Visa Exempt from Requesting a Work Permit

Allows foreigners to perform artistic, teaching, cultural, religious or scientific activities

VERY IMPORTANT: We cannot overstate the importance of paying the utmost attention to filling out the application and the accompanying information. INCOMPLETE OR INCORRECT APPLICATIONS WILL BE REJECTED, REQUIRING THE APPLICANT TO MAKE A NEW APPOINTMENT AT A LATER DATE.
• Application must be submitted in person.
• The application must be submitted no more than 90 days in advance to the intended travel date
• The processing fee will not be returned even if your Visa is denied.
• Residence Visas must be picked up within one month, counting from the following day after receiving the approval notification. Failing to do so within this period of time, the visa will expire.
Documentation to Submit:
*Note that all documents for this visa need to be in Spanish. Documents that can only be obtained in English should be translated by a Sworn Translator (click here for more information). Bring originals and photocopies of all documents and translations.
1. Visa application form (Original and photocopy): The application form must be filled out and signed.
2. One passport-type photo. (White Background, 2x2") glued to the form.
3. Passport or Travel Document. (Original and photocopy of the main page). Passport should be no older than 10 years. Please make sure your passport has at least one blank page for the new visa.
4. I.D. Card that proves your place of residence is within the jurisdiction of the Spanish Consulate of Los Angeles (Original and a photocopy). You can provide one of the following documents: U.S. Driver license, State I.D. card, Voter’s Registration Card, current Student I.D. 
5. (Non-US. Citizens only) Alien Registration Card or long term U.S. Visa. (Original and a photocopy).
- Holders of B-1 and B-2 Visas cannot apply in the United States; they must apply in their country of residence or country of origin. 
- Applicants holding Student Visas must also submit their I-20 signed by the university on the last page and a copy of their F-1 Visa
8. Documentation that proves your personal situation is included in one of the cases covered by this visa. See Appendix 1 (After the documentation to submit
9. Medical Certificate: (Original, photocopy and a translation): It must be recent (Issued within the last 3 months), include letter-head and handwritten signature of a doctor (M.D. or D.O.) with the following format (Please see specifications attached). See common questions and issues for details.
10. Certification of “absence of police records” (18 years of age or older) (Original, photocopy, translation into Spanish, photocopy of translation): Obtain a background check verified by fingerprint comparison. This document is valid for 3 months in reference to the date that it was issued. It must be legalized with the “Apostille of The Hague” and then translated into Spanish.
The background check can be issued by either:
(a) The U.S. Justice Department– FBI Federal Bureau of Investigation and must be legalized with the “Apostille of The Hague” by the Secretary of State in Washington D.C.
(b) The State Justice Department (all states where the applicant has resided in the last 5 years) and the document must be legalized with the “Apostille of The Hague” by the Secretary of State of said state.  
See common questions and issues for details about the background check or the Apostille of The Hague.
11. Documentation proving economic funds sufficient for the duration of residence or proof of a minimum reoccurring monthly income.  The minimum amount will increase for every additional member of the family. Original, photo copy and translation into Spanish.
12. Proof of Insurance that covers Sanitary Assistance, Accidents, Emergencies, Evacuation, Medical Repatriation, Return of Remains with complete international coverage, with ZERO (0) deductible, no co-payment. It must be from a company that is authorized to operate in Spain. No other type of insurance will be accepted. (Requirements attached) Also see common questions and issues for details.
13. Disclaimer properly signed.
14. Payment of the Visa Fees is accepted with money orders. Money orders are to be addressed to the ''General Consulate of Spain Los Angeles''. See the following link for fees. Money will not be reimbursed even if the visa is not granted or is cancelled.
• Spouse of the main applicant should submit his/ her own application with the same documents plus the Marriage certificate authenticated with the Apostille of The Hague  and translated into Spanish.
• Children of the main applicant should submit their own application with the same documents plus the Birth certificate authenticated with the Apostille of The Hague and translated into Spanish.
Once you Arrive in Spain:
The visa from our department will only be valid for 90 days. Don't worry, this is normal. During the first 30 days of your stay in Spain, you must go to the Local Police station to receive your full visa. They will ask for some original documents, which we certify at the Consulate, and then issue you a ''Tarjeta de Identificación de Extranjero'' (NIE). This card validates your stay until the listed expiration date. Note that the dates will be formated DAY/MONTH/YEAR.
a) Technicians, researchers and scientists invited or employed by a Spanish Public Administration, Comunidades Autónomas, universities, local entities or organizations that have as objective the promotion and development of research promoted mainly by those stated.
- This circumstance is to be proven by submission of the invitation or contract of employment, signed by whomever have been assigned legal representation of corresponding body, containing the description of the project and the professional profile required for its development.
b) Specialized technicians, faculty, researchers, and scientists employed by a Spanish University.
- This circumstance is to be proven by submission of the invitation or contract of employment, signed by whoever has been assigned legal representation of the corresponding Spanish university. 
c) Administrators and faculty of educational or cultural institutions dependent on other countries, or private, of accredited prestige, officially recognized in Spain.
- This circumstance is to be proven by submission of documentation that justify:
  1. ​The validity of diplomas received in Spain, in the country of the institute’s main campus.
  2. Work Contract
  3. In case of private entities, documentation that shows its official recognition in Spain.
d) Civil servants and military personnel of foreign governments participating in activities which have been outlined in a bilateral agreement of cooperation with Spanish authorities.
- This circumstance is to be proven by submission of the certificate issued by the appropriate foreign state's administration and justification of said activities.

