Study Visa
The student’s visa allows the holder to remain in Spain in order to pursue courses, studies, research or training programs.
Before applying
Make sure your permanent residency is within the jurisdiction of this Consulate
Make sure you have all the right documentation for the visa in which you are applying
Make an appointment to apply at the Consulate.
To apply for a visa at the Consulate General of Spain in Los Angeles a confirmed appointment will be needed.
To make an appointment, please click here.

Required documents

1. National visa application form.pdfNational visa application form.pdf and copy: The application form must be signed and filled out in print.
2. Two passport-type photos: (see specifications) Size 2"x2" is valid.
3. Passport and copy : Passport valid for the length of your studies in Spain, with at least one blank page to affix the visa.
4. I.D. card and copy of either of the following: US Driver’s license, US State ID card, Voter’s Registration Card, current Student ID.
5. Non-Us citizens will have to provide Evidence of their Immigration Status in the US (Non-US passport holders only): Provide and “alien Registration Card” or a US Visa with I-20 / IAP-66
6. Acceptance letter: Original letter of acceptance as a full-time student in Spain from the Spanish University/School and US program indicating: name, address, phones, e-mail, and registration number of the school with the Ministry of Education of Spain; full payment tuition; duration of the program (date of start & date that finishes); subjects of study; hours of study per week (20 at least). Please note that no application will be accepted without the original letter.
7. Evidence of funds: Provide either of the following:
- Statement from the University School or US program assuming full financial responsibility for room and board.
- Proof of financial aid or scholarship of at least 1.500€ per month, for room and board.
- Notarized letter from parents/guardians assuming full financial responsibility for at least 1.500€ per month, for room and board. Suggested wording: “I hereby certify that I, the (father, mother, other) of (..), will support her/him with a monthly allowance of 1.500€ while she/he is in Spain and that I am financially responsible for any emergency that may arise.
8. Proof of travel /health/accident insurance: a letter from your insurance company stating that they will cover 100% (no deductibles) of the medical expenses with emergency and repatriation services and a minimum coverage of 30,000 € or its equivalent in dollars. Policies with reimbursements or co-payments will not be accepted. You can buy travel insurance from your travel agency or through the internet.
9. Medical certificate (for stays over 180 days only): Original translated into Spanish+ 1 copy
This Certificate must be signed in the hand of the doctor (M.D. or D.O.) in a letter-head paper in the following format:
“This medical certificate attests that Mr./ Mrs. ……………………… does not suffer from any illness that would pose a threat to public health according to the International Health Regulations of 2005.”
Visit the web page of the World Health Organization to learn the exact information regarding the control and containment of known risks to public health. The certificate must also bear the official stamp of the administering center; however, this will not substitute the absence of the doctor’s signature. Any amendment to this certificate or erasure may render it invalid. This certificate must be issued in the place of residence, and is valid for 3 months counting from the date it has been issued.
10. Certification of “absence of police records”, for stays over 180 days only and 18 year-old applicants and older. Original translated into Spanish and one copy will be needed. This certificate can not be older than three months from the issue date.
The certification of "absence of police records" should be certified by the police authorities of all places where the applicant has resided during the past five years.
In the U.S., this certificate must be issued by the FBI – Criminal Record History or FBI Identification Report -, It should be verified with a fingerprint card. Process to follow:
Contact the FBI: (304) 625 3878 o by mail to: Federal Bureau of Investigation Special Correspondence unit. 1000 Custer Hollow Road. Clarksburg, WV 26306.
State level background checks issued by the State/s where the applicant has resided in the past five years will be accepted as well.
This certificate must be stamped with the "Apostille of The Hague" . Contact the Secretary of State in the State the document has been issued.
If the country where the police record was issued is not the U.S., the certificate must be legalized by the Spanish Consulate in that country or with the "Apostille of The Hague".
11. Visa fee: money order made out to Consulate General of Spain. Please check the fee schedule. Fees 
12. Self-addressed USPS envelope: For your passport to be returned by mail, bring a  pre-paid self-addressed express mail envelope from the US Postal Service with appropriate postage, and completed mailing label with your name and address en the "From" and "To" boxes, waiver of signature box checked and mailer signature. No other courier service is accepted. Tracking of mailed items is the responsibility of the applicant.
Notice to applicants of a student visa over 180 days:
Please, be aware of documents #9 and #10
Within a month upon arrival in Spain, you must also request a pertinent Student ID Card from the Spanish Police (Policia Nacional)

Where to apply
Apply at this Consulate if you study or your permanent address is in: Southern California (County of Imperial, Inyo, Kern, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and  Ventura), Arizona, Colorado or Utah.
Otherwise, please, check the appropriate Consulate.
How to apply

1. Apply in person with an appointment.

2. By a representative (only parent or guardians, written, notarized authorization needed).
3. No visa will be processed by mail.

