Study Visa for more than 90 days and less than 180 days
VERY IMPORTANT: We cannot overstate the importance of paying the utmost attention to filling out the application and the accompanying information. INCOMPLETE OR INCORRECT APPLICATIONS WILL BE REJECTED, REQUIRING THE APPLICANT TO MAKE A NEW APPOINTMENT AT A LATER DATE.​

- If applicant is under 18 years of age, they must be accompanied by at least one parent.

- Only applications from residents within the Los Angeles Consulate jurisdiction will be accepted. If you do not live within our Consular Jurisdiction your application will not be accepted under any circumstance.

- All visas must be picked up in person by the applicant
- Applications will not be accepted more than 120 days in advance.

1. Visa application form: The application form must be thoroughly filled out and signed.
2. Passport-type photo. One professionally-taken photo is required, it must have a white background, the face should be clearly visible, the size of the photo should be 2x2 inches (5x5 cm). No self-made and printed photos will be accepted.
3. Passport or Travel Document. (Original and photocopy of the main page). Passport should be no older than 10 years. The passport must have at least two blank pages.
4. I.D. Card that proves your place of residence is within the jurisdiction of the Spanish Consulate of Los Angeles (Photocopy and original). You can provide one of the following documents: U.S. Driver license, State I.D. card, Voter’s Registration Card, current Student I.D. 
5. (Non-US. Citizens only) U.S. Resident Alien Card or valid U.S. long term Visa. (Original and photocopy): Holders of B-1 and B-2 Visas cannot apply in the United States; they must apply in their country of residence or country of origin. Applicants holding Student Visas must also present their I-20 (original and copy) signed by the university on the last page and a copy of their F-1 Visa. 
6. Admission letter. Letter of admission as a full-time student in Spain from the Spanish University/School and U.S. programme, indicating name, address, and registration of the school with the Ministry of Education and Science of Spain and duration of the programme working towards some form of certificate or degree.

All admission letters must have precise dates of start and finish and an official seal (stamp or signature, or electronic signature). Admission letters not bearing an official stamp or signature, nor precise programme dates will not be accepted.

In other cases (student exchanges, un-paid internships or voluntary services), it is necessary to submit a corresponding document from the institution of acceptance.
7. Proof of accumulated sufficient funds for the duration of your stay in Spain. All accumulated proof of funds must be available at the time of submitting the application. Please see the minimum monthly requirements here: minimum requirements of funds.

Proof of funds can be presented by means of cash, convertible monies, certified checks, travellers checks. Neither letters from bank entities, nor printed statements simply obtained and printed online will be accepted. The following types of proof are accepted:
- All pages of your 3 latest bank statements obtained directly from the bank that show your name and that the ending balance satisfies the minimum requirements of funds.
- Statement from the University, School or U.S. Program assuming full financial responsibility for room and board (normally included in the “Letter of Admission”). An original letter is required, with an official seal (and signature) of the issuing institution. Online printouts or photo copies will not be accepted.
- Proof of financial aid, loan or scholarship already available at the time of applying that meets the minimum requirements for the duration of the stay. An original letter is required, with an official seal (and signature) of the issuing institution. Online printouts or photo copies will not be accepted.
- Notarised letter of parents/guardians' statements in which they assume full financial responsibility that meets the minimum requirements link per month for room and board. Suggested wording: “I hereby certify that I the (father, mother, other) of (…), will support her/him with a monthly allowance of (...) monthly while she/he is in Spain and that I am financially responsible or any emergency that may arise.” And all pages of their 3 latest bank statements obtained directly from the bank that show their name and that the ending balance meets the minimum requirements of funds.
Translation: a translation of proof of funds by a Sworn Spanish Translator certified by the Spanish Government (no local companies) is required, unless the original form of the document(s) is available in Spanish. For bank statements, the translation of only the page(s) showing the beginning and ending balance(s) of each month’s statements will be accepted, entire month statements do not need to be translated unless specifically requested by the Consulate in order to prove sufficient funds. 
8. Proof of health insurance from a private or public company with no co-pay (or deductible) is required. The provider must be authorized to operate in Spain. No travel insurances with medical assistance coverage will be accepted. 

-An example of acceptable insurance providers can be found here: Insurance providers (for stays over 90 days).
-For more details see following link: common questions and issues.

Translation: a translation by a Sworn Spanish Translator of the declaration page showing information on the insured persons, dates, coverage, policy type is required. A translation is not needed if the document is available originally in the Spanish language
9. Applicants under 18 years of age at the time of their appointment must present:
• A notarised authorisation letter from their parents or legal guardians to study in Spain. 
• Information of the Host Family including: names, addresses, and photocopies of D.N.I. 
• Sworn Declaration of the Host Family expressing their knowledge of the stay of the minor is not for means of adoption, and their promise to return the minor to his/her home country.

10. Visa Fee: Payments are made at the time of your appointment, only money order is accepted (no cash, no credits cards, no debit cards, no personal checks). Money orders are to be addressed to the ''Consulate General of Spain Los Angeles''. 

The visa fee will not be reimbursed even if the visa is not granted or is cancelled. See common questions and issues for details.

11. Disclaimer duly signed and attached to the application.
For references purposes only, please find a simple Check List of the required documents for this visa. 
The Consulate Administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those listed above. Please be informed that submitting the mentioned documents does NOT guarantee issuance of the visa. Documents presented for the visa application will not be returned.
  • Atlas Redes Sociales
  • Embajadas y Consulados
  • Sede Electrónica
  • Página de Participación Ciudadana
  • Página Portal de Transparencia
  • Sede Palacio de Santa Cruz
    Plaza de la Provincia, 1
    28012 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 379 97 00
  • Sede Palacio de Viana
    Duque de Rivas, 1
    28071 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 379 97 00
  • Sede Marqués de Salamanca
    Plaza del Marqués de Salamanca, 8
    28006 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 379 97 00
  • Sede Pechuán
    C/ Pechuán, 1
    28002 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 379 17 00
    Avda. Reyes Católicos, 4
    28040 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 583 81 00 / 01
    Fax: +34 91 583 83 10 / 11
Gobierno de España
©Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores, Unión Europea y Cooperación
Portal gestionado por la Dirección General de Comunicación, Diplomacia Pública y Redes
Premio Ciudadanía 2016
Premio Ciudadanía 2016