FAQ Study Visa

Frequently asked questions about visa to study, carry out reserch or unpaid internship activities

1. I am an American citizen; do I need a Visa to study in your country? 
If the duration of your studies is less than 90 days, you do not need a Visa. If the duration of your studies is greater than 90 days you will need a Student Visa.

2. I am a legal resident of the U.S. and a green card holder. Do I need a visa to study in Spain?
If your nationality is found on the list of countries​ that require a Visa and the duration of your studies is less than 90 days, you will need a Schengen or short stay Visa (link). If the duration of your stay is greater than 90 days, you will need a Student Visa. 

3. What is a Schengen or Short Stay Visa?
Schengen Visa is a generic name given to the Visas issued by any of the countries within the Schengen area. This Visa allows you to travel through Spain and the Schengen area for up to 90 days. This is the type of Visa for short trips or business.  

4. Where is the Consulate?
Our address is 5055 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 860. Los Angeles, CA 90036
Phone number: (323) 938 0158
Twitter: CogLosangeles

5. What hours are you open to the public?
The Consulate is open to the public Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 12:00pm. Please, check our calendar for holiday dates on our website. (Link)

6. Do I need to make an appointment to apply for a visa?
Yes, it is absolutely necessary to make an appointment to submit your visa application. You can make the appointment on our web-page (link)

7. My family is also applying, how many appointments should we make?
Every member of the family needs their own appointment. 

8. How much is the Visa fee?
The fees vary depending on the type of passport.  The only method of payment accepted is by Money Order.  Click here to see the Visa fees (Link)

9. Do I have to apply in person?
The application must be presented in person or through a legal representative (only parents or guardians).  Study Abroad Program Directors and/or Coordinators may request authorization from this Consulate to act as legal representatives for a group of students.  Applications will not be accepted by mail. 

10. Where can I find the visa requirements online?
The Visa requirements are found on our website. www.mae.es/consulados/losangeles 

11. How long does it take for the visa to be ready?
To receive your visa on time, we ask that the applicants submit the application at least 3 weeks before their departure date.  Documents will not be accepted more than 120 days in advance to your date of departure. 

12. Your consulate is the most convenient. Can I apply for a visa there?
Every consulate has its own jurisdiction. We can only take applications from people who are residents in our jurisdiction, which is: Southern California (Counties of Imperial, Inyo, Kern, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura), Colorado, Utah, and Arizona. You may apply for a visa at this Consulate if you are a student at a university within our jurisdiction. 

13. Do I have to leave my passport in the consulate? 
14. My spouse will be with me while I study in Spain, what type of Visa does he/she need?
Your spouse will need a Student Dependent Visa.  The documentation required for this Visa is the same as yours, with the addition of a Marriage Certificate with the Apostille of The Hague. See instructions

15. What is the Apostille of The Hague?
 The Apostille of The Hague is a stamp from the Secretary of State that is issued for official U.S. documents so that they are valid in Spain. 

16. I am an American citizen; can I stay in Spain or other Schengen countries as a tourist after finishing my classes?
You can stay in the Schengen area for 90 days in a period of 180 days before your Student Visa begins or after it ends.  Make sure that you contact the police in immigration to have your Visa stamped when entering or leaving Spain, so that you start or end your stay with your Student Visa. 

17. I am here in the U.S. with a tourist visa (B1-B2) can I apply for a Visa to Spain?
No, applications from holders of a B1-B2 type Visas will not be accepted, due to the fact that this Visa does not allow permanent legal residence in the US.  You must return to your place of residence and apply from there. 

18. What will happen if I decide to stay in Spain for more time than I am allowed to be there?
If you decide to go over the time period that you are allowed to stay in Spain (or the EU) you will be there illegally. The consequences of such an act depend on Spanish or EU authorities. 

19. Can I leave Spain (or other Schengen territories) after 90 days and re-enter to stay another 90 days?
No, you are only allowed a maximum of 90 days within a 6 month period. 
This period begins on the date that you first enter Schengen area.

20. Can you mail my visa outside the US?
No, we will only mail visas within the US territory.  

21. If I do not work or am financially dependent of another person, what documents should I provide?
Latest three bank statements that include the name of the person who is covering the expenses (only parents, spouses and children will be accepted); your latest Income Tax Return that includes the name of this person and a sworn statement before a Notary stating that this person will be covering all expenses during your travels. 

22. Where can I purchase Health/Accident/Travel insurance?
You can buy the Health/Accident/Travel insurance through a travel agency or search through internet. Click here more information

23. Do I have to show all the documents asked of me or can I skip some? 
The Visa applicant must present, with no exception, all the documents that are listed on the requirements page. 

24. When and where should I pay the Visa fee?
You must pay the application fee only with a Money Order when you are at the Visa window the day of your appointment in Los Angeles.

25. Should I apply for a Visa if I have a “Travel Document” or a “Re-entry Permit” issued by the United States?
Only if your nationality requires you to. (link)

26. What does “multiple entries” mean?
With a Visa that allows multiple entries, you may leave and re-enter the Schengen area multiple times within the period of validity of the visa.

27. I am travelling with a minor, what kind of document should I provide?
In the case that the minor does not travel with both parents, you must provide a travel authorization, signed before a Notary by both parents or legal guardians.

28. I haven’t been able to make an appointment; can I show up without one?
No, only applications with appointments will be accepted.

29. I have some questions about the Visa application process, what should I do?
You can send us your questions to our email cog.losangeles.vis@maec.es or ask us in person with an appointment.

30. Is there parking close to the Consulate?
There is a parking garage in the same building (the consulate does not validate parking). You may also park for free in several of the neighbouring streets. 
  • Atlas Redes Sociales
  • Embajadas y Consulados
  • Sede Electrónica
  • Página de Participación Ciudadana
  • Página Portal de Transparencia
  • Sede Palacio de Santa Cruz
    Plaza de la Provincia, 1
    28012 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 379 97 00
  • Sede Palacio de Viana
    Duque de Rivas, 1
    28071 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 379 97 00
  • Sede Torres Ágora
    Serrano Galvache, 26
    28033 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 379 97 00
  • Sede Pechuán
    C/ Pechuán, 1
    28002 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 379 17 00
    Avda. Reyes Católicos, 4
    28040 MADRID
    Tel: +34 91 583 81 00 / 01
    Fax: +34 91 583 83 10 / 11
Gobierno de España
©Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores, Unión Europea y Cooperación
Portal gestionado por la Dirección General de Comunicación, Diplomacia Pública y Redes
Premio Ciudadanía 2016
Premio Ciudadanía 2016