Residence Visa (Non-Lucrative)

​For non-working individuals (with an reliable, ongoing source of income and substantial savings) who wish to reside in Spain for more than 3 months.

VERY IMPORTANT: We cannot overstate the importance of paying the utmost attention to filling out the application and the accompanying information. INCOMPLETE OR INCORRECT APPLICATIONS WILL BE REJECTED, REQUIRING THE APPLICANT TO MAKE A NEW APPOINTMENT AT A LATER DATE.
 Application must be submitted in person.
• The application must be submitted no more than 90 days in advance to the intended travel date
• The processing fee will not be returned even if your Visa is denied.
• Residence Visas must be picked up within one month, counting from the following day after receiving the approval notification. Failing to do so within this period of time, the visa will expire.
*Note that all documents for this visa need to be in Spanish. Documents that can only be obtained in English should be translated by a Sworn Translator (click here for more information). Bring originals and photocopies of all documents and translations.
1. Visa application form (Original and photocopy): The application form must be filled out and signed.
2. One passport-type photo. (White Background, 2x2") glued to the form.
3. Passport or Travel Document. (Original and photocopy of the main page). Passport should be no older than 10 years. Please make sure your passport has at least one blank page for the new visa.
4. I.D. Card that proves your place of residence is within the jurisdiction of the Spanish Consulate of Los Angeles (Original and a photocopy). You can provide one of the following documents: U.S. Driver license, State I.D. card, Voter’s Registration Card, current Student I.D. 
5. (Non-US. Citizens only) Alien Registration Card or long term U.S. Visa. (Original and a photocopy).
- Holders of B-1 and B-2 Visas cannot apply in the United States; they must apply in their country of residence or country of origin. 
- Applicants holding Student Visas must also submit their I-20 signed by the university on the last page and a copy of their F-1 Visa. 
8. Medical Certificate: (Original, photocopy and a translation): It must be recent (Issued within the last 3 months), include letter-head and handwritten signature of a doctor (M.D. or D.O.) with the following format (Please see specifications attached). See common questions and issues for details.
9. Certification of “absence of police records” (18 years of age or older) (Original, photocopy, translation into Spanish, photocopy of translation): Obtain a background check verified by fingerprint comparison. This document is valid for 3 months in reference to the date that it was issued. It must be legalized with the “Apostille of The Hague” and then translated into Spanish.
The background check can be issued by either:
(a) The U.S. Justice Department– FBI Federal Bureau of Investigation and must be legalized with the “Apostille of The Hague” by the Secretary of State in Washington D.C.
(b) The State Justice Department (all states where the applicant has resided in the last 5 years) and the document must be legalized with the “Apostille of The Hague” by the Secretary of State of said state.  
See common questions and issues for details about the background check or the Apostille of The Hague.
10. Documentation proving economic funds sufficient for the duration of residence or proof of a minimum reoccurring monthly income.  The minimum amount will increase for every additional member of the family. There must be proof of significant savings and proof of re-occuring, non-working income. Original, photo copy and translation into Spanish (translated by a Sworn Spanish Translator) is required, unless the original form of the document (s) is available in Spanish.
The availability of means of living can be presented by means of  convertible monies, certified checks, travellers checks. If presenting bank statements, a full statement showing the current balance is required, or any other means by which the available amount on the  bank account can be reliably proven. Neither letters from bank entities, nor printed statements obtained online will be accepted.
11. Proof of Insurance that covers Sanitary Assistance, Accidents, Emergencies, Evacuation, Medical Repatriation, Return of Remains with complete international coverage, with ZERO (0) deductible, no co-payment. It must be from a company that is authorized to operate in Spain. No other type of insurance will be accepted. (Requirements attached) Also see common questions and issues for details.
12. Payment of the Visa Fees is accepted with money orders. Money orders are to be addressed to the ''General Consulate of Spain Los Angeles''. Money will not be reimbursed even if the visa is not granted or is cancelled. See common questions and issues for details.
13. Disclaimer, properly signed.
• Spouse of the main applicant should submit his/ her own application with the same documents plus the Marriage certificate authenticated with the Apostille of The Hague  and translated into Spanish. (Bring photcopies of the original documents and the translations)
• Children of the main applicant should submit their own application with the same documents plus the Birth certificate authenticated with the Apostille of The Hague and translated into Spanish. (Bring photcopies of the original documents and the translations)
When you have finished gathering the needed documentation, you may use this visa Documents Checklist​​ as a guide to make sure you have everything ready for your appointment.
To check on the status of your Visa, click hereYou will need the personal code that will be given to you during your interview. Information about your Visa status will not be given to you by telephone or by email.
Once you Arrive in Spain
The visa from our department will only be valid for 90 days. Don't worry, this is normal. During the first 30 days of your stay in Spain, you must go to the Local Police station to receive your full visa. They will ask for some original documents, which we certify at the Consulate, and then issue you a ''Tarjeta de Identificación de Extranjero'' (NIE). This card validates your stay until the listed expiration date. Note that the dates will be formated DAY/MONTH/YEAR.
The Consulate Administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those listed above. Please be informed that submitting the mentioned documents does NOT guarantee issuance of the visa. Documents presented for the visa application will not be returned.
  • Instagram
  • Twitter SpainMFA
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • MAEUEC / Sede Palacio de Santa Cruz
    Plaza de la Provincia, 1
    28012 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 379 97 00
  • MAEUEC / Sede Palacio de Viana
    Duque de Rivas, 1
    28071 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 379 97 00
  • MAEUEC / Sede Torres Ágora
    Serrano Galvache, 26
    28033 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 379 97 00
    Avda. Reyes Católicos, 4
    28040 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 583 81 00 / 01
    Fax: 91 583 83 10 / 11
  • Dirección General de Españoles en el Exterior y de Asuntos Consulares y Migratorios
    C/ Pechuán, 1
    28002 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 379 17 00
Gobierno de España
©Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores, Unión Europea y Cooperación
Portal gestionado por la Dirección General de Comunicación e Información Diplomática
Premio Ciudadanía 2016
Premio Ciudadanía 2016