4. Students  under 18 years old: a notarized letter of authorization form the parents or guardians is required.

5. Study Abroad Program Directors and / or Coordinators may request authorization from this Consulate to act as legal representatives for a group of students (email:
To make an appointment please use the link in this page, at the section Before applying.
When to apply
Applications will not be accepted more than 120 days in advance to start of studies.
Visas for student’s dependents (spouse and children under 18 years of age) may be requested simultaneously. 
Visa processing takes around 30 days. Please contact us only if you have not received your visa 7 days before the date of your departure. We will need your full name, date of birth and date of departure.


  • 26 May @CogLosangeles * Today is the National Wine Day, enjoy this day with a glass of Spanish Wine! #NationalWineDay #VisitSpain
  • 25 May @CogLosangeles * Following foodsteps of Ancient Rome in Spain. via @WhyGoSpain @TurismoSegovia @toledoturismo
  • 25 May @CogLosangeles * Good morning everyone! Enjoy the day!
  • 25 May @CogLosangeles * RT @TotallySpain: Totally Spain’s Guide to Useful Apps for Travelling in Spain #VisitSpain
  • 25 May @CogLosangeles * Spanish composer, Nacho Arimany, concert Wednesday May 25 in Topanga Canyon. @nachoarimany
  • 24 May @CogLosangeles * Lagunas del Ruidera. Don Quijote's inspiration for his adventures. @Lakelubbers #Almagro
  • 24 May @CogLosangeles * Consul con Rioja ayer en Los Angeles. @RiojaWine #wine #Rioja #VisitSpain
  • 24 May @CogLosangeles * The Grand Canyon’s North Rim Just Re-Opened For The Season. via @HuffingtonPost #California #tourism
  • 24 May @CogLosangeles * El sistema humanitario mundial esta al límite. #CumbreMundialHumanitaria @WHSummit necesaria para mejorar arquitectura humanitaria mundial.
  • 24 May @CogLosangeles * Chinchon, taste and tradition in the same place close to Madrid. @spanishsabores #VisitSpain
  • 23 May @CogLosangeles * RT @magramagob: G.Tejerina: La industria española de alimentación y bebidas se consolida en el mundo
  • 23 May @CogLosangeles * Buenos días! "Lo que se sabe sentir, se sabe decir" cervantes. #400Cervantes @InstCervantes #mondaymotivation #FrasesCervantinas
  • 21 May @CogLosangeles * Discover some of the lovely places of Spain. via @el_pais #FridayFeeling #VisitSpain #culture
  • 21 May @CogLosangeles * Festivalgoers can sip wine and sample Jamon Iberico at the Rioja Wine and Tapas Festiva via @ladailynews #LosAngeles
  • 21 May @CogLosangeles * RT @OliveOils_Spain: Some of the worlds best recipes are found in Spain Each region is home to a #foodie culture ht…
  • MAEC / Sede Palacio de Santa Cruz
    Plaza de la Provincia, 1
    28012 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 379 97 00
  • MAEC / Sede Palacio de Viana
    Duque de Rivas, 1
    28071 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 379 97 00
  • MAEC / Sede Torres Ágora
    Serrano Galvache, 26
    28033 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 379 97 00
    Avda. Reyes Católicos, 4
    28040 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 583 81 00 / 01
    Fax: 91 583 83 10 / 11
  • Dirección General de Españoles en el Exterior y de Asuntos Consulares y Migratorios
    Ruiz de Alarcón, 5 (esq. Juan de Mena, 4)
    28014 MADRID
    Tfno: 91 379 17 00
Gobierno de España
©Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores y Cooperación
Portal gestionado por la Oficina de Información Diplomática