Los Angeles (Original and a photocopy). You can provide one of the following documents: U.S. Driver license, State I.D. card, Voter’s Registration Card, current Student I.D. 
5. (Non-US. Citizens only) Alien Registration Card or long term U.S. Visa. (Original and a photocopy.
- Holders of B-1 and B-2 Visas cannot apply in the United States; they must apply in their country of residence or country of origin. 
- Applicants holding Student Visas must also submit their I-20 signed by the university on the last page and a copy of their F-1 Visa. 
6. Acceptance letter. Letter of acceptance as a full-time student in Spain from the Spanish University/School and U.S. program, indicating name, address, and registration of the school with the Ministry of Education and Science of Spain and duration of the program (dates of start and finish). In other cases (student exchanges, un-paid internships o voluntary services), it is necessary to submit all the corresponding documents.
7. Contract of Au Pair Agreement duly signed by both parties (Host Family and Student) (original and photocopy)
8. Proof of sufficient funds to live in Spain and for return home. A translation of proof of funds by a Sworn Spanish Translator is required, unless the original form of the document (s) is available in Spanish.
The availability of means of living can be presented by means of cash, convertible monies, certified checks, travellers checks. If presenting the latter, a full statement showing the current balance is required, or any other means by which the available amount on the credit card or bank account can be reliably proven. Neither letters from bank entities, nor printed statements obtained online will be accepted. Any of the following documents will be acceptable:
-Your latest 3 bank statements that show your name and that you meet the minimum requirements of funds
- Statement from the University, School or U.S. Program assuming full financial responsibility for room and board (normally included in the “Letter of Acceptance”).
- Proof of financial aid, loan or scholarship that meets the minimum requirements a month, for room and board.
- Notarized letter of parents/guardians, along with the last 3 bank statements, in which they assume full financial responsibility that meets the minimum requirements link per month for room and board. Suggested wording: “I hereby certify that I the (father, mother, other) of (…), will support her/him with a monthly allowance of (...) monthly while she/he is in Spain and that I am financially responsible or any emergency that may arise.”
Translation: a translation of proof of funds by a Sworn Spanish Translator is required, unless the original form of the document (s) is available in Spanish. For bank statements, the translation of only the page (s) showing the beginning and ending balances of each month’s statements will be accepted, entire month statements do not need to be translated unless requested by the Consulate in order to prove sufficient funds.

9. Proof of Public or private health insurance obtained from an insurance provider authorized to operate in Spain. More information. Also, see common questions and issues for details.
10. Medical Certificate: (Original, photocopy and a translation): It must be recent (Issued within the last 3 months), include letter-head and handwritten signature of a doctor (M.D. or D.O.) with the following format  (Please see specifications attached). Also, see common questions and issues for details.
11. Certification of “absence of police records” (18 years of age or older) (Original, photocopy, translation into Spanish, photocopy of translation): Obtain a background check verified by fingerprint comparison. This document is valid for 3 months in reference to the date that it was issued. It must be legalized with the “Apostille of The Hague” and then translated into Spanish.
The background check can be issued by either:
(a) The U.S. Justice Department– FBI Federal Bureau of Investigation and must be legalized with the “Apostille of The Hague” by the Secretary of State in Washington D.C.
(b) The State Justice Department (all states where the applicant has resided in the last 5 years) and the document must be legalized with the “Apostille of The Hague” by the Secretary of State of said state.
See common questions and issues for details about the background check or the Apostille of The Hague.
12. Applicants who are under 18 years of age must attach:
• A notarized authorization letter from their parents or legal guardians to study in Spain.
• Information of the Host Family including: Names, Addresses, and Photocopies of D.N.I.
• Sworn Declaration of the Host Family expressing their knowledge of the stay of the minor is not for means of adoption, and their promise to return the minor to his/her home country.   
13. Payment of the Visa Fees is accepted with money orders. Money orders are to be addressed to the General Consulate of Spain Los Angeles. Money will not be reimbursed even if the visa is not granted or is cancelled. See common questions and issues for details.
14. Disclaimer, properly signed.
When you have finished gathering the needed documentation, you may use this Check List as a guide to make sure you have everything ready for your appointment.
Once you Arrive in Spain
The visa from our department will only be valid for 90 days. Don't worry, this is normal. During the first month of your stay in Spain, you must go to the Local Police station to receive your full visa. They will ask for some original documents, which we certify at the Consulate, and then issue you a ''Tarjeta de Identificación de Extranjero'' (NIE). This card validates your residency until the listed expiration date. Note that the dates will be formated DAY/MONTH/YEAR.
The Consulate Administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those listed above. Please be informed that submitting the mentioned documents does NOT guarantee issuance of the visa. Documents presented for the visa application will not be returned.​
  • Atlas Redes Sociales
  • Embajadas y Consulados
  • Sede Electrónica
  • Página de Participación Ciudadana
  • Página Portal de Transparencia
  • Sede Palacio de Santa Cruz
    Plaza de la Provincia, 1
    28012 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 379 97 00
  • Sede Palacio de Viana
    Duque de Rivas, 1
    28071 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 379 97 00
  • Sede Torres Ágora
    Serrano Galvache, 26
    28033 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 379 97 00
  • Sede Pechuán
    C/ Pechuán, 1
    28002 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 379 17 00
    Avda. Reyes Católicos, 4
    28040 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 583 81 00 / 01
    Fax: +34 91 583 83 10 / 11
Gobierno de España
©Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores, Unión Europea y Cooperación
Portal gestionado por la Dirección General de Comunicación, Diplomacia Pública y Redes
Premio Ciudadanía 2016
Premio Ciudadanía 2016