e) News correspondents of foreign media.
- This circumstance will be proven by endorsement from the Dirección General de Comunicaión as correspondents or of special assignment

f) Members of international scientific missions.
- This circumstance will be credited with the certification from the State or Regional (Comunidades Autónomas) Governments to be part of an international mission.
g) Artists who will perform specific activities in Spain, which do not assume continuous performances.
- In these cases a short term “Schengen Visa” will be processed.
h) Ministers, members of a church, and representatives of the different churches or confessions.
- This circumstance is to be proven by submission of:
  1. Certificate from the Ministerio de Justicia that the church, confession or religious community is registered in said Ministry.
  2. Certificate issued by the church, confession or religious community stating the applicant currently has the right to minister for said organization and that all activities that will be had in Spain will be strictly for religious purposes. Also, that said organization will assume responsibility of all living expenses, as to complete the requirements of the Social Security regulations.
  3. Statutes and Regulations of the Organization.
Seminary students, those studying to become ministers and lay persons should apply for the Non-Lucrative Residence Visa. See instructions.
i) Representatives or Board members of internationally recognized business organizations or unions.

- This circumstance will be proven with credited documentation from said representation.

j) Minors of working age under the legal custody of a Child Protection Agency
- This circumstance will be proven with documentation that the agency mentioned exercises the right of legal guardianship to the minor and that this activity will strengthen the social integration of the minor.
The Consulate Administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those listed above. Please be informed that submitting the mentioned documents does NOT guarantee issuance of the visa. Documents presented for the visa application will not be returned.​​
  • Atlas Redes Sociales
  • Embajadas y Consulados
  • Sede Electrónica
  • Página de Participación Ciudadana
  • Página Portal de Transparencia
  • Sede Palacio de Santa Cruz
    Plaza de la Provincia, 1
    28012 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 379 97 00
  • Sede Palacio de Viana
    Duque de Rivas, 1
    28071 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 379 97 00
  • Sede Torres Ágora
    Serrano Galvache, 26
    28033 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 379 97 00
  • Sede Pechuán
    C/ Pechuán, 1
    28002 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 379 17 00
    Avda. Reyes Católicos, 4
    28040 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 583 81 00 / 01
    Fax: +34 91 583 83 10 / 11
Gobierno de España
©Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores, Unión Europea y Cooperación
Portal gestionado por la Dirección General de Comunicación, Diplomacia Pública y Redes
Premio Ciudadanía 2016
Premio Ciudadanía 2016