Visa for Student Dependents
VERY IMPORTANT: We cannot overstate the importance of paying the utmost attention to filling out the application and the accompanying information. INCOMPLETE OR INCORRECT APPLICATIONS WILL BE REJECTED, REQUIRING THE APPLICANT TO MAKE A NEW APPOINTMENT AT A LATER DATE.​
• This visa must be applied for in person or through a legal representative (only parent or guardian) at the same time than the student. 
• Applications will not be accepted more than 120 days in advance.
1. Visa application form (Original and photocopy): The application form must be filled out and signed.
2. One passport-type photo. (White Background, 2x2") glued to the form.
3. Passport or Travel Document. (Original and photocopy of the main page). Passport should be not older than 10 years. Please make sure your passport has at least one blank page for the new visa.
4. I.D. Card that proves your place of residence is within the jurisdiction of the Spanish Consulate of Los Angeles (Original and a photocopy). You can provide one of the following documents: U.S. Driver license, State I.D. card, Voter’s Registration Card, current Student I.D. 
5. (Non-US. Citizens only) Alien Registration Card or long term U.S. Visa. (Original and photocopy).
- Holders of B-1 and B-2 Visas cannot apply in the United States; they must apply in their country of residence or country of origin. 

- Applicants holding Student Visas must also submit their I-20 signed by the university on the last page and a copy of their F-1 Visa. 
6. Marriage Certificate - Legalized with the Apostille of the Hague (Original, photocopy, translation and photocopy of translation)
7. Birth Certificate (Applicants under 18 only) - Legalized with the Apostille of The Hague. Original, photocopy, translation and photocopy of translation.
8. Acceptance letter (photocopy) Letter of acceptance of your spouse as a full-time student in Spain from the Spanish University/School and U.S. program, indicating name, address, and registration of the school with the Ministry of Education and Science of Spain; full payment tuition and duration of the program (dates of start and finish). In other cases (student exchanges, un-paid internships or voluntary services), it is necessary to submit all the corresponding documents.
9. Proof of sufficient funds to live in Spain and for return home. A translation of proof of funds by a Sworn Spanish Translator is required, unless the original form of the document (s) is available in Spanish.
The availability of means of living can be presented by means of cash, convertible monies, certified checks, travellers checks. If presenting the latter, a full statement showing the current balance is required, or any other means by which the available amount on the credit card or bank account can be reliably proven. Neither letters from bank entities, nor printed statements obtained online will be accepted. Any of the following documents will be acceptable:
-Your latest 3 bank statements that show your name and that you meet the minimum requirements of funds
- Statement from the University, School or U.S. Program assuming full financial responsibility for room and board (normally included in the “Letter of Acceptance”).
- Proof of financial aid, loan or scholarship that meets the minimum requirements a month, for room and board.
- Notarized letter of parents/guardians, along with the last 3 bank statements, in which they assume full financial responsibility that meets the minimum requirements per month for room and board. Suggested wording: “I hereby certify that I the (father, mother, other) of (…), will support her/him with a monthly allowance of (...) monthly while she/he is in Spain and that I am financially responsible or any emergency that may arise.”
Translation: a translation of proof of funds by a Sworn Spanish Translator is required, unless the original form of the document (s) is available in Spanish. For bank statements, the translation of only the page (s) showing the beginning and ending balances of each month’s statements will be accepted, entire month statements do not need to be translated unless requested by the Consulate in order to prove sufficient funds.  
10. Proof of Public or private health insurance obtained from an insurance provider authorized to operate in Spain. More information
11. Medical Certificate: (Original, photocopy and a translation):Only for programs over 180 days. It must be recent (Issued within the last 3 months), include letter-head and handwritten signature of a doctor (M.D. or D.O.) with the following format  (Please see specifications attached). Also, see common questions and issues for details.
12. Certification of “absence of police records” (18 years of age or older) (Original, photocopy, translation into Spanish, photocopy of translation): Obtain a background check verified by fingerprint comparison. This document is valid for 3 months in reference to the date that it was issued. It must be legalized with the “Apostille of The Hague” and then translated into Spanish.
The background check can be issued by either:
(a) The U.S. Justice Department– FBI Federal Bureau of Investigation and must be legalized with the “Apostille of The Hague” by the Secretary of State in Washington D.C.
(b) The State Justice Department (all states where the applicant has resided in the last 5 years) and the document must be legalized with the “Apostille of The Hague” by the Secretary of State of said state.
See common questions and issues for details about the background check or the Apostille of The Hague.
13. Payment of the Visa Fees is accepted with money orders. Money orders are to be addressed to the General Consulate of Spain Los Angeles. See the following link for fees. Money will not be reimbursed even if the visa is not granted or is cancelled. See common questions and issues for details.
14. Disclaimer duly signed.
When you have finished gathering the needed documentation, you may use this Checklist Visa for Student Dependents.pdfChecklist Visa for Student Dependents.pdf as a guide to make sure you have everything ready for your appointment.
The Consulate Administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those listed above. Please be informed that submitting the mentioned documents does NOT guarantee issuance of the visa. Documents presented for the visa application will not be returned.
  • Instagram
  • Twitter SpainMFA
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • MAEUEC / Sede Palacio de Santa Cruz
    Plaza de la Provincia, 1
    28012 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 379 97 00
  • MAEUEC / Sede Palacio de Viana
    Duque de Rivas, 1
    28071 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 379 97 00
  • MAEUEC / Sede Torres Ágora
    Serrano Galvache, 26
    28033 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 379 97 00
    Avda. Reyes Católicos, 4
    28040 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 583 81 00 / 01
    Fax: 91 583 83 10 / 11
  • Dirección General de Españoles en el Exterior y de Asuntos Consulares y Migratorios
    C/ Pechuán, 1
    28002 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 379 17 00
Gobierno de España
©Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores, Unión Europea y Cooperación
Portal gestionado por la Dirección General de Comunicación e Información Diplomática
Premio Ciudadanía 2016
Premio Ciudadanía 2016